Implemented Post Ratings... Bring them back?

Should TAZ Install the Post-Ratings Add-on?

• Total voters

Bitnull

Fan
View attachment 11179

Well, now I understand why you wouldn't want to implement anything. At first, thought maybe it was because of the time/creativity needed. Now its apparent you wouldn't want them used because you don't want the add-on.

Either way, look through the stats of any site using the add-on. Post Ratings are used much more than the standard "like" system, increasing activity as well as.. Seems to me, anything that at a minimum maintains or adds more activity would always be welcomed.

Your comment and vote doesn't bode well for the community here.
Lol, when I voted on the poll I didn't really have much personal interest in said add-on, after reading the comments in this thread and thinking on it, as long as the ratings are well thought out for TAZ, I think it could work.

No need for “Your comment and vote doesn't bode well for the community here” – looking through this thread, I feel as if the views are pretty balanced on both sides.

Bitnull

Fan
That's a staff decision. How is it on those that want to use and have the add-on? Which, looking at the poll, so far more want than don't. You don't have to have every adjective in the dictionary. That isn't what it is about. 10 or so ratings should suffice, and pretty much cover everything. The completely ridiculous like "I like rainbows..." shouldn't be one, or other nonsensical ones. PR can be used in this type of setting, it all depends on the time and effort of the staff to implement it. If they don't give a Shih Tzu, the add-on will reflect that, and exactly that will occur, Shih Tzu. However, if it is taken seriously, and is implemented correctly, it will be used as a powerful tool. The tone gets set immediately after installing and the options are selected. That has nothing to do with the end-user.
This is exactly what I was talking about; there are ridiculous rating options, what I was referring to was that we'd need to discuss what options would be suitable for TAZ.

Sheldon

Fan
No need for “Your comment and vote doesn't bode well for the community here” – looking through this thread, I feel as if the views are pretty balanced on both sides.

My comment is based off the fact you are an Admin here, and your opinion carries more weight. So it fits. And, as said:

The wording of the poll choice makes people's decisions seem adamant. Should have been a simple yes/no/maybe IMO.

It wasn't meant as an insult towards you, or attempting to start any argument. Just seeing it for what it was worth.

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
I am surprised by the "Ah, Could take or leave it" votes.
I was one of those.

They don't offend me; and I see your point about them being better than a rude response—so I didn't vote "never."

I don't like them. They don't further the conversation.—so I didn't vote "absolutely."

What i actually voted was "Who gives a sh*t"—but then the choice was bowdlerized.

Sheldon

Fan
I don't like them. They don't further the conversation.—so I didn't vote "absolutely."

How do they not?

A lot of times, I'll rate something and in my post explain why. Instead of just the simple "like", where I may or may not, and then not have anything to add to it.

Now they can also be used to stop the discussion, which for this site would be great.

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
Sheldon

But its you post that furthers the conversation! A post with 12 likes, 14 dislikes and a couple of LOLs, but no replies is not a conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheldon

Fan
Sheldon

But its you post that furthers the conversation! A post with 12 likes, 14 dislikes and a couple of LOLs, but no replies is not a conversation.

Obviously.

What is the difference in that and a post with 14 likes ( 12 likes and 2 lol's -- combined because of no Post Ratings) but no replies?

Sheldon

Fan
Sheldon

Obviously.

What is the difference in that and a post with 14 likes ( 12 likes and 2 lol's -- combined because of no Post Ratings) but no replies?

And to expand on that, at least with the Post Ratings, there is more of a chance for a post than not having them, seeing as how the likes have only gathered the "like" itself, someone may reply because of the rating they gave.

Nogitsune

Unleash The Beast....
Having used Post Ratings on AdEx I have to agree with Sheldon here - either we use it as it's meant to be used or we do without it. Keep the feedback coming - I'm still undecided at this point as there are clearly arguments to be made both ways.

Actually this was one of the small and silly features about Adex i actually liked and I'd love to see come back to taz.

In fact using it on Adex is what made me use it on my board when we used xenforo(and made me happy to see was also available on IPB when we converted).
It's fun. It's silly and allows for you to do more than just like a post. If someone says something I truly agree with a simple like may not suffice.

it could be a winner....
I see nothing wrong with adding it back, at the very least it'll at least bring a bit of Adex back to the site
(I truly miss adex these days but I've grown used to TAZ and it doesn't annoy me as much as before).

Besides if someone gets pissy because someone disliked or rated their post as dumb, that really says more about that person than it does about the actual rating addon itself. I also loved that the ratings were unique/creative as most XF boards who used it, actually use the default ones whereas the adex version had some creative additions.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
AdEx had some customization of the icons done by Shelley (AdEx was the proving grounds for some of her work back in the day). I probably still have the AdEx set lying around.

Last edited:

agandl

Fan
(I truly miss adex these days but I've grown used to TAZ and it doesn't annoy me as much as before).

So do I - I thought I was the only one :D

I love TAZ, I found it first and always liked it but I still do miss AdX and I actually miss the old TAZ too

New TAZ is a bit like a Labradoodle (sorry The Sandman) GREAT in its own way but neither a Labrador or a Poodle

Sheldon

Fan
AdEx had some customization of the icons done by Shelley (AdEx was the proving grounds for some of her work back in the day). I probably still have the AdEx set lying around.

The image I posted earlier, those were AdEx where they not?

The ? and wrench were the two "extra's" for there that were not included in the download.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
The image I posted earlier, those were AdEx where they not?

The ? and wrench were the two "extra's" for there that were not included in the download.

Shelley did some additional tweaks for us - the wrench, question mark and the "informative" letter i if I remember correctly.