Implemented Post Ratings... Bring them back?

Should TAZ Install the Post-Ratings Add-on?

• Total voters

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
There's been a few comments made about the Post Ratings add-on ever since TAZ migrated to the XF platform:

post-ratings.gif

The add-on was used on AdEx and hasn't quite made it over to the TAZ/AdEx merger. There are some members who want to bring the functionality back - and others... Not so much.

s.molinari suggested a poll be made - so I'm making it. Question: Do you think TAZ should add the Post Ratings add-on? Vote in the poll and perhaps add some suggestions for the different post ratings if you like.

J.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulKet

Habitué
The "Like" is good enough for me. The post ratings look cheesy and the only way I think it would fit in with TAZ is if it was modified as meetdilip suggested with "best answer", "helpful" and similar phrases.

PoetJC

Well - The cheesy comment I've heard more than a handful of times. But really - it all depends on the images used.
The add-on is highly customizeable though and can easily be modified to fit a best answer or helpful post type of functionality.

J.

zappaDPJ

I've voted 'Who cares?' but I really mean 'I don't mind'. I just didn't want to appear rude :D

PoetJC

Is that where I get to call people Drama Queens? I want that one.
Child honey!
It would be the most used post rating I'm sure! If we do get the post ratings installed with the Drama Queen option.
I'll insist that The Sandman add ==> aimageup.jacquiidesigns.com_di_CP4B.gif
LOL

J.

I've voted 'Who cares?' but I really mean 'I don't mind'. I just didn't want to appear rude :D
Perhaps change the poll option then? hahaha

KeVo

Enthusiast
I was over at Admin Extra and thought the Post Ratings was a really cool little feature. Was there maybe a couple too many? Sure. They still added something extra though.

:)

Sheldon

Fan
Considering he has now added in this addition: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/best-posts-uncover-your-top-content.3264/ It seems as if this would be a good thing.

There are a couple other Post Rating "add-ons" that are floating around as well.

If configured properly, can also be used as a community moderation feature, someone open up a complete nonsense first post, 3 / 5 / 7 or whatever # is decided rates the thread as terrible (or whatever choice), then it gets auto-locked...
Screenshot_4.png

The main issue, would be the choices of "ratings", as well as the images used. You wouldn't want to take away from the sleek and streamlined appearance that is here, so using the standard images that come with the add-on just wouldn't fit. Either way, I think for here, they all should be uniform, not a mix and match of images found around the web....

Either Shelley's, for example (would stay in line with the current smilies here):
Screenshot_5.png

A set of uniform-like images (retains the FA look used here):
Screenshot_6.png

Or get crazy and select some of the emoji icons (these are at 20px, there is a 16px sheet as well)
sheet_20.png

Or, use FA itself. It pretty much boils down to whatever would be selected as far as want you want to have as a rating.
Or, in the very end, simple text.

Should it be here, sure, I think it enhances any forum. I don't think it takes away from anything. Lots of times I'd rather slap up an "agree", or "wtf" or whatever rather than type anything. The like system is very basic, and that is okay. I just think if you have the chance to expand, you should.

I also think that all should be shown and available, positive / neutral / negative.

Anywho.

PoetJC

Should it be here, sure, I think it enhances any forum. I don't think it takes away from anything. Lots of times I'd rather slap up an "agree", or "wtf" or whatever rather than type anything. The like system is very basic, and that is okay. I just think if you have the chance to expand, you should.

I also think that all should be shown and available, positive / neutral / negative.

Nice post. I agree that installing the add-on here wouldn't take away from anything. That's why I voted for the 3rd option.
I totally agree with your last sentence though. If I had a dollar for everytime I could have "Hate" a post...or even "Meh" a post. I'd have several fistful of dollars right now!

J.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Except under a setup limited to marking posts as either 'helpful' or 'funny', I don't see why regular likes cant suffice but maybe there can be a purpose for higher granularity.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Sure, so as long as I can customize my stylesheet to not show it. :) Anything for the members.

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
Thanks for adding the poll Jacquii.

I voted for it. The post rating hack has a way to say something negative in a much more mild mannered way. I actually think that will lead to less off-topic and negatively heated discussion. You know the kind, like where how a person made a post is more important than what the post was about or where things get personal. This can be avoided, because users can simply vote something negative instead of saying it. Like the "Meh" rating.

I also liked the "I'd like to know that too" rating, which was special on AEX (and another one of my suggestions.);):)

Edit - I hope it is obvious, I didn't read the whole thread before answering.:D

Scott

Last edited:

PoetJC

Thanks for adding the poll Jacquii.

I voted for it. The post rating hack has a way to say something negative in a much more mild mannered way. I actually think that will lead to less off-topic and negatively heated discussion. You know the kind, like where how a person made a post is more important than what the post was about or where things get personal. This can be avoided, because users can simply vote something negative instead of saying it. Like the "Meh" rating.
I thought it was a good suggestion - so I posted the poll. Credit to you for having started the conversation :p
And wow. You make an exquisite point above. There's so much drama lately - Indeed a simple click of the "Meh" button or some such could probably go a long way to quelling some of that!

And wow. Interesting votes thus far. I surely thought the majority would vote no. But this doesn't seem the case at all. Surprising imo...

J.

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
I am surprised by the "Ah, Could take or leave it" votes. I wonder if that is due to lack of using the feature and not knowing what it does for you and the converstation. Your mini video is nice, but it doesn't help give that feeling of picking out a rating, which conveys more than just a "like" feeling towards a certain post. As the add-on maker says, "it's likes taken to the next level" and I agree. Some say it is too "playful" or silly and drops the seriousness of a forum. I say, great! Getting too serious is an issue and I am guilty of it myself.;)

Scott

Bitnull

Fan
We'll look into this; it's definitely something we'll need to think on (how to implement it).

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
Yup, you might be right, as it is the 6th most popular XF add-on. It would need to be one of those additions though, where the "old way" is still possible. Then again, it would be quite possible to do with the feature, as you'd just have to remove every post rating type other than just the "like".;)

Scott

PoetJC

I am surprised by the "Ah, Could take or leave it" votes. I wonder if that is due to lack of using the feature and not knowing what it does for you and the converstation. Your mini video is nice, but it doesn't help give that feeling of picking out a rating, which conveys more than just a "like" feeling towards a certain post. As the add-on maker says, "it's likes taken to the next level" and I agree. Some say it is too "playful" or silly and drops the seriousness of a forum. I say, great! Getting too serious is an issue and I am guilty of it myself.;)

Scott
Well - I voted for the "Ah. Could take it or leave it" option because it's not something that I feel is desperately needed here at TAZ. But it's not something that will take away from the TAZ experience either. I just don't feel passionately one way or the other about it. I'd imagine those who also voted the same feel the same way.

The gif I posted was from the XF resources add-on. I do a little something different, but basically the same on my forum though:

jpic-postratings.gif

You'll notice theres a Hate and Dislike options (probably overkill lol) as well as negative ratings at the end. I always felt having such options would not only encourage honesty - but would also help a writer develop. I mean - who want's to get the Major Fail or Bad Spelling or Bad Grammar or Garbage Post rating. When someone votes your post as one of those = you've got some polishing to do. You know what I mean? LOL -- The images are a bit cartoony - but it fits in with my forum style and the ton of smilies we use... Anyway - the functionality was well received... Of course this was before I started slacking as an Admin and member activity slowed to a trickle :blush:

We'll look into this; it's definitely something we'll need to think on (how to implement it).
Sounds very cool! aimageup.jacquiidesigns.com_di_XG8C.gif

Very popular, it might pop up in the HYS forum.
That'd be interesting.
I wonder what the chance of that happening are???

J.