[Possible] Increase Registrations

Discussion in 'Increasing Traffic' started by rex_b, Nov 28, 2004.

1. rex_b

rex_b Fanatic

+5
    Ok what does a company do to make you buy a product. Well first they make it look all pretty and nice. Think of Burger King commercials where they paint the frys golden yellow and make the burger look so damn big and good.

So they have the product. Now what do they do.

They flash you an ad everytime you watch tv. REPITITION is the key. The more you see it the more you are likely to purchase.

So why can't we do this same technique with forums. Well you can. Of course you have the standard.

1. Guest welcome message, trying to get them to register with a register link.
    2. Register link in navbar
    3. Quick reg hack

And of course the newest hack out, the INFO BAR (look at the very top of the attached image)
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=72279

I think this hack just ads to the repitition needed to get those people registering.

Here is a screeny of all 4 together:

Attached Files:

2. Bryan

Bryan Lost in Ohio...

+3
    I like the infobar, just got done putting that one up :) Thanks!

3. KW802

KW802 Oooh, something shiny!

+542
    Interesting hack. I was wondering how long before we'd start seeing people take advantage of the IE InfoBar like that. :cool:

4. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. ............

+110
    So I take it this isn't firefox compatible like a lot of other stuff.

So why are all these firefox advocates wanting me to get it again? I'm still yet to see an advantage for us end users other than tabbed browsing. Seeing as how so many things aren't compatible with it though, I don't see that being worht me switching.

5. Bryan

Bryan Lost in Ohio...

+3
    hmmm... since I put the infobar up, when I'm not logged in (while viewing in Firefox) the verticle scroll bar on the right side of the page doesn't show up...?

Can anyone using Firefox verify this for me. http://www.craftersutopia.com/forums/

Once I log in, the scroll bar is there...but not while I'm viewing as a guest.?

Ideas? LOL

reading thru the thread at vb.org now LOL :)

6. Mok

Mok TorontoGolfNuts.com

+1
    security is one thing, tab browsing also.

7. Bryan

Bryan Lost in Ohio...

+3
    I'm not really a fan of Firefox, just use it to check the site when I make changes...

They posted a fix for the scroll bars in Firefox...

Wrap the code added to the header and headinclude templates in this conditional:

PHP:
    <if condition="is_browser('ie')">
    exisiting added code goes here
    </if>

8. rex_b

rex_b Fanatic

+5
    all of these combinations seem to be working out for me, I might hit a record reg. user today!

9. biggazillakilla

biggazillakilla Adherent

+1
    No, I don't see an infobar as a guest in Firefox. :(

10. I can see it in Firefox for the first forum, but not the second that was posted. I even clicked on it and it sent me straight to the registration screen.

11. Scribbller

Scribbller The dude

+1
    Well I cant see it with firefox either besides its annoying, I will never join a forum which is begging me to register over and over again, I am a perfectly able person who can see clearly and if the content of a site interests me I know where to find the register button.

12. Bryan

Bryan Lost in Ohio...

+3
    I think that depends on the topic of the site and where your members are coming from. As forum admins, we know how forums work and will register if needed...

I will be advertising my craft site locally and may get members that haven't been on forums before, so registration reminders can't hurt. It's not like it's a java pop up advertisement that is blocking the screen... I don't see any harm in it. :)

13. rex_b

rex_b Fanatic

+5
    You may know where the reg. button is, but I am dealing with people who don't necessarily know computers that well. And this makes it very easy for them.

Annoying to us computer savvy people yes but don't be biased for those non savvy people.

14. nkisberg2000

nkisberg2000 Enthusiast

+0
    One thing I did like was the quick reg hack, is it possible for you to release that? Also that button towards the top left of your page GUESTS REGISTER NOW, could you release that and the appropriate template code?

15. rex_b

rex_b Fanatic

+5
    The quick register is located here on TAZ:
    http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5160

and I'm not sure about that other thing you are referring to.

16. Scribbller

Scribbller The dude

+1
    I think he is reffering to Logician's dynamic announcement hack.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted