Poor FTP speed when trying to upload xenforo

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by cornnfedd, Jul 20, 2019.

1. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,270
    I think (could be wrong because I haven't used it for a few years) by default FileZilla will just keep on opening up new connections until the host screams no more. I do recall one of my hosts giving me slap when FileZilla opened up either 2,000 or 20,000 simultaneous connections :)

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+129
    Are you trying to DoS that server? lol

3. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,177
    I admittedly don't understand the tech side of it.

In all these years across multiple hosts, it's never taken more than maybe a few minutes.
    Maybe?

I admittedly don't know the tech side, but I have always been on cheap shared plans, so if FileZilla is doing that, none of the companies I've been with have cared. I highly doubt they're giving us shared folks any leniency.

Not to mention all of them recommend FileZilla?

I dunno. All I know is I can upload a full, uncompressed XF or IPS suite in a few minutes with no issue.

4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,270
    I blame FileZilla's developer...

https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=45954&start=15

:D

5. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+247
    hahaha yeah.... good old filezilla.. :) :)

6. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+67
    I had been using Filezilla for so many years and never knew I could just upload the zip/rar file to the server and unpackage it there...

I've always unpackaged it on my computer then uploaded every file/folder one by one... With that said though the slowest I ever recall it going was maybe 30 minutes for everything and that was with an upload speed of .5 from my isp.

7. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,177
    Same here.

Really no difference, since you just drag the folder that extracted rather than a .zip file.

8. terrymason

terrymason Enthusiast

+19
    I don't even turn on FTP any more. I just use SFTP (file transfers over SSH). It works well for me and gives me one less service to worry about.

Filezilla is my client of choice as well. Just enter the port of 22 in the quick connect bar.

9. CyberJoe

CyberJoe Participant

+31
    We deal with this almost daily. FTP is a very slow way of doing this, if you look at the FTP protocol and how each upload run you will see how it opens connections for each file before transferring it.

Zip, upload, unzip is by far your best tool here. A site that will take you several hours can be done in minutes with a fast connection using the ftp method

(For those who already use ssh etc, have a look at the Bitvise client, very cool SSH client with built in SFTP.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.