Political Crossfire Forums - February 1, 2006

Discussion in 'Featured Communities' started by jpapadpapa, Feb 1, 2006.

1. jpapadpapa

jpapadpapa erin

+0
    While politics and anything remotely related to politics are topics generally avoided by shrewd community members, there are, of course, some brave forum administrators that set out with that very purpose: to create a forum for discussing politics. Bill Fletcher is one such administrator. And Political Crossfire Forums, a site where users can go to discuss and debate issues related to politics, as well as society and culture, is his conception. Launched on December 28, 2003, Political Crossfire Forums has since grown to a comfortable size of nearly 8,000 registered members, comprised of both young and old, male and female, from all around the world.

Among the most popular destinations on the site are the Politics & Government forum, where, according to Fletcher, most of the “heated discussions” take place (such as, "Domestic Spying Issue" and "Rich richer poor poorer says new study"); the Political Parties forum, where members can discuss issues pertaining to their own party; and The Lounge, where members come for a break from all the lively debates.

Political Crossfire Forums runs on phpBB and includes many of the features one might expect, such as sub-forums, country flags, buddy list, report post, a chat room, as well as 13 different styles from which users may choose. The site also features a portal, which provides headline news stories, as well as polls and links to other news sources and interesting related websites. However, one of the more unique features of this site is “The Great Debate”. This feature gives members an opportunity to select a debater from their own party to defend their positions in one on one debates, with a group of judges selecting the winner.

The staff at Political Crossfire Forums is comprised of four Admin, ten Moderators, and seven Group Party Leaders. According to Fletcher, “we are…staffed with a friendly crew who do a great job in maintaining this site to keep all happy.” As for income, the site generates revenue simply from advertising and direct donations from its appreciative members.

Bill Fletcher resides with his family in Massachusetts and describes himself as “very humble” and as being fortunate to have a “great family.” He says, “I'm easy going, optimistic and interested in peoples thoughts.”

Politics. Yes, most would agree that this is not an issue for the weak administrator to tackle. But, Bill Fletcher is obviously one of those brave few who has successfully administrated a site that for the most part keeps the political talk respectful--though sometimes lively--and productive. According to Fletcher, “Political Crossfire provides a platform for people of all kinds and from countries around the globe to voice their issues or concerns,” and certainly, the site is accomplishing this goal on a daily basis. The Admin Zone recognizes and praises Political Crossfire Forums for a site worthy to be this month’s Featured Forum.

2. rex_b

rex_b Fanatic

+5
    Congrats and great work. Have followed the site for some time now since it's beginning!

I love a good debate.

3. Kathy

Kathy Tazmanian Veteran

+49
    I've been known to lurk and follow debates and certain discussions for a while now too. My son and his co-workers love this site. Good job, Bill! Congrats!

4. Heynow

Heynow Neophyte

+0
    Thank you all,

This is truly and honor to be selected for the Admin Zones featured forum.

A big thanks and congrats goes to the staff and the members of Political Crossfire.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  5. ownageworld

ownageworld Aspirant

+0
    Congrats! site looks good!

6. Mr Geek

Mr Geek Aspirant

+0
    i really like your site
    very easy to use

7. MontyFromSingleMinds

MontyFromSingleMinds Enthusiast

+4
    I took a look at your site, and I must say I'm impressed with your set up.

As someone who's forum has a strong political sub-forum, I know how tough it can be to keep people's passion under control. Of all the topics to discuss on a forum, I think politics may in fact be the hardest to moderate....and it can easily spiral out of control.

Especially in this recent election cycle. :shifty:

I moderated during the 2004 election cycle, and set up my own site during the run up to the 2008 election.

I still have the scars from both experiences. :whew:

Again, nicely done. :worship:

8. jenfletcher14

jenfletcher14 Neophyte

+0
    That's muh dad :shades:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.