Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  2. sakuchan

sakuchan Adherent

+2
    This mean sound silly..but whats the difference? O-o

3. Shelley

Shelley Coder/Designer

+767
    It's not a silly. Many graphic designers don't know how to use this feature when it comes to gif graphics which results in that white edging around graphics that you see on black and other dark backgrounds. Alot of people will barge in at this point and suggest just using .png but then I say .png doesn't support animation which most of my smiley creations consist of.

The Matte is the color against which the edges of the transparent GIF will blend. For example, A matte white will blend seamlessly against a background of white and a matte black will blend in seamlessly with a black background.

You can see the differences in quality in this article I wrote and how to use the matte feature in photoshop.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  4. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    Essentially, if you want the smileys to seamlessly blend in with dark colors, use the black matte. Light post box colors require the white matte.

5. alethe

alethe Neophyte

+0
    thanks bro.... nice smiley icons. i love it.!!

6. paddyJ

paddyJ Aspirant

+0
    Thanks for sharing these emoticons, I just found them via search and wish I had stumbled upon them earlier, they're hilarious! kudos for including both mattes, very professional.

7. Alundra

Alundra SMF Friend

+150
    Hey there :D.

I'm not an expert on this but I wanted to butt in.

I've never used matte for my smileys. It's probably because I don't anti-alias but in some cases wouldnt a middle ground colour be okay? I made a set once using anti alias and a medium grey, and it looked really good on either. I guess it depends?

I tend to do pixel smileys which don't really need matte.....like this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] awww.jades_world.com_content_img_smilies_bigsmile.gif awww.jades_world.com_content_img_smilies_hahanot.gif

Have you tried pixel smileys? Also what do you animate in? I always animate in ImageReady. I have photoshop CS2 cause it's still integrated and I don't have to pay extra.....otherwise I'd have CS4.

8. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Boo~

+147
    To be safe, people use white and black matte since uhh, you can't really make smiley packs for all the millions and billions of hex color combinations. It also depends on the people make them and for what purpose they make them, if it was for my personal site I would use a color that would suite me and not go to the white or black dilemma, but when you're releasing it publicly you should provide a black and white matte pack.

Pixel icons in the other hand, don't need matte, so there is no sweat there.

9. Shelley

Shelley Coder/Designer

+767
    I prefer an anti-alias edged graphic. Pixel smilies look too rough around the edging for my liking which is why I'll always use the matting method when animations are involved. I do use .png far more nowadays but for animated objects I like a smooth edge around my creations. I use cs2 also for my animations through imageready. I've refused to upgrade to the later versions because they took out some features imageready had in cs2. Some made it into cs3 & cs4 some didn't. The ones that didn't are the ones I still use today.

10. Alundra

Alundra SMF Friend

+150
    Yeah that's pretty much the reason I stuck with CS2 as well!! It took me a while to get comfortable with it, so upgrading and then re-adjusting wasnt too appealing anyway.

I have a graphics tablet but I've never used it to make smileys. Do you have one? If so have you used it on smileys?

11. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    I've found that white and black matte work in a variety of colors. White matte has more range, of course.

12. sumampouw

sumampouw Aspirant

+0
    Thank you. will use this :)

13. Shelley

Shelley Coder/Designer

+767
    You welcome :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.