Pinterest

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by Lisa, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,541
    Has anyone here used Pinterest at all. The blurb says:-

I don't imagine it'll attract people who aren't interested in sharing photos or images of any sort, but it does look quite nice.

2. Adam H

Adam H ** Retired **

+2,690
    Yeah everyone is going mental over it at the moment , even people whom i never thought would be interested in it. Can be a hell of a marketing tools especially for infographics etc and already has a huge following .

I havent ventured over to it yet though, got enough going on at the moment to have another distraction lol

3. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,541
    I like it, but I can't see me going mental over it any time soon :D

4. trombone13

trombone13 Participant

+25
    I've been thinking about checking it out to see if there'd be any good in investing time in it for site advertising, since I've heard good things about people's traffic from it, but I'm not sure how "compatible" it is with music, as opposed to highly pinnable/shareable objects like cakes and dresses and whatever the heck else all of you keep pinning. lol :p

5. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Fan

+131
    blah...my girlfriend is on that site all the time. She gets a lot of recipe ideas and stuff from it. She was into it before it went "mainstream". Personally...it's not for me.

6. Shelley

Shelley Coder/Designer

+811
    First time I've heard about it. Looks interesting and I've requested an invite.

7. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,175
    It'd be harder for a music site to take advantage of it because the focus of Pinterest is to 'pin' images & videos of things you like; stuff like the soundcloud embedding you do can't be pinned at the moment and trying to promote a forum thread wouldn't be easy to do either because you'd have to use a generic image then unless you have an image or video available that you could use for the pinning & then associate it to the forum thread.

For those running XF, here's a thread of interest: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/pinterest-pin-it-button.25921

8. trombone13

trombone13 Participant

+25
    Humorously enough, I just joined it: http://pinterest.com/voiceradio/ Right now, I'm planning to use it for images of albums/singles, video stills, performance shots, and lyric photos (though I realize now that I should have uploaded them using my site's link to get the backlink instead of uploading from my computer...oops). I don't know how well the descriptions are seen, but I put links in those with a short explanation beforehand; we'll see if it helps any with traffic.

9. Shelley

Shelley Coder/Designer

+811
    I've just received my invite. I'll check this out and see what's on offer in a couple days.

10. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,175
    I've been playing around with adding a Pinterest button to XF. Getting closer. :whistle:

The big problem I have at the moment is this scenario...

Create a new thread in XF and attach an image. Select the option to display full size. Your visitor views the thread, likes the image, and tries to pin it. The Pinterest pop-up recognizes the image so they select it, enter a description, and hit the submit button.​

The results as of today? The Pinterest pop-up displays no message, clears out the selected image & description, and stays popped-up. If they then view their Pinterest account the image was in fact not pinned to their board.​

The problem is because, at least on my sites, I have attachment downloading turned off for guests. When the Pinterest service attempts to retrieve the image they are doing so as a guest which means it is unable to retrieve the full size image. When it can't retrieve the full size image the thumbnail that they can retrieve is too small so it errors out instead. This can be confirmed by manually going to the Pinterest site and trying to add a pin by using the URL to the forum thread.

Now the really interesting part is that the behavior is different on my vB site but that is a different matter that I'm still trying to figure out. EDIT: Correction, my vB site has the same results after I fixed the guest permissions. D'oh!

11. Hector Nunez

Hector Nunez Neophyte

+0
    You can buy things there too

12. V0RT3X

V0RT3X Aspirant

+6
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.