Other Pingdom no longer free

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by Deathstarr, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Deathstarr

Deathstarr Forum Owner

+134
    If you compare to other services that are free, you do not get much of anything.

2. Hostname.club

Hostname.club Aspirant

+4
    Uptimerobot is great choice if you don't care '1-minute' checking interval. I suggest change to them, at least because I stayed with them already 3 years with very best monitrong tool.

3. Robust

Robust Developer

+665
    Need an invitation code, sadly.

Edit: For all those interested, use code: WHT

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  4. Optic

Optic Enthusiast

+116
    Solarwinds has acquired Pingdom and are completely discontinuing the free plan:
    https://www.pingdom.com/pricing/

5. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,077
    A shame, but it makes sense as an upsell strategy.

Are such services even worth the trouble anymore for hobbyists, even at the free tier? Especially now that high availability cloud hosting is becoming the norm.

6. Lala

Lala Participant

+35
    I was using pingdom, though our site generates no profit. I just like to be notified if we're down. Happens a few times a year for a few minutes, without pingdom I wouldn't know it happened. Getting email alerts helps me see if we're happy with our host or need to think of other options.

This might be because of our niche though, mental health site, I get regular emails from members saying "it doesn't work!!!" with no further details and no response to my follow-up. It could be that the site is down, or it could be that they can't figure out how to edit their signature. Pingdom gave a more or less reliable measure of our downtime.

7. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,077
    But does getting downtime this short reported actually matter? Unless physical servers and web services have to be restarted or managed, service would normally be restored quickly with no need for webmaster intervention.

8. Lala

Lala Participant

+35
    Yes, most of the time it doesn't matter, service is restored quickly, random hiccup, nothing to worry about. But still good to be aware, so that when/if those hiccups start happening more often or last longer - I have actual data rather than just a feeling that the service seems to be worse than usual.

Last year mods noticed three hiccups, less than a minute each, on the span of two weeks. At the same time, pingdom noticed thirteen hiccups, totaling 20 minutes, which imho is unacceptable at the price we pay our host. I contacted the host, they responded with a standard brush-off: all looks good, the site is up, screenshot attached. I replied back with a screenshot of pingdom report - and that's when they actually started looking into the issue, and fixed it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.