PhpBB vs MyBB?

xXTHeEddYXx

Enthusiast
Phpbb and Mybb both have their problems. First mybb crashed on me once and there was no support for me. Phpbb did the same thing except I got "support" which didn't work. If you want to avoid both, use Vbulletin, IP board, or xenforo. They are not free but i know forums that NEVER have problems. It almost
looked liked this was an argument, and if this were on my forums, I might of locked this topic, but idk.

Umm... Look at Vbulletin, IP board, and Xenforo.
Mybb has given me major issues. Phpbb gave me the same. I use a freeforums because the computer that could run web servers was given away. This one can't (Dell, I hate you)

LOL! vBulletin more stable than MyBB hahah. Wow, that's a good one.:unhunh:

TheJellyDonut

Neophyte
xXTHeEddYXx said:
LOL! vBulletin more stable than MyBB hahah. Wow, that's a good one.
Thats not really a joke. I have seen forums that work great and they use vbulletin. PHPBB is better now for me, seeing that if there is a problem, its freeforum's problem HAHAHAHAH (evil laugh).
soccerdude7330(not on this board) said:
myBB crashed, that forum software was complete BS, I mean they did not even offer support for their software and even said to NEVER email them asking for support because they won't help you with any issue on the software.

Lesson learned: NEVER use the myBB forum software
See that.

And on another note, mybb doesn't have built in styles.

Thats not really a joke. I have seen forums that work great and they use vbulletin. PHPBB is better now for me, seeing that if there is a problem, its freeforum's problem HAHAHAHAH (evil laugh).

See that.

I personally think you should use PHPBB3.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheJellyDonut

Neophyte
Do you have a link to your support topic? I am curious what you mean by "crashed" since PHP is an interpreted language and no "crashing" should be possible.

There is one person who does have proof. Read further.

Marshalrusty said:
The suggestion that the paid solutions are more stable than the opensource ones is entirely unfounded. You even seem to specify that yours is an entirely subjective assessment, based on virtually nothing at all.

I personally prefer for an open source as phpBB3 or SMF 1.0 or 2.0 I don't like PHPBB2 or MYBB

Now you're blaming a PC manufacturer because you don't know how to set up a web server on your system.

No, just no. My PC can't support a web server. Don't just say I don't know how.

TrixieTang

Custom Usertitle
Phpbb and Mybb both have their problems. First mybb crashed on me once and there was no support for me. Phpbb did the same thing except I got "support" which didn't work. If you want to avoid both, use Vbulletin, IP board, or xenforo. They are not free but i know forums that NEVER have problems.

Well, you say that you're using free forum hosting. Do you even have any experience using vB, IPB or XF as an admin? Or are you just believing that paid automatically means better?

Mybb has given me major issues. Phpbb gave me the same. I use a freeforums because the computer that could run web servers was given away. This one can't (Dell, I hate you)

Well, it's really no wonder that you had issues if you were trying to host your forum off of your own computer. Why didn't you just get shared hosting? It's not that expensive you know.

And on another note, mybb doesn't have built in styles.

Umm, what? MyBB has a style/theme/skinning system. Or if you're saying that it just comes with one style out of the box then sorry to tell you this, but so does a lot of other forum software, it's not unusual.

rusty105

Habitué
Well, it's really no wonder that you had issues if you were trying to host your forum off of your own computer. Why didn't you just get shared hosting? It's not that expensive you know.

Just a quick point, you CAN host from home. Many here have done it, myself included. This was when hosting was expensive. Now it is much cheaper. BUT I still run developement forums off my home server. If you set it up correctly, there is no difference.

TrixieTang

Custom Usertitle
Just a quick point, you CAN host from home. Many here have done it, myself included. This was when hosting was expensive. Now it is much cheaper. BUT I still run developement forums off my home server. If you set it up correctly, there is no difference.

Never said that you can't, but if you don't know what you're doing then there will likely be problems. And that's not the forum software's fault, the only one who can be blamed is the one who got ahead of themselves and tried to do things outside of their skill level.

No, just no. My PC can't support a web server. Don't just say I don't know how.

There have been a lot of members here who've said that they could do things when they really couldn't. It's easy to talk big, but usually it's the ones who talk big who are just trying to compensate for their lack of experience and the ones who don't who are the real professionals.

If you show that you have the skills through your behavior then most people will believe you when you say things like this, if you just say that you have the skills then people will naturally be a bit more sceptical. Actions speak louder than words after all.

You've said that MyBB has major issues and suggested that it's bad software. Back that up with some real evidence then and not stuff like this

soccerdude7330(not on this board) said:
myBB crashed, that forum software was complete BS, I mean they did not even offer support for their software and even said to NEVER email them asking for support because they won't help you with any issue on the software.

Lesson learned: NEVER use the myBB forum software

One unsatisfied person using the word "crashed" and giving absolutely no details about the issues they had doesn't really prove anything. Unsatisfied customers are always the most vocal, the satisfied ones often stay silent other than an occasional "Thank you." or "(insert forum software developer's name here), I want to have your babies!"

supanut

Neophyte
Phpbb2 and Mybb both have their problems. First mybb crashed on me once and there was no support for me. Phpbb2 did the same thing except I got "support" which didn't work. If you want to avoid both, use Vbulletin, IP board, or xenforo. They are not free but i know forums that NEVER have problems. It almost
looked liked this was an argument, and if this were on my forums, I might of locked this topic, but idk.

I never have any problems with MyBB 1.6.4. What host do you use? And does your host meat all the MyBB's minimum requirements?
BTW, I like MyBB, used it for 2 months and had no problems. The best forum software yet aside from VBulletin!

sunsettommy

Enthusiast
Phpbb2 and Mybb both have their problems. First mybb crashed on me once and there was no support for me. Phpbb2 did the same thing except I got "support" which didn't work. If you want to avoid both, use Vbulletin, IP board, or xenforo. They are not free but i know forums that NEVER have problems. It almost

:hopeless:

They "crashed" solely because of your home computer set up.

supanut

Neophyte
Well if you want to use MyBB on your home desktop then install Xampp first. It's the best Apache MySQL PHP bundle out there yet for Windows. Even WordPress runs on my PC running Windows 7 32bit.

dojo

Passionate admin
PhpBB was my first love. I used it years ago and it TAUGHT ME everything I know about modding a theme and playing with various plugins. Then 3.x came and I just hated it. MyBB started looking better and I've also made the move, after a short stint with SMF which I hated with a passion. Have used MYBB for years and I love it. I also run 2 VBs.

supanut

Neophyte
PhpBB was my first love. I used it years ago and it TAUGHT ME everything I know about modding a theme and playing with various plugins. Then 3.x came and I just hated it. MyBB started looking better and I've also made the move, after a short stint with SMF which I hated with a passion. Have used MYBB for years and I love it. I also run 2 VBs.

I agree. MyBB is really good. I've used SMF but it is too bloated and has many errors. I've also used PHPBB 3, but the permission system is a nightmare to use. Also PHPBB didn't have forum rules by default, and you need to make a special page for it and link it with the main index. SMF has built-in forum rules, and you can even customize it.
PHPBB is also a resource hog. I've seen many people on X10hosting forum reporting that their accounts get suspended due to high resource usage due to PHPBB.
The plugin system in MyBB rocks, installing plugin is just uploading the required files and activate the plugin in the ACP.

supanut

Neophyte
So is in SMF, too!

I have to agree. SMF does indeed have an autoinstaller for MODs.
But MODs for SMF are very version specific.
E.G MODs for SMF 1.1.0 will probably not work with SMF 1.1.14, and MODs for SMF 2.0 Beta 1 will also probably not work with SMF 2.0 gold.
Whereas MODs for MyBB covers more than 1 version in a single branch. So which means that MODs for MyBB 1.6.0 will most likely work with MyBB 1.6.4. BTW some MODs even works with both MyBB 1.4.x and 1.6.x.
Also on another note...I saw one people mentioned here that forum rules on phpbb.com's forum is very strict...I will have to agree. They certainly lock things down that I would appreciate. and like I said, the permissions system is a nightmare. But PHPBB 3.1 is still in development, so we'll just have to see. I hope 3.1 is better than 3.0, cause I like the UI of the software, it's modern and the fact that you can set a specific permissions on a per-user-bases.

Last edited:

supanut

Neophyte
Also MyBB's theming engine is very easy to use, I had just made a basic MOD of the default MyBB theme with some color tweaks within less than a day. The only knowledge you'll need for creating new basic themes for MyBB is CSS. Whereas with other forum software creating new theme is hell. You have to know PHP as well, not just CSS!

Marshalrusty

phpBB Project Manager
Also MyBB's theming engine is very easy to use, I had just made a basic MOD of the default MyBB theme with some color tweaks within less than a day. The only knowledge you'll need for creating new basic themes for MyBB is CSS. Whereas with other forum software creating new theme is hell. You have to know PHP as well, not just CSS!
The problems you describe are most definitely not present in phpBB. The default theme was written by a professional design firm and the entire style can be changed to look unrecognizable with edits only to css. There is no php in phpBB styles.

supanut

Neophyte
The problems you describe are most definitely not present in phpBB. The default theme was written by a professional design firm and the entire style can be changed to look unrecognizable with edits only to css. There is no php in phpBB styles.

Well, that might be cool if PHPBB's theme can also be customized using CSS, as CSS is the only programming knowledge I have.
Anyway I will see if PHPBB 3.1 will have a much more friendly permissions system. I've read somewhere on phpbb.com's forum that MOD installer and a redesign of the ACP is planned for 3.1; which will be awesome.
Right now, I'm happy with MyBB. Never caused me problems, and easy to use.

Last edited: