PHP7 Compatability

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Paul M, Jun 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+214
    Despite your sarcastic and cynical attitude, I highly appreciate and respect what you've done for VB3/4. It was wonderful work, and good luck with whatever works you will end up with in future. Too bad though, after your time with IB is done, no one will be updating VB3/4 for future PHP versions. This means, once PHP 8 comes out every VB3/4 admin will have to migrate to a different platform, or be stuck with old PHP version.

2. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,469
    I dont think PHP 8 is going to be a worry for a while yet (2019 ?).

The more immediate issue will be PHP 7.2
    However, PHP 7.0 & 7.1 will be around, and supported, for some time yet.

3. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,382
    So true, look how long 5.4 and 5.6 hung around. 5.6 still has very widespread use.

4. Belazor

Belazor DragonByte Technologies Programming Director

+116
    Hell, I still get people every now and again who's still running 5.4 or 5.5.

Especially if they have code of, shall we say, questionable quality running on their forums, they're very hesitant to upgrade.

Fillip

5. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,584
    In support I still see sites running PHP 5.3.x.

6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,382
    In addition to quality, a great deal of the installed base of 5.6 applications which are of good quality either do not work with PHP 7.x, are still in transition or have not been fully tested with it. Considering the number of companies who rely on it we'll likely see PHP 5.6 support for some time... even if that means future PHP 7+ apps are written with backward compatibility in mind.

If the past has been any indication, the end of life schedule will be extended beyond the current schedule, and 7.x has a long future.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted