PHP7 Compatability

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Paul M, Jun 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RoboCop

RoboCop Neophyte

+0
    So are you still able to offer a service for my vB 4.2.5? I don't want to leave this to the last minute in case it is too late for me and prepare for using PHP 7.2 in the future. I can still access my vB members area for vB4 zips. As for the bugs and other stuff you maybe able to fix, I'd be very grateful...But I may need to be alerted on certain key AdminCP adjustments to minimise any security flaws, Paul.

2. Banxix

Banxix Enthusiast

+55
    Please read my post in previous page. vB 4.2.5 runs fine enough with PHP 7.2 (you can ignore constant warnings), but your plugins may not.

3. RoboCop

RoboCop Neophyte

+0
    Well thats the thing...the plugins don't work by the looks of it...well some of them as far I can tell.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  4. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,149
    Yes, I was looking at the php site other day and noticed they had started on the release schedule for 7.3

Atm, I have not looked at whats changed, or obtained a copy to see what happens.

They deprecated a whole bunch of stuff in 7.2, if thats removed in 7.3 then 4.2.5/3.8.12 will not run on it.
    (even with errors reporting suppressed, as all those warnings will become fatal errors).

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,149
    A quick look over the documentation does not seem to suggest any of the previously deprecated stuff has been removed.

Also, I didnt see any changes that would have any adverse effect on vB.
    From what I read, I think 4.2.5/3.8.12 would continue to run on PHP 7.3, as long as you had all error reporting disabled.

I have not physically tested it, but I dont see any obvious (new) issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+461
    The problem will still be plugins. I didn't take it very far but I tried going to PHP7.2 for one 4.2.5 forum and it broke the forum. I didn't explore why - I just reverted to PHP 7.1 - but if I recall correctly it was giving me a blank page.

7. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,149
    Yes, plugins may well fail, but thats a whole different issue. :)

8. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+461
    Yes. Just reminding people that even if you upgrade vBulletin we'll still have to go through the fun process of figuring out which plugins have broken and why. :eek:

9. Banxix

Banxix Enthusiast

+55
    The safest way is to make a copy of your forum in your localhost, it will give you free time to explore the cause.

10. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,149
    Just an update on this, as another four months have passed.

In short, I'm not going ahead with any vB3/vB4 upgrade service.

1. I dont have the time.
    2. I simply dont have the interest or desire anymore.
    3. I dont use vB4 at all, and were I ever to update, I would then no longer be using vB3 !
    4. The fact is that it works fine on php 7.1 - and with error reporting turned off, will limp along well enough on php 7.2
    5. PHP just keep updating, I could not keep up - people are already asking about php 7.3, and I havent even finished working on php 7.2

Basically, 4.2.5 & 3.8.11 are good for another 1.5 years on supported php 7.1 versions.
    After that you can continue on PHP 7.1 of course, it will just be unsupported by PHP themselves.
    Equally, you could likely limp along on 7.2 (maybe even 7.3) with error reporting turned off for another 2+ years.

If any of these options is an issue for you then you should consider a move to something else by then, if not before.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  11. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+614
    WTH... it's not even out yet.

12. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+768
    Looking good so far on Centmin Mod LEMP stack :)

Code:
    php -v
    PHP 7.3.0beta1 (cli) (built: Aug  3 2018 04:35:10) ( NTS )
    Copyright (c) 1997-2018 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v3.3.0-dev, Copyright (c) 1998-2018 Zend Technologies
        with Zend OPcache v7.3.0beta1, Copyright (c) 1999-2018, by Zend Technologies
    Code:
    php --ri sodium

sodium

sodium support => enabled
    libsodium headers version => 1.0.16
    libsodium library version => 1.0.16
    Code:
    php -r 'print_r(get_defined_constants());' | grep -i argon
        [PASSWORD_ARGON2I] => 2
        [PASSWORD_ARGON2ID] => 3
        [PASSWORD_ARGON2_DEFAULT_MEMORY_COST] => 1024
        [PASSWORD_ARGON2_DEFAULT_TIME_COST] => 2
        [PASSWORD_ARGON2_DEFAULT_THREADS] => 2
        [SODIUM_CRYPTO_PWHASH_ALG_ARGON2I13] => 1
        [SODIUM_CRYPTO_PWHASH_ALG_ARGON2ID13] => 2
        [SODIUM_CRYPTO_PWHASH_STRPREFIX] => $argon2id$
    Paul MPaul M appreciate all you have done, otherwise vB3/4 would of died alot sooner without PHP updated support !

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.