Suggestion Petition to remove the Anonymous account

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by djbaxter, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,043
    12 vs 11 votes to ban it? After just a day or two. Sounds like Brexit figures to me, started by an over reaction by one member.

There's nothing to police apart from if the anonymous posts are directly breaking normal posting rules, if they're not abusive and they're allowing someone to voice some kind of valid opinion securely, then why not? Lord knows there's plenty of contentious posts and divided and strong opinions from different camps on here. It's one of the main reasons I bother to visit this site. The issue here seems to be the overreaction from people taking offence to others using it in the first place, rather than addressing the contents of the anonymous post itself.

That may be the case in some cases, but definitely not all. TBH I had forgotten about the anonymous feature on here until this furor because it's only visible in the full post composition page and I rarely use that. If I had, I may have made many more posts voicing my opinion about certain things anonymously. Not to be angry or attacking or divisive, but because sometimes I do have very strong opinions on things. But I often bite my tongue or hold back because I don't want to offend or hurt peoples feelings or deal with the potential blowback. Perhaps I'm a pussy, whatever, I'm certainly not making a new account to post those thoughts, but sometimes you have to be frank and just put it out there and an anonymous account can be a good way of clearing the air and just being brutally honest.

I personally would have thought that would be beneficial on a forum like this. However if the admins make the decision to remove it then fair enough.

I do wonder how much more frequently or differently the feature would have been utilised if the UI to use it was more prominent, and it was available via the quick reply box too, so more users realised it was an option. Would we have seen more useful anonymous posts? Or more troublesome ones?

2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,067

3. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,948
    Personally, I've never seen this feature abused on TAZ but then again, I've been away for a while so maybe I missed something.

4. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,242
    Since the decision has now been made, this topic has become redundant. Time to close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.