Pet Hates on Forums

CarpCharacin

Habitué
People generally do it in case other people post while they're writing their response.
I know, but some people just use the reply button on posts for every post they make, sometimes quoting random posts in the process. That really bugs me.
I tend to do that on active forums because I know there's a good chance someone with faster fingers will get a post in before me.
Good point.

CarpCharacin

Habitué
It also bugs me when people copy and paste the same post across multiple forums, not sure why.

Sal Collaziano

Womanizer
The wall of text bothers me the most because I know nobody is going to read it. If it's an important message, I'll actually go through and add paragraphs...

cheat_master30

Fanatic
Spammers writing fluff posts to get their signatures seen more. You know the kind, the ones you see all over the place on sites like Digitalpoint. Or any other webmaster forum on the planet for that matter.

No, people won't visit your website. Especially if all you do is post 'I agree' or other useless content in every thread you come across.

Other things I dislike on forums are:

People using a hundred fonts or text colours in a post. Yes, I know you can do that with most forum scripts. But no one thinks that seeing rainbow coloured text in Comic Sans is a good look.

Nor is quoting a giant wall of text and just saying a single line in response to it. It's an annoying waste of space that just makes the topic one hundred times more difficult to read.

Finally, any forum with too many/too few sections rather annoys me as well. The former becomes overwhelming and makes any inactive forum look like a complete ghost town, whereas the latter makes it incredibly hard to actually find anything in the huge jumble of topics and posts there. One section forums only work well when you have less than 10,000 posts or so.

Citizen K

Aspirant
Brand names, some guys cannot get the brand name of what they are using/selling correct, despite using the product for years and posting a damn photo of the thing with the brand emblazoned somewhere. It gets ludicrous we can have An****z, Anshults, Onshush, Alshoots etc when Anschutz is the correct spelling. Search would be a lottery if I were not fastidious about editing the correct spelling.

cheat_master30

Fanatic
The mention of search being a lottery reminds me of another pet hate on forums.

Namely, search absolutely SUCKS on most forums and CMS systems. I mean, I don't quite expect Google quality, but it seems a complete toss up whether the XenForo search will actually find what you're looking for. Sure it's better than WordPress' one (which doesn't even sort search items by relevance instead of date), but it's still miles below what you'd expect from a system like this.

Citizen K

Aspirant
I am pretty happy with the ever evolving capabilities of Threadloom. Certainly it is an improvement over standard VB full text searching.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
:ROFLMAO: But... but... Comic Sans! :LOL:

Dont talk about wrong fonts, at my company there the best. Have no idea what the font is called but when making flyers you can park a car between the words because its not a true type font but a webtype font.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Posts that start "this will probably get deleted by a mod...." Well, if that's the case then you already know there's bound to be an issue, so how about not posting it? Or phrasing it so you won't alienate 90% of the members who will then report you and it will get deleted? Or... here's an out-there idea - run it past a mod before posting it and save everyone the hassle :D

TrixieTang

Custom Usertitle

WELL don ot I hav egg on my face. Should have caught wot you we're doing their.

A wall of text is something that is frowned upon in most, actually virtually all Internet societies, including forums, chat boards, and Uncyclopedia. You should not make walls of text because it can get you banned anywhere unless it is a place that encourages walls of text. I highly doubt any place does support something so irritating and annoying, but anything can exist, but not really because unless you are in heaven then that can happen. But no one actually knows that was just a hypothesis, a lame one that is. Actually not really lame. You can create a wall of text supporting site, but you would be hated if you do that, so do not. But you can if you like, but I discourage that. Now on to the actual information of walls of texts. The wall of text was invented when the Internet was invented, but actually it was slow at that time. So whenever it became fast. But there would need to be some free or not free community for people, and that community would be able to have walls of text. But that community probably wouldn't have actually invented the wall of text. So basically, no one except God and Al Gore knows when or where or how the wall of text existed/was invented. Noobs probably invented, but probably not. Who knows. Walls of texts are usually filled with a lot of useless information and junk. Information and junk can be the same, but only if the information is junk or the junk is information. But who cares. The information/junk inside a wall of text are usually related to wherever the wall of text is located, but the best walls of text, which are actually the most irritating, most eye-bleeding ones, are completely random. Walls of text usually make the reader asplode or have their eyes bleed and fall out of their sockets. A number of people can stand it, but not read them. Actually some people can stand and read them. Those people do not have short attention spans. These are boring and patient people who have no life or have all the time in their hands, which are the same, but not really. The punishment of what making walls of text varies of the strictness of the community. But it doesn't really matter. Nobody cares. Walls of texts should be free of links, different font colors, strange characters, which are those other symbols used in society, and capital letters because it ruins the whole purpose of the infamy of walls of texts. It makes them look ****ing dumb and weird. Walls of texts are obviously free of huge spaces and outstanding things like capital letters. Of course, paragraphs should never be in a wall of text. Walls of text are known to create nausea, confusion, head explosion, and others. The others being something I can not think of either because I am lazy or if I do not feel like it or I can not actually think of anything. Like what the ****? That was a rhetorical question right there. What the ****? You are actually not requesting a satisfactory answer, you just say that because you try to be funny or you feel like it or if you are pissed off. You must get a proper bitch-slapping to stop making walls of text, but if you are weird then that doesn't apply to you. Walls of text are defeated by deleting them or splitting them into paragraphs. Or some other things that would work but will take hours to think of. People are considered a nuisance if they create walls of text. This might be the end. If you hope this is the end, I am not sure. But if I was not sure then I wouldn't be talking. I should know. Or should I? The best way to make a better and good wall of text is to copy and paste what you previously typed or write. Hey, that reminds me. Walls of text aren't always on the internet! They could be anywhere that is able to produce symbols. D'oh. A wall of text is something that is frowned upon in most, actually virtually all Internet societies, including forums, chat boards, and Uncyclopedia. You should not make walls of text because it can get you banned anywhere unless it is a place that encourages walls of text. I highly doubt any place does support something so irritating and annoying, but anything can exist, but not really because unless you are in heaven then that can happen. But no one actually knows that was just a hypothesis, a lame one that is. Actually not really lame. You can created a wall of text supporting site, but you would be hated if you do that, so do not. But you can if you like, but I discourage that. Now on to the actual information of walls of texts. The wall of text was invented when the Internet was invented, but actually it was slow at that time. So whenever it became fast. But there would need to be some free or not free community for people, and that community would be able to have walls of text. But that community probably wouldn't have actually invented the wall of text. So basically, no one except God and Al Gore knows when or where or how the wall of text existed/was invented. Noobs probably invented, but probably not. Who knows. Walls of texts are usually filled with a lot of useless information and junk. Information and junk can be the same, but only if the information is junk or the junk is information. But who cares. The information/junk inside a wall of text are usually related to wherever the wall of text is located, but the best walls of text, which are actually the most irritating, most eye-bleeding ones, are completely random. Walls of text usually make the reader asplode or have their eyes bleed and fall out of their sockets. A number of people can stand it, but not read them. Actually some people can stand and read them. Those people do not have short attention spans. These are boring and patient people who have no life or have all the time in their hands, which are the same, but not really. The punishment of what making walls of text varies of the strictness of the community. But it doesn't really matter. Nobody cares. Walls of texts should be free of links, different font colors, strange characters, which are those other symbols used in society, and capital letters because it ruins the whole purpose of the infamy of walls of texts. It makes them look ****ing dumb and weird and dumb. Walls of texts are obviously free of huge spaces and outstanding things like capital letters. Of course, paragraphs should never be in a wall of text. Walls of text are known to create nausea, confusion, head explosion, and others. The others being something I can not think of either because I am lazy or if I do not feel like it or I can not actually think of anything. Like what the ****? That was a rhetorical question right there. What the ****? You are actually not requesting a satisfactory answer, you just say that because you try to be funny or you feel like it or if you are pissed off. Now I just copied and pasted part of this huge wall of text, which is actually not. Wait what? Nice right? Ba boom a rhetorical question right there. Is this the end for the sanity of your eyes? What the **** did you actually read up to here? Or did you skip to near the end and read this? Either way, you fail in life. Just kidding. Or was I? Oh well. Congratulations, or not, actually not. Get a life right now. I found a cheap life on eBay, but cheap lives are rare. Well, good luck in finding one. Not! Okay go kill yourself, but I wasn't meaning that. So go sit in the corner in your house. I do not care which, just stay there and rot. If you are not in a place with a corner, then lucky you. Find one if you can. There is no other option because I said so. Now if you pity yourself for reading this like most do, then do something productive and useful to the environment. My goodness. OK this is me here. I am starting a new section of this article. I didn't read anything in this article above here, but nevermind, because I have something important to say, and you really have to read this. So just skip everything above and just come to this part and start reading and agreeing. The wall of text was invented by engineers using typewriters. Everything was in typewriter font (because it was made on typewriters - remember when I explained that in the previous sentence?) and the point was to use all of the paper, because paper was very expensive back then, it had just been invented I think. So anyway, the point was, no margins at the top or bottom or sides. If you left a quarter inch on the sides of the paper, that was very bad. And the guiding principle was "This was hard to write, so it should be hard to read". Because they were software engineers, not writing engineers. Is there even such a thing a writing engineers? Probably. But anyway, please go back to the top of this article and read it over again. You'll get the point after you read it for approx. 10 to 15 times. OK have you done that now? Good. Now let's be honest - you're not reading down this far. Are you? Nobody would read down this far, unless they were a crazy person. Are you a crazy person? You might be. Now I'm afraid - it's just me alone with a crazy person. No one else has read down this far, just you, so it's just the two of us alone together here. Are you going to do something crazy? Maybe you will. Please don't hurt me. If you promise not to hurt me, I'll give a coupon good for a free Grand Slam Breakfast at Denny's. OK? Now just do this one thing for me, read the article over again, just one more time, and if you really truly don't agree with everything in it, then fine, I'll retire from my job with the railroad and we'll call the whole thing off and just go dancing, just the two of use, me (the writer) and you (a completely random crazy person who has actually read down this far), and boy won't we turn heads when we show up at Rockefeller Center with the entire Donner Party in tow! We'll dance all night to strains of the Lemon Pipers while the Italian 12th Armored Division prevents the Allies from thrusting into our rear! Ah, what memories we'll make, I'll never forget you, my completely insane random person. By the way this is magnificent example of wall of text. You have to be proud you read it all. Now please read article again, and this time pay attention.Wait a minute. didnt it say earlier that there shouldn't be any capitals.

W
H
A
T

A
B
O
U
T

T
H
I
S
?

You are all horrible posters and you should feel horrible.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
I get irked when I'm helping a math student (this could apply to any kind of judicious help), and I am engaging the student to do the heavy lifting and nudging them to use the grey matter between their ears so they might actually learn something, and someone else comes along and posts the complete solution. I have custom code in place to discourage that, but some ignore it and proceed to trample all over my help anyway. :(

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
On my flooring forum, much of the best advice is supported by the product manufacturer's installation instructions and other available information about the product. Most people understand that not all cars are the same, not all watches are the same, not all toasters are the same... so why do they leave out the most important part of the issues they are trying to solve with their product?

This second pet peeve of mine I made sure active members of forums I work on know this practice is unacceptable: telling someone who posts a topic seeking advice to use the search feature (Google, forum search, whatever). A long time ago I had several good examples of the issue I had with it. I showed search results that had well thought out questions and descriptions of problems, which gets the attention of search engines, but the support offered to solve or answer the issues was to search for it. I prefer members don't post a reply at all, if they can't offer something better than that.

Another thing that bugs the **** outa me is having professionals with decades of experience writing estimates, proposals, inspection reports and many other documents their job requires, yet they post like a third grader. Makes me wonder if they are as professional and as successful as they want us all to believe.

But I have to say, the thing that bothers me the very most is when a member posts something derogatory about race or country of origin. I edit the post to remove the slur and they get all up in arms, claiming it wasn't racist or hateful, even though it was obvious to most that it was exactly that. Then the excuses that some of their best friends are * or their wife or girlfriend is * so they couldn't possibly be racist. In fact, those are the worst kind of racists. And now some of the excuses include justification because politicians or political issues have made it okay. :(

zappaDPJ

This second pet peeve of mine I made sure active members of forums I work on know this practice is unacceptable: telling someone who posts a topic seeking advice to use the search feature (Google, forum search, whatever).

I think we've all see that and so often it's the member's first post. What a terrible way to welcome a new member.