Domain Name(s) Personal Political Blog Domain options...

Discussion in 'Domains and SSL Certificates' started by PoetJC, Sep 25, 2015.

1. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    So - I've been blogging lately. Short, hard-hitting opinion pieces on American politics of the day.

I've got a great idea for a personal blog domain. With the onset of so many TLD options, though, the choice is a bit more difficult than I thought it would be. So help please!!!

The domain name is quite nice and unique I think. So much - I'm surprised that only the .com and .org are taken. Of course - you'd hope that since someone has bought them - that you'd see site(s) with tons of nice content. But NO!!!!! Both the .com and .org are parked and collecting nothing but dust.

Anyway - My options are as follows
    • NoneOfYourBusiness.online $7.88 to buy $29.88/year
    • NoneOfYourBusiness.news $12.88 to buy $19.88/year
    • NoneOfYourBusiness.press $8.88/year
    • NoneOfYourBusiness.net $12.88/year
    Which would have more appeal to you as a reader of political blog commentary?
    Would the .online, .news and/or .press TLDs hold any special significance in your minds?

J.

2. Liam

Liam Developer

+107
    The .net would be my choice if I were to choose. These new gTLDs are long. If I were to type your URL I'd prefer to have a three-character extension. But of course, that's just me.

3. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,321
    .net would be easier for me to remember and it looks better

4. bucket

bucket badge consultant

+189
    those others have no special significance to me.

go with .NET

5. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,182
    IMO classic TLDs wouldnt click, except ORG. If you'd rely on organic traffic, funky new TLDs may give your url the memorabilia you may seek (.IO for example).

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  6. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806
    NoneOfYour.Business
    NoneOfYour.Biz/ness/

:p

7. PoetJC

+5,327
    Ha! I'm fishing for answers with this thread. And the bold/underlined portion above is the winner LOL
    It's the opinion I was looking for actually. It's where my thought process goes as I considered the bulk of new TLDs.
    The question is - are the funky TLDs gonna actually take off? And if they don't - will it bode negatively for my project? Should I even be concerned about the polularity of the new TLDs? Should their success or failure even be a concern?

LMAO!!! Unfortunately - NoneOfYourBusiness is just a placeholder for the actual domain. I didn't want to post the domain here, only to have it snagged up by someone else LOL. That's certainly a clever use of a TLD though! :tup:

J.

8. PoetJC

+5,327
    A New Proposition:

So... The domain that I originally wanted is [example] RunningMan.com --- It's taken, RunningMan.net being the 'normal' TLD available.
    I was designing logo options last night actually ... And the design reads "TRunningMan" - Which stands for TruthfulRunningMan. I love the design and don't want to make many changes to it.

Now I find that A. TruthfulRunningMan.com is available, as well as B. TRunningMan.com --- So here are my new options:
    1. RunningMan.net
    2. TRunningMan.com
    3. TruthfulRunningMan.com

Which of the 3 options do you choose and why?
    OR would you go with one of the below options? If yes - which one and why?
    1. RunningMan.online
    2. RunningMan.press
    3. RunningMan.news

I've never really struggled so much with a domain purchase. If I had the extra cash - I'd probably buy the lot of them and point each to the same content. But I don't have the extra cash... Anyway. Will appreciate ya'll help deciding which option to take :)

J.

9. Liam

Liam Developer

+107
    I'd choose RunningMan.net -- it's short, and remember what that Napster dude said to Zuckerburg. "Drop the the", or in your case, the "truthful". Again, all my personal opinion.

10. PoetJC

+5,327
    Ah yes. Social Network = Great film. And thanks for the word of advice!
    Yeah. I don't believe The Facebook would have taken off as simply Facebook has. I suppose the concept is K.I.S.S. :tup:
    Question. Would it be adviseable to edit the logo to reflect the actual domain name? Is that something you'd do? OR would you allow the logo to represent the entire site name? I mean - the "Truthful - T" is the entire purpose of the site. Would it's prominence make any difference in your opinion above?

J.

11. Liam

Liam Developer

+107
    Well, if it's really a part of the name of the site then I guess the logo could remain the same. Or get RunningMan.net and TruthfulRunningMan.com and redirect the .net to the .com if you'd like to go for consistency.

Personally I would prefer a shorter name, and perhaps the "Truthful" segment be included in the logo as a slogan or something, hell IDK I'm stupid at naming things :p

12. PoetJC

+5,327
    Me too!! Obviously LOL.

Don't laugh at the design - it's still a work in progress. The colors are likely to change - but the concept is probably going to remain the same.
    I've edited the name to reflect the RunningMan example:

logo2b.png

I know it's a bit busy - but it's a work-in-progress.
    As you can tell though - the "T" is rather prominent. I want it to reflect that the blogger's (muah!) ideas are the truth. The tagline will likely be revised a bit too - to reflect a "mic drop" of some sort. IDK... Still planning....

But the T is prominent part of the design and concept. It will stay prominent. Thus the question: TRunningMan.com, RunningMan.net, etc...

J.

13. Liam

Liam Developer

+107
    The logo looks good IMO. Not too overbearing, with the right saturation of the colors that isn't too hard on the eyes. :tup:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  14. PoetJC

+5,327
    Thank you! It looks better sized smaller actually, with a bit of texture added.
    Considering the design though - you still think RunningMan.net would be the best option?

J.

15. Liam

Liam Developer

+107
    Now that I think about it, something that includes the "Truthful" part would be better IMO. Although not sure between the "T" and the whole "Truthful" word.

16. PoetJC

+5,327
    Okay. So the REAL, actual domain name I've been considering is RunnethOver.net vs. TRunnethOver.com --- I've just purchased the latter.

2015-09-29_23-19-47.png

Use promo code FALLDAYZ for a discount on domain registrations & transfers.
    See https://www.namecheap.com/promos/coupons.aspx for more info...

The site is a personal blog where yours truly -- a very loud mouthpiece of sorts thus the microphone logo design LOL -- spouts off on political topics of the day that are mainly relevant to the Black & LGBT communities. There will be other topics as well - but the main focus will be on those groups, as well as others I think are more often than not - being given the short end of the stick - even when more is deserved, merited and earned.

The name comes from the Psalms 23:4-6 passage - specifically verse 5:

So - what's the "T" -- It stands for "Truth"
    UrbanDictionary.com defines it as:

the T

'The T' is another term for 'the Truth.' The term was popularized in gay culture. 'The T' was brought mainstream by RuPaul's Drag Race, TV, series, as the Drag Queens, and Drag Racers (series viewers) would refer to 'The T' when speaking the Truth.

The T can also refer to getting the scoop or inside information about something.
    1. That queen's skirt is too short. I just had to speak the T.
    2. RuPaul was preaching the T when she said, If you can't love yourself how the hell you gonna love anyone else.

So in context - the site is could be called My Truth Runneth Over or The Truth Runneth Over... TRO for short.
    Here's the prospective logo design:

logo2b.png

IDK if it's a good idea or not. I'm not sure if the site will last - but we'll see.

What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea?

"Thou preparest a forum before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my blog with wisdom; my truth runneth over." --- Paraphrase of Psalm 23:5

Did I make the right choice as for the domain name purchase http://TRunnethOver.com or should I also pick up the RunnethOver.net as well? I'm curious to know what you guys think :)

J.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  17. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+633
    get RunnethOver too. I like it better without the T.

18. PoetJC

+5,327
    You think so? Ugh.. I'm so bad at these things. I've already got the domain up and running at http://trunnethover.com/
    I have "Coming Soon" page up for the moment:

tro.png

I was happy with the name. But if it's confusing - I may have to rethink it. I don't want to rethink it because the domain is what the entire site is based on: Telling "the T" --- And I've already started building the site. I think I will start a new thread to discuss the actual blog itself and keep this thread about the domain name.

It's also been suggested via PM that a domain with the word "Truth" in it would be better - like cupoftruth.com or truthbomb.com or some such -- but that would require an entire concept rethinking. To solidify the concept I have now - I'll be using the phrase "We're/I'm telling the T on this folks"

And I realize the blog topic is a contentious one - but I'll appreciate any other thoughts on the domain name if anyone cares to share.
    TIA!

J.

FYI - The suggestion I got via PM started with, "I like the colors and concept, but I worry that people may struggle with the domain name." -- Thoughts on that will be welcome...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  19. jekyll

jekyll Enthusiast

+70
    And now I'll spend the rest of the day thinking about what a "trunnet" is.

20. bucket

bucket badge consultant

+189

yeah. and why does it hover?

truthrunnethover dot com

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.