PermaBan of IP - Sometimes Banning Isn't Enough

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by fixer, May 15, 2018.

1. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+572
    An odd situation occurred the other day...

went to ban someones IP address , sometimes Banning isn't enough... and IP resolved to localhost

whaaa?

I contacted IPS support and they seen it too, then they ran some tests and assured me that issue was due to a server setting on old site and user has never logged in on new site so stored IP resolved to localhost .. along with a group of members in which i had banned IP on old site.

So if you migrate your forum be aware that IP bans default to local host IP address , in which makes re-banning of the IP's impossible i reckon.

• Informative! Informative! x 3
    • List
  2. KnownHost

KnownHost Sponsor

+62
    That's kinda strange. So you're saying the data within IPS pointed to a local IP, or it was name based and that resolved to a localhost IP?

3. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+572
    every IP i banned on xf, now shows local host as IP

4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,536
    Sounds like an import issue. Have you submitted a bug report to IPS?

5. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,880
    All migrated IPs are going to default to local IP address for a long time.

6. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,536
    Not if they fix the issue. If it shows as an actual IP in XF as the banned IP, then that address should be able to be imported into IPS no matter what the "server settings" are.
    I don't see how a stored IP resolves to localhost. Either it is a valid IP for banning or it's not.

7. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,168
    Agree: Perhaps a bug has been found?...
    Needs to be reported to the developers...?

J.

8. KnownHost

KnownHost Sponsor

+62
    That's really strange. I'm not overly familiar with IPS but you should be able to locate the table these IP's are stored in and compare the data. If they display one IP but ban a localhost IP it could be like others have said a bad import where ID's have become misaligned.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Habitué

+357
    Do ip bans really work? Cause i know some are leased out by DHCP and they often change at times. Like one time before a power outage my ip was in the 72. range,but seems after it was in like the 62. range. Plus there been stories where a entire school,college,store or the like got blocked because one person caused trouble.

I think some games and such ban by MAC address

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.