Oxwall will RIP soon?

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by Jason5, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Jason5

Jason5 Adherent

+45
    Few years back Oxwall was so popular and many used their software to start a social networking site. Now the site powered by Oxwall has come down and there is no major update for a long time. Do you think Oxwall will RIP soon?

2. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,163
    No idea, but how popular was it really? Did it have enough manpower and funding to even sustain its existence?

I suspect shifting paradigms have reduced the appeal of social networking scripts like Oxwall, as it makes a lot more sense to add social features to an already active site or build an ecosystem within a mobile app than go all in challenging Facebook on all platforms and regions they dominate.

This reminds me that despite the Data Transfer initiative, these scripts have not offered easy ways to integrate takeout data and the volume of personal information may be unsafe to even handle. People are quitting SNs but not finding viable alternatives to just deleting their accounts.

3. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,219
    Popular ?

I have never even heard of it. :)

4. Paul Buonopane

Paul Buonopane Aspirant

+25
  5. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+248
    100% agree, I have never heard of them, and they seem crazy priced.

6. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,324
    Idiots....? :whistle:

J.

7. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,051
    Hmmm...Dating...
    I would pay any price for the right software to find with its help a rich bride...
    I'm not fussy about her, not necessary to be pretty, age not a problem.(Older is better of course...)
    ;)

8. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,163
    Or anyone hoping to challenge Facebook for venture capital and an IPO on the cheap. Developping all that inhouse would cost far more, in money and time. Not everyone can gamble 2-3 years away with no guaranteed result.

Oxwall is only expensive for community-focused budget admins whose reference is software like vbulletin and phpbb. Need it be reminded that (opensource) software like Vanilla actually charges 700 to 10000 dollars per month ?
    The goal is really to fund development in a sustainable capacity, large companies that can afford to spend this much on their communities/servers can be a bigger help than hobbyists contributing peanuts and asking for royal treatment in exchange...

9. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,324
    So ... Wealthy idiots with bottomless pit deep pockets??... [​IMG]
    Okay - I'm being a bit facetious. I always appreciate your point of view though LeadCrow - always a fresh and provocative perspective.
    I hadn't thought about it that ways - so touche!

J.

10. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+978
    At least they have a mobile app option, unlike nearly all the normal forums options. Considering you can get a site setup for less than $2k as a one off fee that includes an app, it doesn't seem that bad. Whether or not it's any good, I don't know though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.