Opinions On Taiga Chat vs Siropu

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Grimey1, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Grimey1

Grimey1 Aspirant

+4
    Hey all,

I'm looking to add a shout box to my site and was looking for opinions on which of the two is better. I know TAZ used to have Taiga Chat (or both?), but I don't recall when they stopped using it. (I don't come around too often). Thanks in advance for your input.

I'm on v 1.5x and doubt I'll upgrade to 2.x in the near future.

2. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,084
    Ask yourself really hard if you might upgrade to XF 2.x in the future. If yes then go with Siropu since there is no Taiga Chat for the XF2 (yet?). You may also want to read the last few pages of the Taiga Chat support thread at XF.com as the creator of it has not be been active with supporting it lately.

3. Grimey1

Grimey1 Aspirant

+4
    Thanks, Kevin. I saw that he was MIA. Definitely doesn't instill a lot of confidence. I really can't see myself upgrading, but if I did, it would likely be a long time from now.

4. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,200
    Siropu is the more feature-rich of the two anyway.
    If I recall correctly - it seems like TAZ ditched Taigachat and opted for Siropu because Siropu came intact with out-of-box features that required additional (paid?) add-ons for Taigachat in order to have the same/similar functionality.

HTH,

J.

5. Grimey1

Grimey1 Aspirant

+4
    I see, thank you. TAZ no longer uses Siropu either though, right?

6. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,200
    Not that I know of anyway.
    It seems TAZ disabled the chatbox several months ago.

J.

7. dethfire

dethfire Habitué

+204
    Both are sub-optimal and rarely updated

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+88
    It might just be that Siropu is no longer developing it for XF1.x., and the 1.x version is apparently mostly stable and bug-free, since I don't see anyone complaining or asking for help in the XF support thread. The last questions there were back in July, and Siropu responded to them, so there's that. Can't say the same about Luke when it comes to Taiga Chat support, since he's ignored questions and problems for months now.

And Siropu Chat for XF 2.0 was last updated on Sept. 18 and has received at least one update for every month previous going back at least several months. I'm happy with it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    • Informative! Informative! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. Mark87

Mark87 Aspirant

+9
    Have had both. On 1.5 Taiga Chat pro was the bomb. Using Siropu on 2.0 very similar to Taiga. Both good products. Can't really go wrong regardless.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.