XenForo OneSignal Push Notifications - Now With Simple Install 1.1.11.2

Exclusive on TAZ One Signal notifications for Xenforo

1. pierce

pierce Habitué

+693
    upload_2018-1-9_9-42-32.png

even a poxy wix site that your wierd aunt setup could have push notifications, but our million post, million user site cant even deliver an activation email because 3 people marked them as spam on aol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. tmapps

tmapps Participant

+39
    A lot of valid points; it's a reason why Mobile/Web Push was a service (later merged into Mobile Suite), so people can generally just install the plugin, and they're done. Pay $XX for an add-on and then find out there's an additional $100/year, many (esp. the no-budget crowd) will not be happy about it.

3. pierce

pierce Habitué

+693
    You have to be budget conscious. Not great for Devs who actually do this full time. Who bring users and value to a platform.

Some push services are very expensive/limited.

I'm so still very surprised ipb or other forums (except diquss or however you spell it) still have no native push. It's got to be a no brainer two years down the road for forum software.

4. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+545
    Maybe it's not so simple to actually implement?

5. pierce

pierce Habitué

+693
    It's simple...

It's an API call to a push service with a couple of variables.

In its simplest form without dynamic data it's 5 or so lines of code.

It's not simple when you want to build a push service from the ground up. Or when politics get involved.

Perhaps it should be treated like email? It's your responsibility, you put the settings in, test it and for the most part forget about it.

Unfortunately push notifications are extremely lucrative for marketers with direct unrestricted access to your attention.

And every big player in the market wants to control the method of how push notifications are delivered to their technology.

Imagine having to jump through the same hoops to deliver email! Actually what makes email awful is also what makes it incredible. It's open platform for anybody to create and control an email service.

Either way, complex or simple. Forum owners need a way to get notifications to their users. Just as fb, snap, insta, WhatsApp, Viber, candy crush saga, flappy birds, anybody with a Wix site, media websites, blogs, YouTube etc

https://www.drupal.org/project/push_notifications

https://wordpress.org/plugins/push-notifications-for-wp/

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/web-push-notification/

I just can't think of any other major distributions to Google if they have push.

6. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+545
    If only it actually were that simple.

There's an awful lot of iPhones out there. To push to Apple devices, one needs an app on the store that you have to get users to install, which means either a generic app per device, or piggybacking something else (e.g. like the way others piggyback off FB Messenger)

And you can't just wrap the forum into a mobile theme and shove that in what amounts to an iFrame on the device, because Apple restrict this and will boot the app off their store.

Sending to Google's messaging service is somewhat simpler, but still not as simple as you suggest; if it truly were as simple as you suggest, IPS would have it core by now if no-one else did.

As for email, getting email actually delivered is really hard. Even companies who literally do nothing but email struggle to get things delivered; Mailgun, Sendgrid et al find it surprisingly hard to get things delivered to every inbox precisely because the system is so patchwork and unregulated and methods like SPF and DKIM haven't managed to fix the reputation or spam problems nearly as much as anyone hoped.

7. pierce

pierce Habitué

+693
    Ironically you could say apple pioneered it by having it first on safari desktop, but they are flapping about not putting it on iOS. At least service workers is not under consideration but actively being worked on. Maybe see it in 2 years.

It really is simple. Not implementing push notifications ignores how many android users are out there.

What's going to happen is push notifications will become so saturated by the big players because they are already doing it. By the time forums implement it, it will be like trying to get out of the spam inbox of email.

I use postmarkapp they can get an email to anybody in seconds I've not seen it fail yet. I contacted sendgrid about a 10 hour delivery delay to outlook and they didn't want to know. My point about email is that anyone can setup a server. Successful delivery into an inbox is of course the hard part.

8. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+320
    Although it does seem you can create an app for the sole purpose of managing and receiving push notifications, as is the case with Pushover and Pushbullet.

9. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+320
    Any progress on this mate? :)

10. thumped

thumped Neophyte

+1
    BUMP

Any XF2 version news?

11. dannyboy

dannyboy Neophyte

+0
    Yes, hoping to hear as well.

12. rosal

rosal Aspirant

+2
    After update only shows OneSignal 1.1.11 not 1.1.11.2 in admincp.

This is normal?

13. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+320
    Look what you're doing to all these poor forum members around the world piercepierce,

They're all sad that these shiny new XF2 sites that are popping up all over the place don't haven't your beautiful mod skills contributing to them any longer

:(

/guilt trip

;)

upload_2018-3-5_20-51-5.png

14. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+320
  15. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,024
    Something may be getting lost in translation between Turkish & English but step #10 on that list needs to be expanded just a wee bit. ;)

16. pierce

pierce Habitué

+693
    My current life is i get home, hold my 14 week old baby, until she sleeps and I go to bed at that point, wake up @ about 5 or 6 or 7 depending whenever she wakes up, hold her until i go to work, come home from work(at lunch and at dinner) and repeat. My hands are no longer idle... ever...

I wish I had time I honestly do.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  17. thumped

thumped Neophyte

+1
    You've got your priorities straight. Enjoy it.

18. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+239
    This is an excellent resource for everyone. Thank you and hope you're enjoying family time, although it's always very busy.

Anyone have an idea how to restore it if dismissed in FF? I have been doing some testing and making sure all is still sweet, but after dismissing it, I am unable to restore it oddly, even though I can do so on here. :confused:

19. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+239
    Right. They've stopped completely for me. Does anyone still use this and have any suggestions? Pretty please :D

20. thumped

thumped Neophyte

+1
    usually it's just click the little info icon to the left of the HTTPS padlock / URL box(?), then click the X to delete the permission you've set

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.