Odd ways of advertising your forum?

Discussion in 'Increasing Traffic' started by Shawn Gossman, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,863
    Have any of you advertised your forum outside the realm of normalcy?

For example...on a bike path I commonly visit. I wrote the web address for a cycling site I have on the crushed limestone trail. I actually got a visitor who saw it - they emailed me to tell me. I was happy but I also laughed my ass off for several hours, LOL.

I know I know, I spammed the bike trail.

But that is a great example of an odd way to promote a forum.

I am interesting in hearing other odd ways you have all promoted your forums?!

2. Empire

Empire Devotee

+500
    Make a business card and hand out to random people.

3. r3v0lution

r3v0lution Enthusiast

+47
    Worn t-shirts with our gaming community and website to a Comic-Con before.... Sadly, with all the fancy cosplay, I don't think the t-shirt got noticed.

4. Empire

Empire Devotee

+500
    Stick your forum logo on your car.

5. Wes of StarArmy

Wes of StarArmy Adherent

+84
    Commission artwork from popular artists who will share it and your URL with their thousands of fans.

6. Shawn Gossman

+1,863
    How about public restroom walls? I guess that could be a law violation... But imagine it...

For a good time, go to TheAdminZone.com

LOL

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  7. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+374
    Haha, that's pretty awesome, Shawn GossmanShawn Gossman. What I'm doing is what StrivingStriving mentioned. I have business cards which I'll probably end up leaving in coffee shops or just wherever I go. Site itself still needs work though, it's not live. I've always thought about doing something similar for other projects, but I've never felt like I'd get any members for things like MMORPG-specific forums. Just too niche to leave cards around for. But with this website, at least most men can grow some sort of facial hair!

ai.imgur.com_kCzXYrX.png

8. Empire

Empire Devotee

+500
    TeccaTecca

How do you write your business cards?

Do you think it's best to leave one side blank, and one side with your forum logo and link?

9. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+374
    I'm not sure what's best, but I do like the look of having a logo on one side and then the text/link on the other side. If the site's logo and name are obvious as to what the topic is, I'd make it as simple as possible. If the domain needs to be branded, I'd probably add a tagline or slogan before the website link, to give people an idea of what the site is.

This is the logo on one side:
    ai.imgur.com_rjMzGbtm.jpg

And the other side has the site name display prominently with a small subtext URL below it. I feel like it looks intriguing enough to get visitors!

I think leaving one side completely blank might make people miss it altogether, since it won't catch anyone's eye (it'll just look like a blank card if it's facing down). Like with my business card, I printed the second side as black & white to save a little money:

ai.imgur.com_THQDbecm.jpg
    ai.imgur.com_lScsYUxm.jpg

EDIT: I don't plan on leaving the email cards around, those I just hand to people if they need my email.

10. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,299
    You could also put the name and the logo on one side, and make the cards fridge magnets. People will like it cause it's functional, plus they will see it every time they go to the fridge to get something to eat or drink. ;)

11. Shattered

Shattered Neophyte

+4
    Telling your classmates at school.

Then they make fun of you... hahah

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  12. Shawn Gossman

+1,863
    Since we're flashing business cards and all...attached is mine (front and back) for my consulting business.

gc-cards.jpg

13. SimonP1878

SimonP1878 Adherent

+13
    I run a website / forum dedicated to a Premier League football team. Earlier this year, we launched a print fanzine that we give away to supporters at matches.

We printed 10,000 copies of the first two issues (second issue is still at the printers!) - the first issue was crowdfunded through our forum / website / Twitter / Facebook. The second issue was funded by advertising. We sold four adverts!

The fanzine has the same logo as our website. Our website features prominently within the fanzine, and we utilise our relationship with former players / the club to put content exclusively in the fanzine, which is only available in print form.

The first issue featured a player on the front cover who had been subject to transfer bids from a rival club - who we were playing on the day we launched our first issue. We got global TV exposure and national newspapers printed photos of our cover.

awww.nsno.co.uk_everton_wp_content_uploads_2015_09_Screen_Shotc57ea0e89a03542aa2e6b03ada39cf72.png

For our second issue we have interviewed our player of the moment, so expect it to fly out of our hands!

Obviously this doesn't work with all niches, and won't work at all with sites based on online activities, but for cyclists, it might be worth a go doing something that bike shops hand out to their customers, or tourist information places hand out to visitors? For beard aficionados then perhaps barber shops? those same places that hand them out / stock them, could also be the places you tap up for advertising!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. SimonP1878

SimonP1878 Adherent

+13
    Just an update....our second issue has gone down fantastically well and the feedback we have received has been amazing

I think as far as the website goes it's not so much about advertising it anymore, rather than refreshing it in people's minds so they visit it again / more often.

It is it's own entity now as a print publication, and people have started actively looking for it when we announce we have a new issue out, and I am actually surprised by how little I am concerned about not publishing the content online!

I thought I would want it all to go onto the website, but actually I enjoy the fact that we are producing something that is ONLY available offline. It gives it a kind of "limited" feel which I think appeals to people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  15. bibitbunga

bibitbunga Aspirant

+2
    Hi Simon, I am sorry but forgive me if I don't understand enough. So basically you prefer advertising offline (with fanzine) to any advertising online?

16. SimonP1878

SimonP1878 Adherent

+13
    no not at all, we carry ad space on our forums / site but we rarely - certainly not in the last five years - BUY advertising

we use our social media accounts to, what I think, good effect and we produce content that people want to read and share, and reply to.

the offline angle was that it was a project that I had wanted to do for over a decade, and was finally able to do it. it works both as it's own entity / publication as well as a bit of an advert for the website too.

17. Fuser

Fuser Aspirant

+2
    Painting "studentforums.org" on a few pigs and letting them loose in the school seemed to do the trick

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted