obsessing about header...

Discussion in 'Community Styling' started by Lala, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Lala

Lala Participant

+26
    Hi.

This is Xenforo default:
    [​IMG]

This is what I'm used to:
    [​IMG]

You see that user menu is on top right, tabs are on bottom right, and logo is on the left, spanning across both rows, top and bottom. I think it's cleaner / more intuitive, saves horizontal space a little, and allows for a much larger logo. But I'm not sure how big of a difference it makes in the grand scheme of things. If it's worth bothering with, or if I'm just resisting change, clinging to my old stuff for no valid reason. Asked the community, got mixed responses, but it seems like it's not a deal breaker either way.

What do you think?

2. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+157
    The top one all the way. This is because a clear header block - logo and space to the right - allows much easier customisation later, the classic example being a place to put an advertising banner. The second one just looks like a car crash of menu stuff all over the place to me and I don't know where I would fit my ads into that.

In some ways it's a moot question however because you only need to make template and CSS edits to get whatever look/placement you want anyway.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. Lala

Lala Participant

+26
    Oh I see. It's for ads. I kept trying to guess why do they have it this way, all this unused space and cramped up up logo/tabs. Forgot about ads. That's what it's for. Makes sense now. Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.