Not using a control panel

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by LordOfSpoon, Jan 12, 2018.

1. LordOfSpoon

LordOfSpoon I Am Spoon!

+76
    Hello everyone! Hope all is well...

I have a question that I have never asked myself. As I have always used cPanel or some sort of control panel, would not using any control panel and only using SSH and FTP increase my websites speed?

Say for example, my current website. I take a speed test using cPanel and later reset my server and only use FTP then do another speed test. Would I see a difference in speed?

The main reason I'm really asking is because I'm trying to cut costs and stop paying for a monthly sub for cPanel. It really starts to eat a hole in your pocket after awhile. :p

2. pierce

pierce Habitué

+693
    You could use centminmod which is very good for centos. A lifetime Debian user switched to it.

Now, if it's only one website not too bad.

I'm running a 100k pageviews / day unique on a €60 a month vps with elastic xenforo and sql on the same box.

For mail I have another dedicated server. You could use mailinabox on a $5/month vps?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,648
    You would use less memory but speed well maybe a little more but using only SSH to run a server is far more work. You’ll need to have experience to run it like that a control panel is faster for novice users.

4. pierce

pierce Habitué

+693
    Not pushing centminmod, but it's pretty simple. Googling the current version is the hardest thing about upgrading PHP or nginx..

I'm also using cloudflare so use self signed certs.

5. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+703
    Depends on how non-cpanel configuration is setup. I like to say, it's not about what you use but how you use it that matters. So how you configure cPanel/WHM vs non-cpanel/WHM setups. Knowledge is key - if you know cpanel ins and outs very well and can tune it an leverage all that it can provide (including cpanel plugins available), it can be pretty performant for most folks. Cpanel gives you a lot of tools out of the box, you just need to know how to tune and optimise for your usage requirements as cPanel out of box may not be that optimal.

But I am pretty confident, my Centmin Mod LEMP stack will perform better out of the box than a lot of control panels commercial or non-commercial/open source that are out there. Example of some Centmin Mod user reviews comparing performance to EasyEngine for Wordpress linked to at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/official-centminmod-com-reviews-page-updated.13585/ :) But again you have to put in the time to read and learn regardless - as you only get as much out of any configuration as the effort you put in ;) If you want to check out Centmin Mod start with a test VPS server and test site and learn the ropes https://community.centminmod.com/threads/guide-to-learning-more-about-centmin-mod.10838/ ;) :D

No need to google bookmark php.net and nginx.org. For Centmin Mod just sign up for official community forums, follow on social media accounts and subscribe to browser push notifications as I will always inform Centmin Mod users of php and nginx updates through such channels. Also additional tips read https://community.centminmod.com/threads/how-to-keep-informed-of-centmin-mod-related-updates.11443/

6. LordOfSpoon

LordOfSpoon I Am Spoon!

+76
    Hey thanks everyone :) I would like to say I'm pretty versed in cPanel. Although cPanel is what I have always used, ever since I first started using web hosting many years ago. So I really don't know much outside of Apache.

I think I might purchase a low end vps and give it a shot. I would be nice to see the difference in Apache and Nginx.

7. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+703
    You can get a very decent 2GB 50GB disk space OpenVZ VPS with HostUS for around US$25-50 per year (yes per year) to test out different control panels/web stack configurations. I usually share the good hosts I find on Centmin Mod community forums for my users i.e. past HostUS deals (i currently have 7x 2GB ram, 50GB Disk OpenVZ VPS from them at US$25/yr each).
    But performance wise you want KVM VPS not OpenVZ VPS but KVM more expensive.

8. LordOfSpoon

LordOfSpoon I Am Spoon!

+76
    OMG eva2000eva2000

Where have you been my whole life. lol I currently have a couple plans with them. They are pretty good. Fair prices. Although I am using OpenVZ and need to switch to KVM. The plan I'm using now is a promo for 6GB of RAM etc etc for $35 /6mo. Not bad at all.

Is Centmin a control panel, or only command line?

BTW, your forum is beautiful!

9. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+703
    Great minds and all :D Still fairly new to HostUS.us - on my 2nd year (recently renewed) 5x of VPS and first month coming for the most recent 2x VPS i got from them. Peformance to price ratio is perfect for testing VPS servers especially testing out Centmin Mod :)
    Centmin Mod is pure SSH command line with shell based menu for commonly managed stuff https://centminmod.com/lemp.html and https://centminmod.com/menu.html. No web gui just means one less potential security issue to worry about :) And personally, find web guis slower for some tasks. i.e. how fast can you mass create multiple domain/site accounts https://community.centminmod.com/th...g-nginx-vhost-mysql-users-and-databases.8257/ :)
    Thanks, 99.999% of that is all RussRuss and SteveSteve wonderful work with Pixelexit FlatAwesome+ style :D

Oh and for cPanel/WHM to Centmin Mod migration guide - yes looks like alot of work but practice on test VPS without actually touching your live site's DNS hehe https://community.centminmod.com/th...-whm-sites-to-centmin-mod-lemp-servers.11610/

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+3,394
    Another vote for CentOS using CentMin Mod here. It's really an easy way to control your server.
    It's CLI based, but easy to use.

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 8.18.35 PM.png

11. LordOfSpoon

LordOfSpoon I Am Spoon!

+76
    I believe you may have converted me over. I will get a new small vps and try it out. I'm really not even worried about migration. Just backup everything manually and go from there.

12. pierce

pierce Habitué

+693
    Moved 6 days ago (from dedicated to vps with centmin, also includes move to xf2):

upload_2018-1-13_13-1-8.png

upload_2018-1-13_13-2-59.png

That's pretty normal explosion in traffic for this time of year. But the point is the first week was on XF1.5.16, the 2nd was on XF2 on VPS with centminmod.

Even during testing centminmod with Apaches load test tool it was faster and did more requests in the same time period.

13. LordOfSpoon

LordOfSpoon I Am Spoon!

+76
    So I purchase a new vps last night and gave Centmin a try... Its great. I already have a couple sites setup and runs really smooth. Thanks a lot eva2000eva2000

14. pierce

pierce Habitué

+693
    Where's my thanks :(

15. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,648
    eva2000eva2000 is it not interesting to make centmin compatible with lets say virtualmin and webmin, so people can have the best of both worlds.

16. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+703
    great to hear :)
    thanks for sharing your experience with Centmin Mod :)
    nah. Centmin Mod for the mean while will be pure SSH based as still have alot on my to do list to nail out https://github.com/centminmod/centminmod/projects/1 :)

17. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+3,394
    I'd MUCH rather see him work on incorporating MTA services with virtual domain ability. ;)

18. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+703
    MTA mail server for inbound emails is definitely not on the books right now as outlined at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/postfix-email-for-multiple-domains.9310/#post-39123. Much easier to use 3rd party @domain email providers for uptime, security, reliability and portability (moving web hosts/servers) and less server resource usage (especially when you start looking at spamassassin/anti-virus and malware scanning of emails).

19. LordOfSpoon

LordOfSpoon I Am Spoon!

+76
    I want to try and install node.js and see how well Ghost Blog will run. Although it is suppose to require ubuntu instead of centos, it runs quite nicely.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.