NoNewbs - Featured Forum [Big Boards]

Discussion in 'Featured Communities' started by Kathy, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Kathy

Kathy Tazmanian Veteran

+49
    A hearty welcome to NoNewbs - another big-board we are featuring!

FORUM BASICS:
    What is the name of your website and a brief description of the theme/topic of the forums. What is the url?

Our website name is NoNewbs (childish yeah) and it's an off topic/general discussion forum. The url is http://forums.nonewbs.com

List some of the most popular forums and describe its discussions.

The main draw is the Off Topic forum -- pretty much anything goes there. Some of our more popular threads have been one in which CNN credited us for finding a slew of edited animated .gifs of the Bush shoe throwing incident, one in which many people ms-painted how they'd access a cake on the other side of a spiked tunnel, and well, anything they want to talk about.

The anime and manga forum is pretty popular due to a lot of defectors from another site who weren't happy with things there. Other popular subforums would be EDUmacational (how to forum), fitness, and automotive subforums.

What prompted you to start your forum? What was your launch date?

We started our forum after a popular one that we were from started charging to post in the main forum. They had already been charging for many standard vBulletin features such as search, profile viewing, avatars, etc.

Do you have any special forum features or activities?

We try to do giveaways and contests to members who positively contribute to the community or well, happen to fall into luck. We also have a few of us that do a radio broadcast for the community featuring music, talk, call-ins, and general drunken debauchery.
    SOFTWARE:
    Which software do you use for your forums?

vBulletin -- whatever the current version happens to be

Do you use any add-ons scripts to enhance your site? Which ones?

Yes, several. We use popular scripts like Live Topic, Favorite Smilies, etc as well as several in-house developed ones like a subforum aggregator.

HARDWARE:
    What is your current server set-up? Do you have multiple servers for your big board forum? Who manages your servers?

At the moment we are on a dual Xeon Irwindale with 2GB of RAM. Server management is in-house.
    MEMBERS:
    Membership stats? How many members?

Over 9000 members.

What are the demographics of your site? (Percentage of men, women, age groups, locality related)

Largely male but we do have a significant percentage of females.
    STAFF:
    Tell us a about your staff including how many admins (and their functions), moderators, mentors, web-developers, etc. Explain how your staff is organized.

We have a multi-tired system. The owner is the "super-admin" and handles most server work. We have 4 admins which handle board administration. Myself and another one do most of the board customizations, he is definitely the more experienced and talented one.
    REVENUE:
    How do you generate revenue to cover your expenses? (Ecommerce, subscriptions, advertising, affiliate links, etc)

VIP membership/subscriptions. Other earnings are not significant but I've recently taken over the marketing/advertisement department and will actively pursue other forms of revenue.

Do you offer upgraded members groups for a fee? What benefits do they get for subscribing/upgrading?

Yes. They get access to many features like Live Topic, Favorite Smilies, larger avatars (filesize and dimensions), more Private Message Storage, Personal Stickies, access to a VIP only forum which we keep well stocked with goodies, and more.
    ADMIN:
    What is your name?

Shawn, though mostly known by tryfuhl online.

Please share a few things about yourself. (Bio, family, education, background, hobbies, your favorite pizza topping, your favorite vacation spot, your choice of transportation, etc)

I live in Charlotte, NC at the time being but may be relocating soon. Choice of transportation depends where I'm going but I love cycling. Also into weight lifting, web work, music, fashion and design, and scotch.

How do you spend a typical day as admin on your site? What do you enjoy about your job as admin of your site/forums? Do you office in your home or in a separate office space away from your house?

I try to post with the community a lot, but always check to make sure that there are no outstanding issues in the reported posts, site discussions, moderator and admin forums, and whatnot. I also check stats and analytics and do some promoting. I do this from home.

What has been the biggest obstacle you have faced in starting or running your forums? How did you/do you handle it?

Trying to bring all of the staff together to make things run efficiently. Sometimes moderators forget that they're supposed to help lead the way in their forums or participate in discussions in the moderator forum. Sometimes the owner/server guy is slow to respond and hard to reach.

What 3 things have helped your forums to be a success?

1) Relaxed rules and mostly friendly moderation
    2) Having a number of users defect from another very active community
    3) Great development team (haha)

2. Shawn

Shawn Enthusiast

+1
    Thanks for the feature!

3. ximike2022

ximike2022 Neophyte

+0
    Thanks for shareing. This is an very useful forum.Specially,the promble of what has been the biggest obstacle you have faced in starting or running your forums benefit me a lot.
    Trying to bring all of the staff together to make things run efficiently. It seems rather effective.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.