Question No Drama Queen or Meh?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by DaveL, Feb 13, 2015.

1. dieKetzer

dieKetzer Adherent

+279
    /meh
    as if off topic is the only place one could post a qualifying comment.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,192
    You may be right, but see how you actually made a post letting us know your feelings instead of clicking a funny looking icon? ;)

3. dieKetzer

dieKetzer Adherent

+279
    is that always for the best?

4. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,192
    99% of the time yes, we do want discussions here even if the post isn't what everyone wants to hear. The ratings that were removed was a "quick" way to rate someones post, it gave nothing to the discussions especially in the areas it was removed from.

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  5. dieKetzer

dieKetzer Adherent

+279
    maybe so, but maybe the exchange isnt always warranted.
    so instead people may simply laugh at posts and give lots of genius ratings. sorry if that dilutes their intended use.

6. s.molinari

s.molinari Leader of Skooppa

+1,952
    You guys are sort of contradicting yourselves. Aren't you?:whistle:

Scott

7. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,192
    No we are not, unless you think Alex is speaking for TAZ?

Ideally certain ratings are to limit the spammy unneeded post such as "+1". Ratings such as Drama Queen have their place, we tried them here, seen how the rating was used and decided to pull it from the main discussion areas since it seemed the same users just going around and around with it which begins to make it look like a gaming site or some such. I figured of all places this rating should be the least of the worries among a group of "admins" that want to share ideas, have constructive discussions and debate without resorting to just arguing over a "Drama Queen" rating they received.

8. s.molinari

s.molinari Leader of Skooppa

+1,952
    Actually I was. LOL! My bad. Nevermind.:D:oops:

Scott

9. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    Oh crud. You've managed to figure out that Steve is my Cyborg twin who's much more younger than I am and a funnier one too. :( I have very different opinions on what is acceptable for forum discussion and what isn't. I would say that when Steve says that, he speaks as a TAZ staff member and for the forum. When I say what I said, it's for any and all forums. I hate fluff posts.

Now I want a robot twin. :love:

10. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    Yep. There's quite a talent in the graphics request area.
    I use the 'creative' rating quite often to show appreciation for folks' design talents.

Oh Lord. If there's a donkey head rating - we'll have a 100 page discussion on whether it is subliminally calling members of the Democratic party jackasses. Then we'll need an elephant rating which reads. Bad joke hehe.

Hilarious. But you do make an excellent point. And I think I'll weigh in with my opinion now...

I had issues with the Drama Queen rating when we first installed Post Ratings add-on. My concern was that my posts, which weren't necessarily dramatic in my eyes were getting swamped with the DQ rating because some dude hates my guts or something. I did allow it to become personal - for a minute or two. Then I got over completely over it.

The DQ rating is not one that I use often because I mostly find the term offensive (ironic considering on a good day - I generally cuss like 5-6 drunk sailors) and have generally used it when I thought a comment was just over the top or offending to my unoffendable sensibilities LOL. I don't generally make offending statements ... on TAZ - so I couldn't understand why a slew of my posts were given that rating. I suppose Drama Queen has a different meaning for everyone?

That being said - I'd actually gotten used to seeing the rating used and in some cases - misused. Never thought I'd be the one saying this - but I sorta miss seeing the DQ rating anyway. Go figure. And like tomk said - Did the DQ and Meh ratings really do anything? Aside from causing 2-minutes of frustration - I can say that for me personally - it wasn't that much of an issue. But that 2-minutes of frustration though -- because I did feel a bit slighted and felt the rating had been misused -- was something else. On the 3rd minute - it was smiles though.

The 'Meh' rating. Never had an issue with that one personally. Somethings in life (statements included) are meh.
    Welcome to the world :whistle:

J.

11. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+434
    I regret I have but one post rating to give to this post.

It was much easier to just read it, flag it, and move on, rather than having to explain why their post is complete codswallop. And I'm not even British! Maybe we could get an icon "Not Helpful" or something similar.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  12. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    There was an animated smiley back in the day when IPS had a public thread where people could make and request them. Someone created a great "up yours" smiley that did the whole "up yours" movement with its arms. There was a great Sir Isaac Newton one with apple falling too, which I requested. There's also a decent old fashioned smiley that would give you the finger and the finger resembled those giant foam hands you'll see at sporting events. None which are appropriate for TAZ, but I suppose a butt wiggle smiley would be better than a donkey head. :p

13. PoetJC

+5,327
    aimg151.imageshack.us_img151_9918_flipoffib7.gif
    Nope. I'm afraid it is way too large for the Post Ratings add-on :whistle:

Oh noes. The butt wiggle smiley would be RIPE for abuse. I can even see myself complaining about it: "Did you just call me an ass. Well - YOUR'RE an ass... Bla bla bla." And then the fists come out.. But hey - I suppose the same could be said of the donkey head right? Get it? It's an ass joke aimageup.jacquiidesigns.com_di_UIP2.gif LOL

J.

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  14. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    YES! Thank you for finding that, Jac. Saved that one for future use. Not on here of course. ;) I'd try to do it myself but my past efforts at smiley creation have been nothing but terrible.

15. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    Yeah I know the feeling with graphics, can't do it, and suck at editing them, heck I can even mess up taking pictures. :p

16. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    I'm not saying I'm terrible or that I'm great. I'm bad with the subtleties. In other words, I'm terrible but not too terrible. Shelley gave me enough pointers and I still managed to muck it up. I've always considered my pirate sword ranks the best I've ever done. They still look great IMO. Large ranks have gone the way of the Dodo bird now.

17. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    LMAO at Dodo bird. :)

18. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,192
    My, how times have changed...:p

19. PoetJC

+5,327
    I've used it a few times here actually - but hopefully not in a way that someone would want to chop my fingers off bahahaa.

PoetJC is always at your service just so ya know :p

Shelley's the best designer I've had the pleasure of getting to know. I wonder how she's doing anyone know????
    Haven't seen her around in a while. Hey Shelley aimg690.imageshack.us_img690_6135_waveym.gif

Ping! I hope things are good with you girlie!

J.

20. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    Yes, I know you are always available to do my graphic requests. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.