vBulletin Newsletter 1.3.1

Forum Activity Newsletter

1. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,696
    The use of $var =& new class() was deprecated in php 5.3, and would throw this message ;

It was removed completely in php 7, and therefore now throws the syntax error message.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+183
    This looks very nice. I'll consider using it on my vB4 sites and if I do, I'll definitely donate. Unfortunately, I typically avoid sending out emails - as too many people either eventually forget they opted in and mark it as "spam" or simply do the same because they're too lazy to opt out...

3. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+312
    Sorry no. Don't have a license and don't plan to upgrade my current vB4 license.

4. BGObsession

BGObsession Participant

+39
    Just to confirm, removing of the '&' symbol did resolve the errors. I plan to play with this over the weekend. I may need some help with some of the email setup stuff but am glad to test this out on my 4.2.5 php 7 board...

5. BGObsession

BGObsession Participant

+39
    I have my newsletter looking really nice - love the easy to tweak CSS file - sometimes figuring out CSS can be maddening but pretty simple. One thing - I want to change the 'Special Member' header to something like 'Member Spotlight'... where can I make that change?

I have not attempted to send out my newsletter to the masses yet. I don't do much with our email account and the settings stuff I just took my best shot on, so if I run into problems hopefully you can give some assistance ChrisTERiS?

This is by far the nicest newsletter mod I've seen. I like that I can use the advertisements section to pretty much add any html content I want. Awesome work!

6. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+312
    You need to edit the Global Phrase-> Newsletter-> newsletter_special_member
    It's a way to see what frustating work are doing non-English webmasters :)

I'm not sure if I got your meaning. Do you want me to help you by explaining what each setting is for Mailing settings?

Thank you very much.

7. BGObsession

BGObsession Participant

+39
    The 'Preview Newsletter' function works perfectly, but I can't get the global 'Schedule Newsletters' feature to work (i.e. I have set up some scheduled email send dates and times, but it's not sending).As mentioned I am not super familiar with email settings in cPanel. Would you be willing to take a look at my 'Mail Server Options and see what the issue is if I send you cPanel and site admin vB access?

8. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+312
    Give me a couple of hours to install it somewhere, because I'll be liar if I say that, after 6 years, I remember how it works.

But I've a question. Is your site active? vBulletin has a strange behavior when it comes to run cronjobs. Visitors are who activating this procedure, so no visitors means no cronjob actions.

From Admincp can you manually run the follow cronjobs:
    1.- Prepares Community Newsletters and adds them to queue.
    2.- Newsletter Send Emails

9. BGObsession

BGObsession Participant

+39
    Yes my site is active. When I manually do the cron jobs, it looks like it allows me to prepare the newsletter and put it in the queue but when I run the cron to send the newsletter it says 'message body empty'

10. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+312
    That's strange. Maybe I don't remember all feataures but for sure it was working. The error message must comes from PHPMailer as I don't have such error message in my code.

Can you please PM me access to phpMyAdmin to check your data? Or you can look at table newsletter_newsletters (plus prefix if you use table prefix) and see if the field "message" has data?

11. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+312
    Also can you unzip the attached file and upload new version (3 files) of PHP Mailer to newsletter/ directory?
    Then check again the cronjob to send the newsletter.

Attached Files:

12. BGObsession

BGObsession Participant

+39
    Lord - I must be a *newbie* as I can't figure out how to send a PM in Xenforo (not familiar or maybe I don't have enough posts yet to PM someone....). I would appreciate your taking a look once I figure out how to get you my cPanel info :)

It's also possible the issue is with my mail server setup in the actual newsletter section in the admincp... not sure when you run a cron job if that's even necessary but somethings not functioning correctly for sure... I do run my site through a Sucuri firewall but I have the /newsletter/ folder whitelisted so I don't think that could be the issue. I have also tried DBTech's newsletter (currently disabled) and it was able to send without issue.

13. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+312
    If you click my profile, normally you must see an option to start a convertation with me.

Cronjobs are running from the directory includes/cron/ But I don't think that this is the issue as you were able to send the testing email from admincp/ directory.

14. BGObsession

BGObsession Participant

+39
    Yeah, I don't have that option when clicking a profile :(

15. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+312
    I started a convertation. You can reply there.

16. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,166
    You needed 10 posts which you now have :)

17. BGObsession

BGObsession Participant

+39
    I just wanted to give a shoutout and sincere thanks to Chris (ChrisTERiS) for his incredible help - he has spent hours helping me troubleshoot this mod. He has built an amazing newsletter modification. The issues we have had are related to my server setup, not his modification. I am hoping we can get all of my site issues worked out so I can fully use this awesome newsletter. Thanks for being so patient Chris as I continue to bother you with questions!

18. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+312
    ChrisTERiS updated Newsletter with a new update entry:

Newsletter ver. 1.3.1

Read the rest of this update entry...

19. BGObsession

BGObsession Participant

+39
    Chris' Newsletter mod is just awesome! I have been looking for a newsletter mod that I could really customize and that was simple to use with a wealth of features - and I finally found one. That this is a free app is amazing! I'm so happy with the work Chris did to get this running perfectly on 4.5.2 and php 7 that I'm going to make a $$ donation to acknowledge all of his time and work. Great work Chris!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+192
    ChrisTERiSChrisTERiS :

I didn't get a notification of your reply for some reason - I'll check my settings.

I've been busy in any case but I'll give this a shot and get back to you. Thanks.