HTML CSS New website, editor, sitemap etc.

Discussion in 'HTML, CSS & JavaScript' started by Oedipus, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Oedipus

Oedipus Aspirant

+6
    So I've started building my website. It's a simple template because my niche does not require something demanding. I used HTML and CSS only. Code from 0.

1. Advanced site editor?

I would like to install some sort of website editor on my website so I wouldn't have to edit files via FileZilla all the time. Can it be implemented to my custom template?

Can it, for example, change a specific text, image, box (div) size?

Would I need to re-write my website in order to install it?

2. Search function

I know that HTML is not enough for a search function(box) for my website. So, I am asking you how to add a search function?

For example, I type 'poetry' and it displays results: words and sentences that contain poetry, some sort of category (named poetry).

Of course I need it to be able to select my 'categories' (tabs) so it can search text just from that page.

3. Monitoring

I heard of Piwik (now Matomo). I would like to know is there any other (better) software like Piwik?

4. Google and sitemap

I need a good guide on sitemap. I know to use Google Webmaster but I need a nice guide for HTML&CSS websites and sitemap. In short, how to get my website on Google in the best possible way?

And does cyrillic has an impact on SEO?

5. PDF Viewer

Is there any PHP(or any other) software that allowes me to upload a PDF file and then to read it, but with a 'page list'.

For example: On the left it displays PDF info (name, title, date etc.) under it: Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, ... Page 120 etc. On the right it displays just one page (Page 1 or Page 120 etc.). Can that be done regardless uploading that I mentioned before.

6. Sites almost like CloudFlare

A few years back I've found a few websites that allowes you to add their logo, banner or an icon and use their 'services'. One site was about 'security', anti-cooy website. For example, you write an article and then if someone copy it, you will find it via that site.

Do you know any kind of websites like that one?

7. Webmaster/Administration resources

Where I can find a nice website/package with webmaster and administration resouces. Any sort of resources would be fine.

8. Mobile

How hard is to make site responsive? Is there any tutorial?

9. How to make email subscription?

I think that's it! Thank you in advace!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  2. PoetJC

PoetJC ❤ Jacq Of All Trades ❤

+4,962
    From the sound of your concerns and needs - it actually sounds a better idea that you build the website on a framework like WordPress or another CMS, perhaps even looking into html/css/js solutions like bootstrap. It would probably serve you a bit better and make wiser use of your time by utilizing such a framework, as opposed to implementing the almost-dozen concerns you've listed via other 3rd party scripts.

J.

3. Oedipus

Oedipus Aspirant

+6
    Thanks for the suggestion but I don't know to make themes for WP nor Joomla.

4. PoetJC

PoetJC ❤ Jacq Of All Trades ❤

+4,962
    Well... Do a bit of research and you'll find quite a few free themes that shouldn't be too difficult to customize since you know html & css. And some really good ones that come with functionality you're inquiring about + are responsive out-of-box... Google "free responsive wordpress themes" or some such and you should see a myriad of options that more than suffice for your needs. If all else fails - do you have a budget? You might consider hiring someone to build the site for you if you do... Might I ask - what is the url to your current site?

Anyway - just a suggestion you might take into consideration...
    Otherwise - perhaps someone else can suggest another route for you.

J.

5. darnoldy

darnoldy Curmudgeon

+440
    Since you already know HTML and CSS, it will be much easier for you to learn to edit WP templates (I've done it myself—its annoying as bejeezus, but not hard) than it will be for you to learn enough about a server-side scripting language to build the functions you've listed.

6. Oedipus

Oedipus Aspirant

+6
    Anyone?

7. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,807
    There are already suggestions from PoetJCPoetJC and darnoldydarnoldy.
    Unfortunately not one could satisfy all your requirements.

8. Lala

Lala Aspirant

+7
    It's like buying a pair of jeans vs sewing your very own unique pants (or hiring someone to do it for you). If you're doing it as a hobby and don't have any time constraints, you could learn PHP and JS, and code all these things from scratch. That will take a while, but you'll have full control over your results, the only limit will be your skill level. Or you could use a ready-made platform like WP, and focus on building your content rather than the platform for it.

You won't get responses with links to guides/tutorials because there are too many variables. For example, your question #8 (Mobile) contradicts your question #5 (PDF Viewer) because PDF files aren't fluid. If you don't want to use a ready-made platform, you need to figure out how to resolve this conflict, only then one could link to a tutorial that matches your goal...

9. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+646
    Check out https://www.elegantthemes.com/ their divi-builder is something else and the cost is minimal compared to buying loads of 3rd party add-ons. They also have an amazing collection of ready-made themes to choose from.

;)

10. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,980
    You can install on your server a web version of an HTML editor, so you can edit static webpages anywhere without needing this of an FTP client installed on your workstation. Most webhosts make accessible an online editor for websitewpage, so you shouldnt need in
    Theinstalling your own.
    An easier solution would be using a desktop dr mobile html editor like dreamveaver or bluegriffon. Just open the site/page you want, edit away and save.

Firefo, Chrome and Edge can can open PDF filed directly, wheter uploaded uploaded or not. Any mainstream post editor like ckeditor or tinymce would allow you to add an upload function, as well as the possibily to browse existing uploads and open them.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted