Feedback New Posts Count

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Paul M, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+2,085
    The little red counter of new posts seems to have stopped working ?

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,863
    Yes they have its real pain in the butt, because i saw if i had to read new posts.

3. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+954
    I very rarely pay attention to those alerts.
    I just click the new post link and see the new post ;)
    You are right though, it's not showing at all today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,911
    It disappeared earlier:

5. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+2,085
    So can someone with the power please fix it.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,908
    It was being inconsistent as to what was actually shown to the user. 5 unread post, read a post then it showed 6 instead of 4. I usually don't even bother marking the forums read or trying to keep up with each topic but in the last 1.5 weeks I have been and the unread post counter was not showing the correct count.

7. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+2,085
    It's never done that for me.

They only time I've ever know it wrong was for posts in a Private forum (Helpdesk ?).

I end up skipping the site now becasue it looks like nothing new has been posted when I load the page, I have always used that as my indicator.

8. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,477
    That add-on was disabled at the request of an administrator. I've only ever heard complaints about it up until now.

9. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,863
    Never had issues with the new post count only issue was what Paul say’s in private forum like Helpdesk.

10. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+2,085
    Where are these complaints ?

I cannot recall anyone complaining about it - but you can consider this a complaint that its been removed.

11. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,908
    It's been going on for quite some time. No cause has really ever been determined, it isn't private nodes as nothing has been posted in at the time it happened to me.
    https://theadminzone.com/threads/so...ew-posts-count-and-the-served-results.116077/
    https://theadminzone.com/threads/no-new-posts-showing.116065/
    https://theadminzone.com/threads/new-post-count-issue.132114/
    https://theadminzone.com/threads/new-post-count.118535/

12. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+557
    SteveSteve, of the 4 topics you linked to, all were over 3 years old and 2 of them were from people that were confusing the post count with the thread count indicators. So, maybe there is a caching or some other bug involved, but it doesn't seem to affect all people. I've never experienced the problem, but even if I did, a discrepancy of a couple of posts doesn't nullify the value that plugin has. I doubt it is causing any damage to the system, so maybe it can be turned back on and let anyone who reports the problem know it's a bug that is known and should be fixed at some not too distant future.

13. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,647
    It was my understand that only moderators were experiencing a discrepancy between the number of unread posts reported and the actual number of unread posts, due to there being unread posts in a particular staff forum (I assume now from reading this thread, that it is the "Helpdesk" forum).

But for the record, I am okay with it being there or not. I know I have unread posts by running the "New Posts" query.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  14. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,824
    I've had issues with the mod in the distant past which could be fixed by marking the entire forum read but it's worked flawlessly for me since then. I've never worked out why it doesn't work for some people.

15. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+2,085
    Well Im happy to see it re-appear, so thank you. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,911
  17. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+557
    Yes, thanks very much.

• List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.