Need a windows user to test a page

Discussion in 'HTML, CSS & JavaScript' started by fixer, May 20, 2018.

1. fixer

fixer Most Wanted

+370
  2. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+751
    If it's any help to you this is what I see on a Windows 10 Pro machine:

upload_2018-5-20_19-56-6.png

There's nothing else on the page other than the usual sign up details at the bottom of the page.

;)

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. fixer

fixer Most Wanted

+370
  4. fixer

fixer Most Wanted

+370
  5. fixer

fixer Most Wanted

+370
    i dont know which route to take here, i want a database of embeded pdf files

as it is now i dont like the functionality, wont say how i got it to work because im not happy about it

kept messing with java embed scripts of pdf and was unsuccessful

6. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,307
    It works on my Windows 7 machine in a chromium fork and in a firefox fork.

Not surprised you're having trouble with this honestly. Are you opposed to converting the documents to another format? I'd convert them over to HTML or one of the open book formats. PDF is a bit clunky to deal with. Alternatively just offer PDF downloads and make the user use his own reader. Also, you could look into using iframes instead of javascript. As much as I hate google you could piggy-back off their PDF service and embed that with an iframe. Just make sure to keep backups incase they decide to get rid of gun related information like they have with youtube.

What javascript viewers are you trying to use/modify?

7. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,307
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  8. fixer

fixer Most Wanted

+370
    i ran across the mozilla one , it seems to be a better option because it supports safari

configuiring the ips editor button tool to use the mozilla script to embed pdf’s is not easy for me

i have a lot of the pdf files already on the server as i had them embeded with xenforo

9. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,307
    I'm not an IPS expert so I can't help you much without looking but it shouldn't be too hard to modify it and make it work. The one from Mozilla is supposed to work in all major browsers so it's probably the way to go if you absolutely need this feature.

10. fixer

fixer Most Wanted

+370
    what im finding is im having to enable html to get them to work

11. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,307
    You shouldn't have to do this. It implies you are allowing them inside of posts/user created content. The solution is you'll probably have to make a new bbcode for embedding pdfs.

12. fixer

fixer Most Wanted

+370
    I got the moziila PDF.js to work

https://www.mymilitia.com/intel/skill-books/field-craft-r11/

13. fixer

fixer Most Wanted

+370
    and its SEO friendly

14. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,307
    How'd you end up implementing it?

15. fixer

fixer Most Wanted

+370
    https://www.mymilitia.com/intel/

Im using the mozilla PDF.js , Uploading the PDF files manually via FTP, Built a custom (admin only) PDF Button on the editor ...

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 8.57.04 PM.png

Then all i have to do is click the button and put the file name, the pdf's embed in a SEO friendly way and should show on search engines, nothing can change later and screw it up.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  16. fixer

fixer Most Wanted

+370
    and supports mobile

42A127F2-88CA-4212-9FC5-5387B861A16F.png

17. fixer

fixer Most Wanted

+370
    Download the stable version - https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js/releases/download/v1.9.426/pdfjs-1.9.426-dist.zip

Upload via FTP

Place all your PDF files in the following directory... /pdfjs/web/

Create a custom editor button , Block type , Turn on use option , permission set to admin only

HTML...

Code:
    <p>
       <iframe height="800px" scrolling="auto" src="https://www.YOURSITE.com/pdfjs/web/viewer.html?file={option}" width="100%">PDF File Embeded</iframe>
    </p>
    edit YOURSITE

you will then be able to click the PDF icon in your editor and paste just the file name ie... yourpdffile.pdf

and it will embed , works on all browsers and platforms even mobile , and is SEO friendly and will index in search engines as it embeds as text a bot can read unlike 3rd party embeds

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.