Need a new host - anyone who can help me

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by MCA, Oct 9, 2018.

1. MCA

MCA Participant

+6
    I am unhappy with Namecheap as a host. I need a new host with daily backups and good support. Shared hosting is OK, using about 1 GB disk space for everything. The $10 range is fine. Site is on XF 1.5. Any help?

2. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+487
    Hi MCA!
    We just recently left our hoster of about 8 years, MDDHosting. They'd had a huge drop of service for five days, and, even for a reputable company like that, all there backups failed one after another after another till coming down to the last one that missed the corruption.
    All this to say is, my friend Schot who builds websites uses NameCheap almost exclusively for their hosting as he has found their service to be fair, no attitude, and the prices are awesome (at least for us :))
    Is there specifics that you can name that was an issue for you at Name Cheap? We currently running both hosting at name cheap and MDDHosting, and we are comparing response times, speed, uploads downloads, etc ...
    I am concerned now after what you posted, is there anything that you can share?
    Thank you, and also really glad you found your way over to this amazing site AdminZone...
    as we say... welcome to Taz!
    :)

gogo

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,539
    Don't know why but phpBB had an issue when guests tried to quote another post over there of if a post had a " anywhere in it it would time out. It did not do this for logged in users, only for guest posts. Have a feeling it was a combination of phpBB and their hosting setup combined.
    I messed with it a while but since I had no desire to use phpBB I quit trying to figure out what the issue was. I know that the issue was not present on my VPS that I have nor on another temporary shared hosting account that I obtained for testing.

• List
  4. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+946
    Also interested in the issues you experienced with Namecheap?

You mention needing support and backups... I've used their shared for years now, and actually consider their support a selling point.

Only needed their backup once, but was able to retrieve and use it without issue.

I actually have no other recommendations since I've used Namecheap for so long :p

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. o-o

o-o Aspirant

+4
    I use strato services since years and I am really happy with them; they are cheap and offer good services. Try to take a look if you wish.

• List
  6. Oldcrow

Oldcrow Enthusiast

+35
    • List
  7. MCA

MCA Participant

+6
    Sorry for the delay.

Here's what happened with NC. I have a forum with 15,000 members and over 100,000 visits plus per day. I was actually on the cheapest shared plan they have, Stellar with a dedicated IP. I was having no issues other than an occasional error on an add on that they whitelisted for me. Everything was fine but I had enough donations to upgrade my plan. Why upgrade when everything was fine you ask? Cause I went up to the Stellar Business for the sole reason to get more frequent backups. I would hate to have to use a 3 to 5 day old backup. That would be really bad. So I upgraded.That's when everything got messed up.

First, they did in the middle of the night as I asked them to since there would be 'slight down time'. Well they messed up some settings so I ended up being down for 12 hours. Eight while I slept and 4 for customer service reply and solution. Fair enough, everybody makes mistakes. Then everybody kept getting logged off with either a 'timed out' or 'site not found'. Then random members couldn't post, I was getting "disk full' errors and all kinds of various error messages. I was using 11 GB of 20GB which was at that point upped to 50 GB. This went on for days. The customer service went to crap. All they kept telling me was my site was so busy, I needed to upgrade to the VPS Quasar package. They couldn't explain the errors and never answered why it worked fine on the cheapest plan but was a mess upgrading. So I talked to my staff and we had 2 choices - upgrade or take a chance and go back to the older 'Less Better' plan. I chose to down grade and go back to the cheapest basic Stellar plan. After that, just a minor initial hick ups and my site was, and is running smooth again. They can't/won't explain it but it's fact.

So now I'm trying to find an external solution for a daily back up. I was thinking of trying Code Guard. I'll start another thread about if anybody else uses it.

Bottom line is I'm still with NC but they/I had some serious issues as to what really happened.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  8. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+487

wow!
    A hundred k visits per day on name cheap's least expensive package... and no problems except that you wanted more backups for security.
    That's an incredible value +++
    What is the pricing on that package that you're on from from Name Cheap please do you have a link to it?
    I'd like to see if it's the same as ours which is exceptional for the pricing compared to MDDhosting.
    Also... are you okay to share a link to your site or can I pm you if that's okay?
    Thanks!
    :0

gogo

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.