Nazi images in signature - "Freedom of Speech"?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Kat9119, May 29, 2007.

1. USPO_Crystal

USPO_Crystal Dictating Queen

+1
    I have a politics forum and even we have guidelines for such signatures.

I can't think of anyone who has ever had a nazi sig. I know we've had some issues with some avatars. We received a lot of complaints when someone had an avatar of Calvin peeing on the Canadian flag and more recently we had complaints when someone had a pierced nipple as their avatar - couldn't even tell if it was male or female, but the masses didn't like it. People even complian about the Confederate flag, but not to the extent that they want it removed.

2. strat0

strat0 Neophyte

+0
    Crystal is right - it's just too inflammatory, even today. I've even had people bristle over adjective-nazi, such as "Soup Nazi" or "Board Nazi." And yes, I haven't appreciated being called the latter! :didi:

Btw Crystal, stick to your guns about the Stars and Bars. For most who would display it, it's about heritage, note hate.

3. annakey

annakey Charter? What Charter?

+29
    :lol:

4. zefer

zefer Neophyte

+0
    Even if he doesn't get banned for posting the images, he should get banned for ignoring a direct order.

5. BaAaZoOoKaAa

BaAaZoOoKaAa Neophyte

+0
    We did a research project on this in school, and everything you said is true. Except, the Nazi sign is backwards. Hitler was rejected from turning into a Hindu because they believed he was a very evil person. He then turned the sign into the exact opposite.
    (Anyway, this is what our teacher said. I might be wrong.)

6. Kat9119

Kat9119 Aspirant

+0
    Wow, I was shocked to find in my email that people were still replying to this one.

Here's an update: after I opened the topic up for debate and everyone went off about how the member was horrible for posting those kind of images, I locked the topic and we all moved on

The guy didn't post again until today...and it was nothing major. If it comes up again I will be putting out Bans...at the time we had nothing in our rules for this sort of thing, thus the reasoning for coming here...and my major competitor forum would ban left and right for the lamest reasons, and I didn't/don't want to end up like them.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions.

Kat

7. Morganna

Morganna Mistress of Mayhem

+4,501
    The Nazi sign isn't backwards, the Swastika is reversable and used both right-facing and left-facing :)

8. Hazel

Hazel Forum Fanatic

+9
    Ah, the irony of someone claiming that "freedom of speech" allows them to put a Swastika in their signature.

9. Hangman

Hangman Moderator

+157
    If you don't want anymore hassle, or the member, ban him. He's obviously some little troll with nothing better to do that disrupt, and make a victim of himself.

I think the greatest error you made was that "discussion" you had over the PM system, who cares what he thinks?

Do what you want to do, as long is there is good reason (which there is), if anybody doesn't like it, they can take a long walk off a short pier and find a more immature, and even neo-nazi forum to play in.

Your forum, your rules. Screw what anyone who should be at the recieving end thinks - doing that makes you (and appear) a weak administrator.

Hope this helps :)

10. Kat9119

Kat9119 Aspirant

+0
    Well he came back yesterday as I said, and didn't pose a problem.

Today he has a different white power avatar, and his signture states "Educate Yourselves; The Holocaust Never Happened." Needless to say, he's been banned. Just hope it sticks, as his IP seems to change a lot but I don't think its dial up.

Actually, he's been a member here for years and never posed a problem before

11. PneumaticMuffin

PneumaticMuffin Aspirant

+1
    well never know the full depts of the story. theres enough to say that there are places to discuss the issues and places to shut it up

12. orchdork

orchdork Aspirant

+0
    well its great that you came to the desision. if i had an issue liek that i would have IP banned right away. well more like after warning 1

13. BaAaZoOoKaAa

BaAaZoOoKaAa Neophyte

+0
    Cool. I didn't think it would become such a big problem either.

14. Stoosh

Stoosh Adherent

+0
    Freedom of speech does not apply when they accept a T&C on registration

Simply add a extra section in your T&C saying,

or something along those lines

15. Ted S

Ted S Tazmanian Master

+22
    Your forum is just that... yours. If someone is violating your TOS or just harming your site, remove them -- freedom of speech doesn't apply to a private business like that. You want to be seen as fair but at the end of the day, you need to keep your community running within the parameters you envisioned it to be. So unless the name of the game is anything goes, your rules, your house.

16. Honeymooner

Honeymooner Neophyte

+0
    I agree with this completely. He had the freedom of speech on your private board within the parameters YOU decide, not him.

How to deal with people like that.

First you're nice.

Then you're not so nice.

Then you give him an ultimatum.

Then you ban him.

That's how I try to operate anyway.

17. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Admin

+1,824
    Yeah, if your host forbids hate speech, you're pretty much required to remove/ban, no matter your opinion, unless your host is a free speech host, his argument has no support, and even if it were a free speech host, he'd have EXTREMELY weak support (In a legal sense, not common sense), free speech can't override ToS unless of course, you're willing to get shut down... which I don't even think is in question that you DON'T want, especially not over this one kid.

18. Rohit

Rohit Aspirant

+0
    A friend of a friend once said,
    Tell this to the person the next time he claims the right to free speech. :)

19. raven1083

raven1083 Neophyte

+0
    i think you should ban him

20. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Admin

+1,824
    Already said he did.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted