NameCheap now provide free WhoisGuard Privacy Protection

Discussion in 'Domains and SSL Certificates' started by baona119, May 30, 2018.

1. baona119

baona119 Participant

+33
    It surprised me today when I read news from email that NameCheap WhoisGuard Privacy Protection is now free - forever.

Maybe charging $2.88 a year do not bring well profit anymore so they decide to make a move to attract more customers, like myself.

https://www.namecheap.com/security/whoisguard.aspx

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+597
    I suspect GDPR is related, as WHOIS is somewhat incompatible with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,030
    My thought as well. The timing is off, especially when Namecheap has bigger issues tarnishing its services.

4. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+448
    I don't use Namecheap but I'm curious about this comment: What are those bigger issues?

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 2
    • List
  5. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+732
    I always buy multiple years in advance, not just with domain but whois protection (I've had too many that want to dox me and make my life a living hell that I needed this). I hope they will convert what I paid the advance towards renewing my domain.

6. KnownHost

KnownHost Sponsor

+60
    At least this is much better than what ENom did, they changed the registration details to a random set of data. You can't even transfer the domains to a new registrar with email verification because the email bounces. :-/

7. vbgamer45

vbgamer45 Enthusiast

+55
    It's going to be interesting with transferring domains/SSL

8. Rrich

Rrich Aspirant

+8
    Yeah I got the same email from them. :ninja:

9. esquire

esquire Habitué

+612
    If you're trying to manage more than a handful of domains with them, it can be a horror show. Their tools aren't set up to handle it and even simple management and notification is pitiful.

10. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+26
    Um. No it isn't. The quota quote new system is using the same system they've been doing since the old design. Every Whoisguard has a license. That license has expiry date, so when they say "forever," that means whoisguard's expiry date is infinite. Each "license" is tied to the domain, regardless of expiry.

In the early days, when your Whoisguard expires, that "license" goes away. So, when you buy a new one, that's a new "license."

So, if you want to change your whoisguard to another domain, it's fine. No strings attached. It's just going to be tied to the domain for the duration set. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.