MySql OPtimizing

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by THM, May 9, 2018.

1. THM

THM Aspirant

+6
    My server began running very slow. I was told the cause was the need to optimize the MySQL.

I have no idea how to do that of course.

Does anyone know how to do this, if it requires only a professional developer or if it is something I could learn by reading and doing?

2. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+281
    That's probably not the reason.

You can do it via phpMyAdmin. Or from the AdminCP, depending on what forum software you use: are you using vBulletin?

3. Pete

Pete Developer

+370
    Depending on the server configuration, optimising may even be a bad idea. Also, is this a managed hosting or unmanaged hosting? (If the former, why aren't they doing that kind of thing?)

4. THM

THM Aspirant

+6
    It is a dedicated server from Knownhost.
    I am using Xenforo 2 software 2.0.5

5. baona119

baona119 Participant

+18
    You should provide more detail. "My server are running slow" won't help. What do you mean by "slow", which things are slow?

Also why do you choose an unmanaged dedicated server if you cannot manage it?

Edit: I've visited https://www.knownhost.com/ and they only offer managed server. So you'd better submit a ticket to ask them.

6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,548
    If you know how, post a copy of your /etc/my.conf (or it may be in /etc/my.cnf.d/server.conf) file here. Post up the server specs as well, including database site, amount of RAM, etc.

7. baona119

baona119 Participant

+18
    Just ask them though

8. Pete

Pete Developer

+370
    Is it managed or unmanaged? As in, do you pay them to look after configuration for you?

9. Karll

Karll Adherent

+114
    Professional developer?! Bah. What you want is a database administrator! :)

But yeah, it sounds like you have a managed hosting solution, so as others have already said, you should contact your host first and ask them to help.

10. KnownHost

KnownHost Sponsor

+33
    Howdy, if you can provide me a ticket number I'll take a peek at your server. Running slowly can be caused by a lot of various reasons. Xenforo is usually pretty good about being optimized but there could be various reasons for it running slower including lack of memory, number of queries etc.

I'll gladly take a peek and see if we can't provide you more insight.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted