MyBBWebhost.com vs. better host?

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by Starion, Sep 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yes - They're great!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes - okay, but could be better (explained below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No - reason stated below

100.0%
  4. Not sure - recommend other host (posted below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Starion

Starion Aspirant

+4
    I'm starting my first forum & deciding to go with MyBB after reading up a lot. I've used phpBB, VBulletin, and a few others as a member; never as a mod or more, making a helpful host worth a few extra bucks.

1) What's your experience with myBBWebhost.com hosting? I found very few reviews mentioning them, even here on TAZ. :help:

2) What's the word on these guys? Seem smaller & brag about myBB niche. Are you still using them? If not, why?

3) Experience any bandwidth limits? I'm not a fan of seeing the sleazy salesman "Unlimited" proclamations, as we all know that's never true. They're a bit more pricey than others, but worth it IF they give great assistance, security, & reliability, etc.

4) I'm open to other suggestions also. Willing to pay a bit/month & planning for ceiling of 25k users, but aware it'll take a while to get there. Looking to start on lower plan with capacity to upgrade once rolling along.

Please correct my if I'm off base with anything. Thanks in advance. :tup:
    :cheers:

2. Starion

Starion Aspirant

+4
  3. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,105
    I'd advise against this webhost on a purely pragmatic basis. The software stack it advertises appears outdated by today's standards, and tuning it to accomodate MyBB may be little more than a cost control move with physical machines.

Consider that its own website is not even SSL-secured. This is a massive red flag that the software stack may not be maintained very well or kept to modern standards (PHP5 is really old now - any cloudlinux deployment offers switching up to php 7.2 with a simple selection). IMO any webhost whose website does not use SSL should be avoided with no further discussion of the potential benefits they offer over the competition.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. Starion

Starion Aspirant

+4
    Agreed & thanks for pointing that out.

They might have been one of the hosts that charges a few extra bucks for SSL. I've seen that kind've "nickel & dime" a few places. It's a crappy way to do business IMO for something that should be standard. Thanks again.

Consider this thread is dead now. Forget these guys.

ai.imgur.com_jJmiG2h.gif

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.