MyBB still viable option?

Discussion in 'MyBB' started by JayCeeS, Jan 22, 2016.

1. BeyBrad

BeyBrad Adherent

+124
    That all sounds so awesome, can't wait to see it!

2. euantor

euantor MyBB Lead Developer

+407
    This is unfortunately a problem that all of us seem to be facing. I think part of it is because forums themselves are generally slowing down a lot with the rise of social media and such. Obviously fewer users leads to fewer potential developers becoming interested, which slows down development, which slows down the implementation of new ideas that could help draw more users back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,062
    Yeah, I do understand the reason behind why it's likely happening.

4. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+437
    Chiming in again to say that I've missed how great MyBB's template system is. I've been putting in a lot of time into it over the past couple of days and MyBB is still one of the easiest forum solutions to customize that I've used; of which I've tried at least 6-7 different forum software.

I doubt I'll upgrade this 1.8 installation that I'm working on when 2.0 is out, but I'm still looking forward to 2.0 if I ever launch another site. From what little I've seen, euantoreuantor is putting in work. I'll probably set something up on 2.0 just because I want to try PHP 7.0 on a server.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. andrew3d

andrew3d Aspirant

+12
    It is viable. I have used and run xenforo, burning board, phpbb, and have installed a others to check out.

I am currently setting up a new forum. Guess what software I chose? Yes, MYBB.
    Just need to get a suitable theme and logo, and we're going to do good.
    It is viable for the future too, as long as the lead developer stays with it. :D

6. Nasyr

Nasyr Aspirant

+9
    I personally have a licence to IPB, vBulletin and XenForo. I always use MyBB it's open source and you can edit till your hands are sore. I mean there is no restrictions on what you can and cannot do. Plugin development as well is easy enough.

7. Ash

Ash Participant

+20
    myBB is probably the best choice if you are looking at getting a free forum software. Of course, it's not the best when you compare it to paid alternatives like XenForo or even IPB but myBB is definitely still a viable option.

8. Jason76

Jason76 Aspirant

+8
    MyBB can be bad for some oddball themes. For instance, I have one that is very attractive, but it simply won't work with MyAlerts. In that case, I'm going to have a XenForo theme designed that looks like the MyBB one. But I could just have the MyAlerts fixed.

9. ZiggyM

ZiggyM Happy 2014!

+3
    Well, it depends, really, on your needs and those of your community. Does it suit your needs, good! Does it not, fine, find something else.

It's definitely lacking in a few areas, when you consider current feature standards for forums. Its biggest problem right now, though, is the lack of proper responsiveness out of the box (in terms of the stock theme). An upgrade is needed to bring the platform into the present, and the developers know it, which is why a new version of the software is in the works to further bridge the gap between 1.x and 2.0. Basically, the idea is to gradually bump 1.8 up to (more) current standards, over a series of major upgrades. The most important upgrade comes first in 1.9, in the form of a brand new, modern, and fully responsive default theme, as well as SASS support and Twig as the new templating engine. Then, in 1.10 and subsequent releases, they will be be modernizing parts of the core as well as adding modern features like alerts, mentions, and a modern conversation system (with two or more users being able to participate in private conversations). When this is all said and done, MyBB will be relevant again - dare I say, even on par with paid solutions.

Frankly, a responsive theme, and features like alerts and stuff, should have been a part of 1.8 when it was released in 2014. Better late than never, I guess. In the developers' defence, though, 1.8 was never meant to run this long; 2.0 was supposed to be here, by now, but unfortunately that didn't work out as planned. Looking forward to 1.9 and then 1.1x.

All in all, though, I feel 1.8 is still a pretty decent forum package, though not top of the line; but, as I said, that will be addressed and taken care of in the next set of ugrades, starting with 1.9, due sometime in the first half of this year.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  10. Jason76

Jason76 Aspirant

+8
    Some update here. The MyAlerts has been mostly fixed. Anyway, I don't really think there is a major problem with MyBB, but I think adjusting it for various things is going to be more difficult - considering it's free software.

11. ZiggyM

ZiggyM Happy 2014!

+3
    MyBB is actually pretty easy to customize/extend, for the most part.

On certain themes not working with certain addons. It's not just MyBB, really. Some addons inject bits of code into certain templates, and those addons are really made with the default/stock theme in mind; so if you have a custom theme (or rather any theme other than the default theme) that is coded differently/uses a different html structure than the default theme, then naturally those addons that add code to templates may not work properly, if at all.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  12. Jericho

Jericho Aspirant

+3
    Funny you should say, I prefer mybb over most forum software. It does everything you need, if it doesn't a plugin will sort that out for you.

13. stijl

stijl Aspirant

+4
    MyBB is a great option for a lot of people but echoing other comments they need to get aggressive with serious core updates like mobile friendly responsive “out of the box” and expanded admin area for customization and member/registration control.

14. Starion

Starion Aspirant

+4
    Old thread here mostly, until the last few generic supportive comments. As a NEWB to forums, I'm all but convinced to start mine with MyBB. I do have some specific requirements:
    • would like to be able to move a few content areas around (delete a few) from the main page (the recent posts, etc. on the right column)
    • create additional fields for USR profiles,
    • change some font sizes here & there

I assume that current MyBB allows this? Level of modifications needed to do these? (I'm NOT a coder)

I agree that keeping true to base theme would be more conducive to plugins actually working while striking the right balance. Is MyBB still my best bet?

15. stijl

stijl Aspirant

+4
    I believe your needs can be met with MyBB but editing content fields may take some code editing.

MyBB is a great way to wade into community forums and looks great out of the box.

16. AHB

AHB Neophyte

+0
    Not doubt MyBB is one of the best free forum software. I am using for the past two years on my forum and it is very easy to manage plus its support community is very active. They answer right away.

17. palhanow

palhanow Participant

+71

With some years of experience on MyBB i can reply to you:

- Yes. You can move threads around the Forum. MyBB offers the most complete features for management and the Admin CP is awesome (better than XF imho);

- You can create additional fields for Profiles (and apply conditionals if I'm not mistaken);

- The changing of font sizes here and there is possible, but you need some very basic coding skills. Basically, see the sourcecode of the page, find in the "Dev Inspector" of your browser and change it manually (global.css if I'm not mistaken). Very easy stuff, like change the size from 2 to 4.

I did recommend that you buy some theme (the default one is very ugly and 'poor') from a trusted developer. WallBB is a famous guy and imho is the best theme developer there.

And yes, MyBB is a solid platform and is the most complete of the free systems. Have Premium features and a lot of plugins to extend your Forum. BUT, you will have to have some patience. Since is free and opensource, sometimes the things broke and you have to go after the fix in their official Community. The people there is fantastic and they do most everything to help you.

Don't forget to make backups before each update. I don't know about the state of the development right now (i moved to XF 5 months ago), but in my old times i had a lot of issues in upgrades, breaking plugins and themes, etc.

Good lucky.

(Sorry about my bad english, I'm from Brazil)

18. John H20

John H20 Aspirant

+1
    MyBB sounds like a great way to start if you've never hosted a forum before, but does this one enable you to monetize? For instance, can you:

1. Have ads added to people's posts/comments and other parts of the site?
    2. Have affiliate links and banners added to people's posts/comments if you don't want to use ads?
    3. Use VigLinks?

"Free" sounds great, but not if I can't start trying to monetize right away vs. having to move to other software.

And most importantly, can you do all this through features already built into the forum management GUI vs. having to do some kind of coding?

For instance, my understanding is that XF would enable some or all of this to be set in the management interface. I've certainly seen such advertising in action on an XF based forum. I would think IPS does too.

What about possible migration later? I know XF does that from MyBB to XF. Does IPS also do that (I would think so)? Does the process for both work well or is there usually some trouble or loss migrating from MyBB?

Thanks.

19. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+615
    I personally like phpBB, been using it since way back when, and it's fairly easy to customize now days, lots of free addons, themes and the like, but that's just me, I could never get a taste for MYBB, try a few and decide what works, but give it some time, you'll know which works best for your (her) needs.

20. John H20

John H20 Aspirant

+1
    Can they both be monetized in the ways I want to do that though? Basically I just want to be able to do what I've seen on some XF forums which to the best of my knowledge is mostly done with standard features already in place instead of custom jobs.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.