MyBB days are over ?

Discussion in 'MyBB' started by Dilip, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Oldcrow

Oldcrow Enthusiast

+35
    Geoff is always doing something.. Sometimes the board is gone, then it'll come back..

Seems like a nice board, from posting, never looked inside..

2. AllanD

AllanD Habitué

+164
    Alot of great SMF help and other things, I have been a member there for years.

3. Azareal

Azareal The AtomBB Overlord

+471
    v1.8 was honestly.. Rushed.

They installed it on mybb.com one day and then, they launched it in a short timeframe afterwards. You'd think that they'd run it on mybb.com for quite a number of months to find the bugs. Did I mention how there are currently 58 open confirmed bugs for MyBB v1.8.1 on Github?

Their migrator doesn't even support v1.8 yet.

4. Andrew B.

Andrew B. Fan

+133
    I asked a lot of newbee questions when I was styling my first MyBB, and I was surprised by how much help I got. Much more than any other forum software I've used.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  5. enhu

enhu Enthusiast

+0
    I still believe mybb is one of the best and easy to customize. I just wait till 2.0 will be available. There are more to this package once its done. I've read about the updates and there are good reason to wait for it.

I bet some of those that shift to xenforo might shift back lol.

6. Shawn G

Shawn G Tazmanian Addict

+232
    I doubt it.. After paying for a software, it wouldn't be in someone's best interest to migrate to something free erm, unless they are on vb lol

7. Azareal

+471
    I can only see that happening if a free software for one surpasses a paid software by a massive margin and this won't happen without massive backing or money being poured into it. I remember hearing on MyBB.com before about how MyBB 1.8 development was basically a one man show for a very very long time.

People really do overestimate the resources which free forum software have.
    With many of these free forum software, the original founders have left or they're practically almost never there.

As for MyBB 2.0 in particular, they've been hyping it up since 2008. It's so overhyped that it will almost certainly fail to meet expectations.
    If MyBB had millions of dollars in funding then, I might say that MyBB 2.0 might deliver.
    And so, MyBB 2.0 descended down from the Heavens and it's power was unrivalled by any force on this planet.

8. emanuele

emanuele Bugs Developer

+200
    hmm... I'd say that people really do overestimate the resources which free software have (without "forum").
    Projects that "keep up" are those that attract money (or better companies that do money with them), think about WordPress, Firefox (before google decided to start working on Chrome), OpenOffice/LibreOffice.
    Free it's wonderful, but it is not enough to last forever. ;)

Well, with millions of (US :p) dollars, almost any software could become like this.
    Probably 50/100 thousands would though be enough to feed a full-time developer for a year, considering I seem to remember XF 1.0 was developed in about 2 years, that would mean a couple of hundred thousands would be in most cases enough to delivery a (good) forum build from scratch (of course provided you know what you are doing).

9. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,800
    As Danielx64 points out ... MyBB's good reputation has been tarnished with the release of 1.8 and the security issues.

Are things getting better ?

10. Azareal

+471
    I forgot about this AAF topic.

I doubt that it'll get much worse. They probably could pull themselves out of this hole, but it's going to take quite a while to win the trust back from the admin community. As for their long term sustainability? My guess is as good as any.

11. Hostname.club

Hostname.club Aspirant

+4
    There is nothing better. I'm working with Vietnamese MyBB since 2 years ago and now our community is not update anymore.

12. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Na, don't agree with that one. If you're running forums that never seem to get anywhere, why carry on paying to run more (buying commercial forum software) doing same thing - which is common place for many people running forums now due to decline in them. You might as well go with one of the free choices if happy enough with it and stop wasting money.

Remember it's not only buying the forum software, but also paying still to get latest updates for it yearly.

13. euantor

euantor MyBB Lead Developer

+407
    I know this is quite an old post/thread, but I wanted to explain something quickly. A lot of the current staff members and users are actually foreign. We have a couple of German staff members, a couple of staff members from the UK, and a few from the US. We also have staff members from Australia and elsewhere all around the world. Sometimes when it may seem like a staff member is being curt or rude, it may well be that English is their second (or in some cases, third) language. I know that if I were speaking in a language other than English, I would likely come off as rude too.

14. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Old Guy

+175
    As long as Hack Forums exists, MyBB will too, the way I see it.

15. Azareal

+471
    I thought that a forum about hacking would be more worried about security due to people being much more likely to try to hack it?

16. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Old Guy

+175
    The owner, Jesse, is an incredible PHP developer himself. His copy of MyBB is so unlike MyBB that it could be something else. BUT, at the end of the day, it's still MyBB.

17. Azareal

+471
    If it's so unlike MyBB then, it's more of a fork than MyBB. I don't exactly go around referring to Wedge and ElkArte as SMF.

18. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Old Guy

+175
    It's not really a fork. He has simply made his own improvements. He's not distributing it or anything.

19. euantor

euantor MyBB Lead Developer

+407
    Jesse has taken MyBB and added a heck of custom code on top. I wouldn't call it a fork either, but he's definitely made it his own and usually tends to dread upgrades ;)

20. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Old Guy

+175
    No kidding. Wonder what profanity he will use when 2.0 is out. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.