[MyBB]Can't combat spam.

Discussion in 'Site Security & Legal Issues' started by shawnhartwell, Oct 11, 2013.

1. shawnhartwell

shawnhartwell Habitué

+23
    I've never had a problem with forum spam when I've used MyBB before. The community is not even open to the public yet(you can get to it and register if you know the url,) and I'm already getting new spammers everyday.

I've tried Akismet as well as Recaptcha. Nothing.
    Installed security questions on registration. Nothing.

I'm at witts end if I'm going to be having a public beta in the next few weeks. Do you think someone could come take a look via the ACP and see what the problem might be or suggest something. I need help as badly as I don't want to admit it :p

2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,030
    Change those unique questions and answers as soon as they are solved by the bots.

Combinations of words such as "colour, sky, blue", "three, +, plus, five, eight" are already in the spammers database.

3. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+229
    For some reason mybb forums are vulnerable to spambots, no idea why this happens but I do notice submitting your mybb URL to Google/yahoo will bring a huge number of spammers over, you'd better know how to deal with them before you get started on a mybb forum.

4. shawnhartwell

shawnhartwell Habitué

+23
    The strange thing is I've ran MyBB forums before with minimal problems. I've changed the question to something uncommon, and I've removed the "Powered By" link with an image-link. That is one big factor I've heard of.

5. Warwick

Warwick Enthusiast

+25
    Try KeyCaptcha. That stopped all the spammers on my forums.

6. Mythico

Mythico Aspirant

+0
    I have a similar problem, but I don't want to cause an inconvenience to my user base when making accounts but may be worth it in the end. I have been lucky that they always post in my of review section which require mod approval to be posted but I do still have to edit and ban accounts which is a pain.

I wonder if there is any plugins out there that automatically does it based on the content or spam posts. I thought I heard of one before but forget the name

7. shawnhartwell

shawnhartwell Habitué

+23
    Spamalyser. It doesn't seem to work for me at all. This is why I'd much rather have an expert come look at my ACP. It's quite a mess with unused plugins that I'm not sure how to remove the entries for, but honestly, I've deployed all the recommended methods and no dice.

Never have I had this problem and I've already spent a fair sum to have MyBB designs completed. I can't convert to another software now. If I were to convert it would be to the developmental NodeBB, but I don't want to use that until I start developing for it.

8. bucket

bucket badge consultant

+189
    are these bots or human spammers?

9. shawnhartwell

shawnhartwell Habitué

+23
    I'm not sure. I would assume their bots, but if they're human what can I do?

I've never encountered human spammrs before.

10. Cre8tin

Cre8tin Aspirant

+0
    KeyCaptcha blocks humans more than spambots

KeyCaptcha is easy to pass for bots:
    http://intsystem.org/448/vzlom-keycaptcha

To masquerade this, KeyCaptcha engages black listing and user behavior tracking, so blocking most vistors and potential users for the sake of providing advertising platform:
    as well as forcing users in futile activities unnecessary except for providing for advertisers a platform for unwarranted by end users commercials

11. Jack_Rouse

Jack_Rouse Use The Force

+162
    VB has the best spam stopper I've ever seen, it works on the 20second rule.

It's assumes that a human will take longer that 20secs to complete the registration process, so anything that completes it in less time is considered a spam bot, it also stops human spammers who tend to use an autofill program for completing common fields.

For a change the MOD is well supported as well.

As for Spam on MyBB,I'm afraid you have to learn to live with it.

12. shawnhartwell

shawnhartwell Habitué

+23
    I saw a plugin like that as well but I think I had problems with it. Anyone know the method in MyBB to block lists of countries? That should curb much of the spam.

13. Jack_Rouse

Jack_Rouse Use The Force

+162

You don't need a MOD to so that, you can do it through your C panel in the IP deny manager.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.