MyBB 1.9 Editor Discussion Poll

Discussion in 'MyBB' started by kawaii, Jun 5, 2019.

1. kawaii

kawaii Developer

+6
    Hello!

Over at the MyBB Community forums we're having a discussion (with poll) regarding the editor to use in our upcoming 1.9 release. I just wanted to draw attention from any MyBB users here at TAZ if you'd be interested in joining the debate. :)

https://community.mybb.com/thread-223264.html

Thank you!

2. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Adherent

+279
    I don't own a MyBB forum, so I can't/shouldn't vote.

However, whatever editor you guys choose, that one should be able to have copy/paste feature from the clipboard for images + drag and drop of attachments/images/videos.

I think these features are the most valuable features for any forum.

From an admin point of view being able to re-order the buttons is very essential.

3. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,162
    A complicated choise... Normally I'd go for Redactor, it's magnitudes cheaper to maintain and keep updated than people think. The whole mybb project deserves the efficiency and manpower optimizing its rough 25usd/month would secure. Worth accounting for that potential contributors may already be web professionals or looking to gain experience exploitable in a professional setting.

As for the other options, idk the landscape has changed since. Scripts that depend on remotedly hosted libraries should be considered a potential risk difficult to audit. Lightweight editors may do so by breaking compatibility with airgapped intranets, local servers and viability in the chinese mainland. An editor's entire code should be possible to bundle and not require connecting to any other site, wether for fetching ressources or authentication (froala - to prevent unlicenced use not paid for?).

I noticed CKeditor wasnt taken inyo consideration, so I'll suggest giving v5 a good look since its not as bloated anymore. If generic builds wont do, CK5 Framework gives the flexibility to generate a deeply customized editor. CK5 also includes longterm support until 2026, so compatibility-preserving updates could suit a project with low manpower.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  4. Lewis H

Lewis H Neophyte

+2
    I'd honestly recommend going with Redactor for this, I've put my thoughts in the thread on MyBB.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.