mybb 1.8

Discussion in 'MyBB' started by adbrad, Apr 5, 2012.

1. adbrad

adbrad Habitué

+19
  2. echo_off

echo_off Life is an illusion...

+89
    Saw this the other day, Looks good.

3. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. ............

+110
    lot of mybb announcements lately.

4. Roddy15

Roddy15 Aspirant

+2
    Just decided to make my forum go from forumotion to myBB. I'm already really impressed and these updates look good! Like the Admin CP style though the most.

5. xenLiam

xenLiam Adherent

+33
    Well, it was about time. Their default theme was so dated. Nice work for the entire team.

6. adbrad

adbrad Habitué

+19
    I believe the last theme update was 2008 and the apart theme set the new default is based on is very nice theme, I'm looking forward to the update.
    And the theme wasn't due to be redesigned until 2.0

7. Ryan Loos

Ryan Loos MyBB Liaison

+7
    Our current default theme style/colouring has been around since at least the 1.4 series, if not 1.2 or even 1.0.
    Being that it was based on the same design and colouring for so long, it certainly feels dated and although many administrators would not use a default theme, it becomes unattractive to new MyBB users.

We hope that with the range of new default theme colours available that administrators can get set up faster than before.
    I've been using the Apart and Afresh series ever since I can remember, and I much prefer the layout, it makes a lot more sense to me.

2.0 is still what I'm looking forward to, however. :D

8. mdoolittle

mdoolittle Grasshopper

+9
    nice.....i may have to giver IPB the boot, keep up the good work!

9. joey23art

joey23art Participant

+0
    I started using MyBB right after 1.4 came out. I remember the suspense waiting for 1.6 to go live on the 2 year anniversary. Can't wait for 1.8!

10. Websitepros123

Websitepros123 Aspirant

+1
  11. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,095
    And discoverability of freshly updated content (especially for unlogged guests) has still not been given any attention apparently. Such as with a 'today's new/updated content' displayed by default out of the box since enabled by default anyway (one can always add it but only to their forum, not forums they visit), or portal linking.

12. pavemen

pavemen Adherent

+21
    I think part of the argument is that many folks dont use the portal so to have it enabled by default is not a wanted feature. However a basic portal is supplied, as are portal settings in the ACP and the required templates as well. So they are not avoiding a portal, they just dont link to it in the menu by default.

The other issue of not having todays post option for guests is questionable to me as well.

13. PenguinPaul

PenguinPaul MyBB Community Team

+23
    I started an internal discussion on this :)

14. DTPGaming

DTPGaming Aspirant

+0
    can't wait to see it...

15. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman The Motormouth

+1,236
    The new theme looks good but the new logo looks a lot cheaper than the current one. Maybe if something was done with the "MyBB" part of it, it would look a lot better. The astronaut, well LOL I have no comment >_< But it would go good with PhpBB's space header image used on their forum :p

16. NovusAnima

NovusAnima Aspirant

+1
    I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the Trash Can feature. :)

17. Katana00

Katana00 Participant

+0
    I hope my theme works on 1.8...

18. PenguinPaul

PenguinPaul MyBB Community Team

+23
    All 1.6 themes should be compatible with 1.8 :)

19. Panupat

Panupat Habitué

+88
    is the official forum 1.8 yet?

20. Ryan Loos

Ryan Loos MyBB Liaison

+7
    No, we're still in development, not quite ready for beta or production use just yet!

I'm sure we'll announce either of those things when they do happen, however. :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted