My Turn - AMA

Discussion in 'Ask Me Anything' started by Joeychgo, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,376
    Ok, my turn - Ask me anything.

No guarantees I'll answer but -- :)

2. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+572
    didnt you have a monkey avatar?

3. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+945
    Would you have done anything differently with your own sites if you could have known, years in advance, the impact social media would have on forums?

If so, what?

4. Joeychgo

+3,376
    at one point, yes

5. Joeychgo

+3,376
    Not really, no. As far as I can tell, social media only significantly affected one of my sites. At the same time, it has helped others so, something of a wash. But my sites are unique in that the demographic doesn't like technology too much. (classic cars = older men)

6. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+181
    I don't know much of your background, so this may already be known among others here...

Have you started a forum from scratch that ultimately became revenue positive? If so, how long did it take, and do you still own it?

Your signature says you buy forums: how many do you have now (happy with numbers like 10-20 etc if you don't want to be specific)?

How many staff (volunteer and paid) do you have?

:)

7. Joeychgo

+3,376
    Yes, and I still own them. I've had a few fail also. Revenue positive is a pretty low standard, as costs when your getting started are pretty low. Took me about 6 months to start earning decent money. Not enough to live on back then but nothing to sneeze at either.

about a dozen people between paid and unpaid.

more then 10 is all I'll say.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  8. Apple

Apple Enthusiast

+82
    (This thread is way too serious!)

What two totally normal things become extremely weird if you do them back to back?

Which member of the forum would you most want to meet and why? ...least want to meet and why?

9. Joeychgo

+3,376
    I prefer it that way

I don't really have such preferences. (I have met several over the years) Any opportunity to discuss, exchange ideas and learn from someone else would be great

10. Jake

Jake Developer

+1,115
    Hypothetically have you ever strapped someone to cinderblocks and dropped them in Lake Michigan?

Better?

11. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+572
    Can you name 5 words that ryme with Orange?

12. Joeychgo

+3,376
    Just plugin developers

13. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,057
    JoeychgoJoeychgo

Have you ever met members from your forums in real life? If so, how did it go and would you do it again?

14. Joeychgo

+3,376
    Yes. Went great and yes would do it again.

15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,720
    I believe you migrated a number of forums from vBulletin to Xenforo. What was the reaction from your users and do you have any regrets?

16. Joeychgo

+3,376
    Yes, all my sites have been migrated over.

No regrets. Overall Xenforo was a good choice.

Reaction at first was mixed. Some members saw the benefits right away, others it took awhile. Mostly general dislike of change. I don't think anyone has complained they missed some feature the old software had. I went to great pains to get the most active members accustomed to the new software so they could help the others once the switch was made. Worked out well overall but was a lot of work.

17. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,453
    What forum that you no longer own do you miss the most? Which forum that you never owned and no longer visit do you miss the most?

18. Joeychgo

+3,376
    Can't think of any - maybe the vb site I had but only because back in the day it was so profitable

Again, can't really think of any. vb.org maybe?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.