My First Major XenForo Suggestion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Amaury, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Amaury

Amaury Habitué

+414
  2. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,523
    As for the status update issue - it's probably because TAZ is running the add-on that adds the favicon of the linked site to the link you post, making it bigger.

Awesome suggestion, and in line with what we had with vBulletin. I'd like to see this implemented with 2 tiers of permissioning - regular and extended viewing of user activity.

3. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,835
    Nicely written suggestion :). While I'm not saying it shouldn't be in XF but I guess my main thing is why? Like the help pages would it really be worth it to view if someone is viewing the smiley tab or the medals as opposed to just seeing Help.

I think a generic last seen can be useful and informational but I would never see a need to know detailed specifics on what a user is doing. Heck I'd even be ok if XF literally just had last activity, 3 hours ago, added details almost seems a little... stalker-like?

4. Amaury

Amaury Habitué

+414
    Thank you, Russ, for your feedback.

The thing is, that's, um, already possible now. For example, Amaury was last seen: Viewing thread My First Major XenForo Suggestion, A moment ago. That's pretty detailed. Same with forums and such. And no, I'm not a stalker.

Looking at it from an outside perspective instead of a personal perspective, I would still have Viewing help index instead of just Viewing help when viewing the main help page and then just Viewing help when viewing smilies, BB codes, etc.

That's why XenForo split the Show your online status option into two options in XenForo 1.4, adding a Show your current activity option, and that works exactly for what you say above. Me personally, I don't care if people see that I'm online nor do I care if they see the specific page I'm viewing, such as the forum list, the latest content, etc. However, for those who don't mind people seeing them online, but do mind people seeing the specific page they're viewing, then that's where the Show your current activity option comes into play.

5. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,835
    That's why I mentioned: . Heck I'd even be ok if XF literally just had last activity, as in like last seen today at 3:00PM or whatever. I know XF has certain details displaying, but I personally haven't an honest reason to know what a specific user is doing at that moment in time.

I usually turn my online status + current activity off at most sites, I've had problems in the past where someone thinks I'm ignoring them because they check my status and I'm viewing a thread and not responding to them so ya that got disabled real quick.

I still would love to see a valid reason for someone to know... exactly what someone else is doing at that moment in time. Heck it looks like even you have the option disabled on the official XF site :D.

6. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,523
    That's why I recommend a 2 tier permissions setting for this - one for members and one for staff basically.

7. Amaury

Amaury Habitué

+414
    Mike said a very similar thing in the thread he made. ;)

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/welcome-to-xenforo-1-4-more-assorted-improvements.79604/ "This can help deal with situations where people feel like they're being stalked around the forum. Personally, I've seen more than a few messages saying "OMG, Mike is viewing the Announcements forum! Half-Life 3 confirmed!" when I just went to check something. That said, I don't generally mind if people know when I'm around."

LOL, nope. I just hadn't had any activity since 1:07 PM (PDT), and the page I was viewing—or my session—cleared relatively quickly after an hour had passed.

Please forgive me, Howard, but I'm still confused by this. You said on XenForo it's similar to the Show current activity option, which would turn Amaury was last seen: Viewing forum a list, A moment ago to Amaury was last seen: A moment ago if disabled for those who don't have the ability to bypass user privacy, but not completely. Could you provide some examples? Maybe that'll clear it up.

8. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458
    Agreed

9. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    Agreed, sounds like almost borderline stalking.

10. Amaury

Amaury Habitué

+414
    You're acting like that's not possible now. Even with a generic, "User was last seen: A moment ago," that's still "stalkable."

If you truly don't want even the possibility of being stalked, go invisible.

11. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,835
    To be fair I already do on most sites :D, I still love would love to see a reason for just a regular forum member to see exactly what other users are doing every moment while they browse the site. I don't think it creates engagement and if it wasn't in the software I would be just as happy as having it set to offline.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.