Music Services

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by Steve, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Apple Music

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Google Music

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Amazon Music Unlimited

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Spotify

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  5. Pandora

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (Specify by posting)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,141
    Now that I have moved from using an iPhone to a Galaxy S10 (android) should I consider a different music service? I pay for the family plan on Apple Music which does well and I can still use it, however I feel maybe Google or even Amazon (Already prime member) may be a better option.

We do make use of our echo dots/Fire TV Cube/Amazon Alexa but I wasn't to thrilled by the Amazon music app and being able to use it offline.

What do you use?

2. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+710
    Didn't Apple just make a big announcement about new shows and services they're bringing?

3. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,141
    Not sure, will need to look I suppose.

4. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,099
    They where going to make that announcement and i think its this one https://www.apple.com/apple-events/march-2019/

5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,279
    I voted 'Other' which will be of little interest but I'll annoy you with the details at the end anyway :p

I have Amazon Prime and apart from taking a cursory look I've never used it because it appears to be play-list orientated, something I loathe. By coincidence I've just been given a three month free trial of Amazon's unlimited service so I'll be able to report back on that one once I've tried it. What is worth mentioning is it's quite affordable compared to Spotify (about 50% cheaper) if you are already a Prime customer.

The other options mentioned I've no real experience of so I can't comment on those.

My preference is my music collection of vinyl, tape and CDs all of which have been ripped and deposited in FLAC file format onto 14TB of storage, controlled by JRiver Media Center. I also convert everything to Apple's ALAC format so that I can use my iPhone to drive various Bluetooth devices. What I have found in recent years is there are lot of on-line outlets selling 2nd hand CDs for literally a few pennies/cents so I've managed to fill in a lot of gaps.

JRiver.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,141
    The benefit for me using Apple was sharing with 6 family members. Wife, kids and my dad can all do their own thing. Amazon does seem playlist oriented and not something I even use but rarely when I need to play the "clean" list :p

7. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+111
    I put "Other" since like Zappa I rip my CDs and other media I have to storage in both FLAC and MP3 (at 320) formats. The MP3s are for my DJ system's player which can't read the FLAC files, which I play off my computer on studio speakers. Tried a couple of free trials of streaming systems, but didn't care for them since they don't have a few songs I like to listen too.

8. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,415
    I use Spotify and YouTube Premium.

9. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,178
    I clung to physical media for too long.

I have hundreds and hundreds of CD's that are, frankly, pointless now. I did enjoy "having" them, but ripping all of that is a headache. Carrying them around is a headache. Swapping them in my car (even with a multi-disk changer) is a headache.

So after I got over the idea of having the physical copies, I bought digitally. Actually buying - not "subscribing". The problem is it wasn't reasonable to spend $hundreds per month.

So - now - I subscribe. My opinions:

Google Play Music (has Family subscriptions)
    • Pros: Best interface overall. Very user-friendly. Easiest to get into & listen quickly. Cool location/time/etc based suggestions (ie: "You're at work, try..." or "It's Friday night, how about..."). Got YouTube premium with it (not sure if still do).
    • Cons: Not as popular, so playlists/sharing is limited (people you share with want Spotify, and people sharing with you will likely send Spotify). AI for recommendations are sub-par.
    YouTube Music (has Family subscriptions)
    • Pros: Videos?
    • Cons: Everything else. When I still used YouTube Music, there was no differentiation between regular YouTube & YouTube Music. This means everything you liked, or listened to, or disliked, on EITHER Music or regular YouTube impacted the other. Kids listening to Disney? Hello Disney recommendations in YouTube Music. YouTube & YouTube Music serve vastly different purposes for me, and it was a nightmare when it was all mashed together.
    Amazon Music (not sure, never looked for Family subscription)
    • Pros: Cheap. I have Prime, so Music & whatever discounts were nice.
    • Cons: I primarily listen to heavy metal. Like, "really" heavy metal. It's not popular, so a few times Amazon didn't have something I wanted (it's been a couple years, so may have improved). Also - the Google Play cons. It's not popular, so sharing/playlists just doesn't exist. The AI recommendations are sub-par.
    Spotify Premium (has Family subscriptions)
    • Pros: Well, everything. I held out the longest before I tried Spotify, because I like to try things besides the #1.
    • The AI/recommendations are the best of any I've tried. And the way they give you multiple "Daily Mix" lists, and a "Discover Weekly" list for new things is just awesome.
    • The popularity also bleeds into the artists. Bands on tour often publish Spotify playlists of setlists or other things.
    Screenshot_20190327-090136.jpg

One other thing to consider (that all the above should satisfy) is podcasts. I tried multiple separate apps for podcasts but it was ultimately pointless. I'm definitely not a "power user" (I listen to 1 podcast), but Spotify handles podcasts just fine.

I did use Pandora - but can't really comment. I never paid for it, and I stopped using it yeeears ago. When I did still use it, I found it was playing 95% song's I'd already "liked" - which wasn't useful.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • List
  10. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,415
    No adverts, premium content uploaded by bands that isn't available on standard. I have Premium for family - up to 6 people, which works out well.

11. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,220
    There are ripping services which will do it for as low as 50 to 70 cents each.

• List
  12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,279
    Now you tell me. It took me 4 years to rip my entire collection :cry:

13. 1claire

1claire Aspirant

+1
    Spotify is my current favorite audio streaming platform.

14. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+38
    I am using Amazon Prime Music, which comes with the Prime subscription. And it's pretty much good enough for my needs so far.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.