Moving vB4 to xenForo - redirects question

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Destroy Repeat, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+80
    Okay, so I haven't been keeping up with what's going on with vB4 > xenForo much. I know there's an import path in XF1 and XF2 which is in beta. I'm going to use XF1 without using same URL's. The source vB4 is owned by someone else, and I am very close to acquiring it.

So, how do I use the redirects to benefit me? I know there's going to be an archive when the import is done. But the site is running vB4.2.1, with vBSEO installed. (Don't know the version number of vBSEO, so I'm dumbfounded there, eh.)

Most URL's are like this: http://[removed].com/35-other-gaming-talk/11600-finally-couple-performance.html

With CODForums, I didn't even bother to worry about this because when I migrated from vB4 to xenForo - Google found the links on their own anyway. Thing is, I don't think that applies today. Especially with the preference for... HTTPS.

Back then, CODForums' vB3 broke on server move, and links were broke here and there thanks to the upgrade to vB4.

For your information, this site is a database with 7,936 Threads, 64,538 Posts, 7,155 Members.

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,863
    On Xenforo tjis question is asked a few times and answered you need special rewrite rules, i think it was SlavikSlavik that can anwser these.

3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,560
    I think the issue (unless it's changed) is he can't post over on the forum over there to get assistance since he's life-time banned if I remember correctly. I don't know if that kind of assistance is provided via support ticket.

4. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,896
    You have to retain ids when importing, install the VB 4 redirect script and setup .htaccess rules for your particular vbSEO layout.

Its much more than Google recrawling the site. When the URL structure has changed you lose all link ranking from outside sites in Google search, pushing your ranking in search down, unless you use 301 redirects to let Google match the exact old url to the exact new url.

5. Destroy Repeat

+80
    My/The main issue is I'm not going to be ID #1, I'm member 7xxx. I'm not sure how to log in after the board is imported after using the "retain IDs" option. I tried it before, and the system... *exasperates* doesn't accept me logging in even after setting myself as super admin.

I already complained the the developers of this problem.

If this was an easy solution, I'd done it to my big board long time ago.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  6. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,863
    Its a non issue that you are either user one or user 5672 it does not matter for the database. The config file is the one that maks you a super admin, its only human perspective that want to be user one. Trying to alter this can result in corrupting the database.

7. Destroy Repeat

+80
    So, if I use "retain ID" I can log in as member #5672? Okay, I will try again with this import and try to do it right this time.

Oh, oh. And, by the way, ID's correspond to the IDs of vBulletin, correct?

8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,863
    Yes just retain the ID's then login and look what number your account has for example here on TAZ i have ID 59161 so if i want to become super admin i need to access config.php and look for:

Code:
    $config['superAdmins'] - default: '1'
    Where the number one is i should on TAZ enter 59161 to become super admin if you want more people as super admin just do 59161, <number>, <number> you can have as many as you want. If you make someone super admin also enable 2 way authentication for more security. You can install the generator on your phone.

9. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,896
    Every member name, no matter how its formatted, will have an ID associated with it in the database. This is regardless of whether you use retain ID or not when importing. VBulletin as well, associates an ID with every user, thread, post, etc. If you retain id,s then the redirect add-on is able to associate the ID in the database with the old VB id.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.