Moving from xf to IPS

Discussion in 'IPS' started by fixer, Mar 9, 2018.

1. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,102
    Thanks for the info.
    And hmmm... How taxing is the keep alive enabled on the server? And hmmm. Probably another stupid question - but is the keep alive enabled generally advised? I would assume yes - considering the aforementioned "F" grade :eek:

J.

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,459
    Yes, it is typically recommended.
    And yes, it can effect server performance if configured incorrectly (say having the window set for to long) but if generally done correctly the server impact is minimal.
    But generally it is a good thing to have.

And the only stupid questions are the ones that you don't gain knowledge from the answer of!

3. binventive

binventive Neophyte

+8
    My site (not currently available for the public) does pretty well on GTmetrix, but less so on https://webpagetest.org

GTmetrix:

upload_2018-3-12_20-32-4.png

webpagetest.org:

I need to look into why the score is so low for "Cache static content". :(

upload_2018-3-12_20-32-54.png

4. binventive

binventive Neophyte

+8
    Ah ha. I disabled my CDN (Beluga), and the score for cache static content went from an F to a C.

upload_2018-3-12_20-43-12.png

But, now the report is suggesting that I use a CDN for all static assets! I noticed, however, that my CDN is not included in their current list of known CDNs. So, in my case, it looks like the cache static content report test isn't a good one for my site, at least with the CDN I am currently using. Good to know either way. Thanks for providing the link to webpagetest.org, Tracy PerryTracy Perry. I was already familiar with GTMetrix, but having a variety of web-testing sites never hurts.

5. Tracy Perry

+3,459
  6. fixer

fixer Just Me

+508
    Wait ...Hold Up...
    Chrome? you put Chrome on your iPhone X?

I wonder if this is a chrome only feature because safari wont do it

7. Tracy Perry

+3,459
    Yep... I am not particularly fond of the Safari interface... even though the underpinnings of Chrome still use it.

I'll try it with Safari <ackkkkk-phblltttt> and see if it works.

EDIT:

Well, hitting the refresh circle at the top of Safari shows new inbound traffic... so apparently it does work.

8. fixer

fixer Just Me

+508
    Most definatly read "<ackkkkk-phblltttt>" just as it sounds :D

9. Tracy Perry

+3,459
    Updated my reply... the refresh icon adjacent the inputted domain works for me.

I don't think the pull to refresh works with Safari. It doesn't on my IPS site nor my WordPress one.

10. fixer

fixer Just Me

+508
    Yeah thats not what i was referring too, i want to be able to pull down when already to the top and force a refresh like 99% of cell phone apps

11. Tracy Perry

+3,459
    Install Chrome! It's not an IPS limitation but a browser one... now you see why I installed Chrome!!!! ;)

12. fixer

fixer Just Me

+508
    <ackkkkk-phblltttt>

would rather be unhappy :(

13. fixer

fixer Just Me

+508
    Some of the items i listed a cons, id take back if i could as they were perceived issues.

I will say beyond a shadow of doubt the number 1 issue with IPS is trying to find what your looking for on thier website , rather it is a add on your looking for or trying to get some advice for a setting or how to change something it is a PITA.

I can search IPS website for an hour for “whos online recently” and get no results or results im not looking for... so i just go to google and search it and it takes me where i want to go

how in the world is google a better search than the site its self is beyond me

another issue is with “what do i search for”

google dont know what “IPS” is or “IPB” and “invision” never ever gets you where you want to go so you have to be very creative ..

Google
    “Invision Community Whos been online”

then maybe just maybe it will take you to the addon, but this addon is crap so i wasted my time :D

i cant say the name of the site but i go to a nulled site and search for the mods i want then copy and paste the name and version of said mod then get it from IPS. that’s my method if google don't work, the nulled site is very precise

14. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,663
    I think it's fair to say all forum search functions are weak. None of them are predictive and none of them seem to be able to pull up logical results based on the search terms used. I generally go straight to Google no matter what the software.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  15. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+480
    You need to do something like:

"site:invisioncommunity.com whos online"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. fixer

fixer Just Me

+508
    You can see staff picks on my site ..

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 6.48.07 PM.png

its really awesome and we all love it! its really engaging the community too.

So i was trying to find out how to enable "staff picks"

and every search term i used sent me to various different IPS forums "Staff Picks" page!

I was like I KNOW WHAT THE DAMN PAGE LOOKS LIKE!!! show me the setting to turn it on! :D

17. ZeroHour

ZeroHour Participant

+41
    • List
  18. fixer

fixer Just Me

+508
  19. Tracy Perry

+3,459
    4.2 and earlier (back to when they removed Sphinx) search sucks... here... let me say it again... it SUCKS!!!!!
    IPS finally acknowledged that after many complaints - and I was one of the ones that probably yelled bloody murder the loudest about the removal of Sphinx and no replacement. In the 4.3 line search is supposedly improved and they will allow the use of ElasticSearch with it now.

20. Tracy Perry

+3,459
    One issue I do have with IPS is their insistence that you MUST maintain an active paid for license to download anything from their marketplace.
    RE: https://invisioncommunity.com/forum...etplace-for-you/?tab=comments#comment-2603085
    (think I pissed Charles off as he gave me a warning for that thread) :whistle:

Even if you have an add-on that you paid for that has "life-time" support and updates - once your IPS license expires you will NOT be getting any updates from their Marketplace (unless this has changed recently as I'm not sure since I simply keep my license updated).

And for anyone that thinks I'm putting IPS "down"... take note that it's the only forum script I currently have running live currently. ;)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.