Most reliable software to monitor traffic statistics

Discussion in 'Finance and Traffic' started by tokyoice, Jan 10, 2017.

1. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+20
    I have used 'Awstats' (comes with cPanel) for years, and always relied on it, but having recently installed Google Analytics we have seen a huge difference in traffic stats compared to awstats.

What would you say the most reliable piece of software is to monitor web traffic? what do you use?

2. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+590
    Google is better. third party. reliable. fairly accurate. takes 2 seconds to install and gives you lots of different metrics to view.

if you ever trade traffic or sell your site, people ALWAYS ask for Google analytics over awstats.

3. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,372
    If you are looking for self hosted, piwik is worth a look :)

4. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+20
    True. I've seen that a few times. Maybe I should continue with Google analytics then. There's just a huge difference when it comes to the number of visits on Awstats and Google Analytics!

Hmm. I'll have a look at that - I was wanting something without the monthly fee.

5. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,319
    Awstats is horrible, in my opinion. I keep raw server logs for diagnostics, bot blocking, etc - but for stats I use Google Analytics. While there have been issues with compromised servers recently which send fake hits to millions of Google Analytics accounts, it's a minor blip compared to the inaccuracies of Awstats which can't discern browsers from bots like Analytics can. Analytics is far more accurate.

6. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+623
    I use Google Analytics + Piwik self hosted - best of both worlds and alot of details to complement each other :D

7. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,319
    ^^^^ I would add to that....

Every analytics user would also greatly benefit from a healthy understanding of grep and awk, with access to raw server logs.

8. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,372
    It free, you can host it yourself.

9. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,372
    As long as you have shell access.

10. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+20
    Unfortunately not! I'm using a regular reseller account without shell access

11. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+590
  12. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+20
    I like their heatmap feature! that's a great idea!

13. john2k

john2k Aspirant

+1
    Regarding "reliability," AWStats might be more reliable since it does what it does using server log files. So, if the server logs the data then the data will be analyzed. But I don't think that necessarily means it's better.

When it comes to logging, accuracy is probably the most important. Unless you're tracking in order to report to other parties, such as advertisers. Advertisers usually prefer trusted third party tracking.

You could always use both methods, Google Adsense & AWStats.

14. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,319
  15. terrymason

terrymason Enthusiast

+17
    AWstats is technically more reliable than Google Analytics.

For example, if some forum is hotlinking to an image on your site, GA isn't going to show that to you, but AWstats is. The issue is that you likely don't care about that, and don't want that hit driving up your stats.

For what it's worth, AWstats helps quite a bit at finding 404 pages, missing images, javascript and the like.

16. maksim

maksim Serial Entrepreneur

+107
    When buying and selling a forum.... or doing any valuation.... all about the Google Analytics.

The others typically over exaggerate the stats.

17. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,319
    Make sure you've implemented filtering to remove the Google Analytics spam which has been increasing at an alarming rate the past year. Spammers have discovered using botnets to send fake hits directly to Google servers without actually visiting your site is a good way to advertise themselves (they put the site they want you to visit in the referrer field).

18. tokyoice

tokyoice Adherent

+20
    Yes! I've actually seen that!

How would I remove this and implement the filtering you have suggested?

19. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,372
    How would they manage that?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted