Mod Swap

Discussion in 'Members & Staff' started by Anonymous, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Habitué

+273
    One of my mods in my opinion is starting to do a really bad job. The main issue is his grammar as he uses "chat speak". Then there is a member on my forum who has perfect grammar, and is very active, a regular poster and manged to easilly end a flame war.

Now I have many options,

1-Shall i just swap there status.
    2-Shall i just warn the mod and hire the member too.
    3-Shall i just warn the mod and not the member.
    4-Shall i just get rid of the mod and hire the member.
    5-Shall i just make them both normal members.

But the mod is a good friend of my other admin, so if i do get rid of that mod how shall i go about telling them.

2. Ollie1

Ollie1 The Only e107 user?

+3
    If the only issue is 'chat speak' then none of the above. Its something that can be discussed.

If you do need to fire a mod, i usually send them a PM saying thank you for your time, and set their status to member. ANY negative reply should be ignored, dont get dragged into an argument about it.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Habitué

+273
    Thanks, By chat speak i also mean spams a bit. I'll have a word with him later, anyway do you think i should hire that member or should i leave it a while?

4. Hopes

Hopes Enthusiast

+2
    I'd suggest writing some moderator guidelines and having a staff meeting (we use a chat room and do it real time) so everyone (including your admins) understand the expectations of moderators which includes behavior, participation, etc. Wait until you've designed and implimented a management structure before even thinking about adding additional mods.

As for the member, keep in mind that many GREAT members don't want to moderate. And sometimes, even if they want to moderate, they lose passion because suddenly coming to the site is work and not fun anymore. It's a tough call because if your site depends on this member's posts for keeping it active, adding moderator responsibilities could reduce the site activity. There's nothing wrong with leaving members who have the ability to squeltch flame wars as members. Members like that add to the quality of the site.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  5. Ollie1

Ollie1 The Only e107 user?

+3
    Your welcome.

If you need another mod, and he fits the bill then definatly. :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted