Misago - Python and Django Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by rafalp, Jan 6, 2013.

1. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    Over last years purple received the opinion of being the "cooler blue" due to not coming with baggage of having any extra meaning or emotional load (like green or red) while being less frequently used than blue in webdesign. Some may find that is contrasts too much with white background that rest of the layout uses, so I may be fine tuning it, but so far I'm liking it.

2. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    Nearly two years ago I've announced the creation of Misago's development chat on Gitter. Today I am announcing that this development chat will be shut down by the month's end.

In its place new chat has been setup using Discord. Discord started out as IM platform for gamers, but it quickly started picking the popularity amongst open source developers with React.js and related projects (Jest.js, Redux, React Router) hosting their community chats here. So we are in good company ;)

To join our Discord and chat with other folk, follow this link: https://discord.gg/fwvrZgB

For start three categories were set up: "general", "introductions" and "translations".

- - - - -

On side note, I feel that this question is worth answering before somebody asks it: I'm finding IM not competition to internet forums, but a great way to complement them. When developing Misago, I'm using IM quite a lot to reach out to the people I'm networked with for quick feedback or brainstorming.

3. Brad

Brad Meh

+1,267
    Hey, thanks for the updates! :) I'm not a fan of Discord but I may break my rule for your channel. I pop in every so often and check the progress, liking the latest changes. :)

4. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    Three things are in pipeline currently:

Social-Auth - this will let you enable sign in with social site on your Misago community. Social Auth provides integrations for impressive number of social sites out of the box (like national sites, eg. polish "nasza klasa"), and it's one of features that I was getting requests for a lot.

Misago-Docker - this will let people who don't know/want to meddle in python setup/configuration get their Misago site up and running fast by buying VPS with docker preinstalled on, say, DigitalOcean, and spinning up the Misago together with all services in less than ten shell commands.

New UI - The way Misago's UI works right now is very confusing to the users unfamiliar with the concept of hybrid JS apps, as well as painful to work with, as it requires you to edit both html templates and React.js components to customize the looks. The fact it was my first React.js APP of such scale and royally screwed up all the things didn't help here in any way. The goal here is to move all presentation to JavaScript application, cut down the server-side templates to bare minimum for web crawlers, and move JavaScript application to separate repository, so people looking to customize Misago, will be able to skip the python part of the task.

5. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    Damm, I've kind of forgot about this thread :|

I've just released Misago 0.20 that makes it all around easier to run forum for people who don't know (or don't care) about Python or meddling in files. There's now guide that shows how to setup Misago forum in 15 minutes on DigitalOcean without having to do any Python. There is a themes system that allows site owners to customize looks from admin panel, and things that required editing of Python configuration files are now editable from admin panel, so you no longer need to dig in html files to set logo image or google analytics.

6. Phrancko

Phrancko Neophyte

+2
    Hi rafalp,

I started using Misago yesterday so I'm just trying to learn to customize it. I see there is a way to install themes, but I don't know how to find any alternative themes to import or how to create one. Can you point me to documentation somewhere that will tell me that?

I loved the ease of installation as well as the functionality so far!

Frank

7. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    Hello!

Themes system is considerably young addiction to the Misago, it was released less than 20 days ago, so I doubt you'll find any themes. ;)

As for creating custom theme: in Misago themes are CSS files + images (media) files. To customize your forum's looks you should create custom theme in admin panel and make it child theme of the default theme. Then you should go to assets edit screen. Here you can add custom styles (CSS) and images/fonts (media). With this you can use CSS to override default look of any forum element with custom look.

There's no "template" editing in Misago because there are not that many templates in it - most of interface is JavaScript components. After Single Sign On release, I will be exploring interface update (I have quite a few ideas how to make Misago look more attractive) and potential plugin system.

BTW, you've mentioned on Misago forums that you wanted to customize navbar's template. Could you share what was it missing? I am always looking for a ways to make it easier to customize Misago, but I need that knowledge to actually know what needs my attention ;)

8. Phrancko

Phrancko Neophyte

+2
    I hate to bother you again, as you have been so helpful already. But I have looked all through admincp and cannot find the "assets edit screen" anywhere. Can you please tell me where to find that?

9. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    Once you have created custom theme, you can click its options button on themes list. Assets edit is first option:

Zrzut ekranu 2019-08-4 o 17.14.54.png

10. Phrancko

Phrancko Neophyte

+2
    Great!! Thanks so much. I have made a small modification to the theme that makes the header look more like the main site.

11. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,404
    I like your accent and your English is good :) I had to laugh at the intro voice right at the very start of the Podcast, I'm sure that was a robot talking :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.