Misago - Python and Django Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by rafalp, Jan 6, 2013.

1. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
  2. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    Rafal, were you serious about the thread split? If so, could you please tell me what post number to what post number to split from this thread? Thank you.

3. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    Hummm, nah, let it be, its more likely that it will help somebody else here than in other thread. Thanks for stepping up through.

4. Casmic

Casmic Software Developer

+32
    I ran the command and still got the Django not installed error. It's fine if this is split off, but you still need to get your act together. You need to rewrite your tutorial from start and test it to make sure the commands you tell us to use actually work.

5. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    I've contacted Kasper about this, he'll be loking into it (he's is awesome Vagrant ninja, I stick to venv's in deployments).

Srsly though bro, dont you think tone of your last message is too demanding considering this is not stable software (things will break and go out of sync frequently) and you didn't try to seek help from other contributors on support forums?

6. Casmic

+32
    Sorry about that. However, I think it's in all of our bests interests that this not be another one of those open source packages which works very well, but is a real pain to install because its developers did not bother to document it. I am interested in installing your system so that I can check out some of the portions which aren't on your public-facing support forums, like the admin interfaces. I want to help the project and I even donated a few days ago.

If you want feedback while you're developing, you're going to have to work on the install process fairly early on. I'm sorry for being a bit blunt in my last post. I've had some bad experiences with open-source stuff that's terribly documented. That, however, shouldn't be a distraction from the fact that we need you to streamline this bit of the code before we can help you.

7. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    Kasper has updated Vagrant configuration on develop branch. Could you try now and let me know how it works?

Thanks!

8. aomtealfox

aomtealfox Enthusiast

+7
    Hey Rafio, might be good to post an update on where you're at with your project. I know it's been progressing, but I guess for the peeps who aren't paying close attention might be good for them to know too!

9. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    Hopefully by the end of the year Misago will see 0.5 feature release, making software MVP, aka "having all core features implemented in one form or another". Then plenty of months for deck swabbing that will consist off:

- cleaning up all the problems that were found with codebase
    - increasing test coverage of api from pathetic 0.001% to something more reasone (there's no concrete number here)
    - make Misago play nicely with Django ecosystem (so "hackers" can use django packages to expand their Misago installations into complete sites)
    - update Bootstrap to 3.x and reorganize templates/js/stylesheets so its easier to make changes to UI/appearance
    - improve core features (think of paste/drag&drop feature for post editor for example)
    - improve compliance with Python coding standards (say PEP8)
    - write documentation for "public" API's
    - add Misago to PyPI (Python Package Index), which will make it possible to create/update Misago installations via single shell command, as well as have it as recognized package in other projects dependencies, making it installed automagically when you setup your project.

After all this work happens, I'll look at Misago's performace for few weeks before making call about official beta tests and conquering the world, hopefully. ;)

...and this is assuming I will settle on niche I want to promo Misago in.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  10. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
  11. meetdilip

meetdilip Tazmanian Master

+733
    Nice to see NodeBB author in comment list. Such things doesn't happen often. :)

12. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    Misago 0.5 has been released.

This release brings user warnings and destroying spammers as well as and roughtly a dozen bugfixes to Misago.

The plan for coming months is to cleanup and improve implemented features as well as bring in documentation and tests suite and update used libs. I'm hoping all this will happen before 2014 ends, and so I will be able to keep promise of making first testing release in 2014.

13. Casmic

+32
    Have you posted any pictures of the admin/moderator UI?

14. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    Sometime ago, but if you want I'll make new ones tomorrow. :)

15. Casmic

+32
    That would be appreciated. :)

16. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    And here they are:

Zrzut ekranu 2014-01-21 o 06.14.02.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2014-01-21 o 06.14.14.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2014-01-21 o 06.14.23.png

Nothing impressive really, just flattened bootstrap 2.3, however UI update is coming for both frontend, emails and admin, just waiting to see how far will bootstrap dudes go before I'll have to get to it.

17. VICE

VICE tool

+695
    Quick question: is Misago responsive?

18. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    If by "responsive" you mean "lets shove everything that we can't fit on screen into dropdowns" like everybody else apparently does, then no, its not.

I haven't looked into it too much, but Misago UI will most likely follow RESS approach which is responsivenes + device optimization that allows UI to replace big display oriented UI with small screen ones.

AFAIK this is approach used by Twitter and LinkedIn and they claim its better UX for their users than pure responsiveness.

Edit: Woltlab guys actually got it. They still have dropdowns here and there and UI elements that require you to be marine scout sniper to click, but IMHO its best RD implementation in forum software currently available.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  19. VICE

VICE tool

+695
    OK, just curious.
    Any estimation time for Misago going responsive?

20. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    I'm curious too, is it primary feature expected from today software? Not new features, new approaches to problems, but media queries in css? ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.