Migration from phpBB how to continue

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by we_are_borg, Nov 26, 2019.

1. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
    I’m migrating from phpBB this needs to be done from Xenforo 1.5.x because 2.x does not have the function to do it. I want to run version 2.x but how to continue. I have tested the import from phpBB to Xenforo a few times and import seems good. But now i need to make sure every option is checked and all permissions and user groups are good. But do i this on version 1.5.x or 2.x if i do this on 1.5.x then i need to recheck everything again on 2.x. If i check on 2.x only then i my miss something in setting or something else. Is it save to check everything on 2.x or should i not do this?

2. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Fan

+326
    I would advise you to ignore option settings and usergroup settings in XF at first.

When you make the import to XF 1.5, make sure everything important was migrated correctly, such as posts, attachments or stuff like likes and trophies (if they do get imported, I don't know). And that url redirects are working. Or see if you have to replace bbcode syntax from old software etc. Those stuff takes time and planning.

And then make the upgrade to 2.1, and start with fresh usergroup settings and options. They are the least important thing and can be done anytime you want and changed anytime you want.

3. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+165
    I think it's safe to check everything on XF2.

4. we_are_borg

+2,127
    well there are two attachments in the system and there not needed anymore so losing them is not the end of the world. Avatars (where not included in files) the same thing i only got the phpBB files and the database even the add-ons and style where not transferred to use. The original domain can’t be transferred at the moment so we have a new domain. This means i do not have to do redirects because Google has not yet indexed the site and will not know about the old site. The site needs to be indexed but i have not yet informed Google to go ahead with that, at this point i will wait until i’m done. The bbcode is going to be though they had many and i do not know if everything can be set on Xenforo. I know that we might lose some quality in the posts but less is always better. I will start making a document what needs to be done when main database is converted to XF 2.x make sure their no surprises when converting is done i want to make sure everything is done in a 24 hour window. I only have one attempt this weekend else i run out of energy and have to wait a week to try again.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Fan

+326
    You should make that before you import to XF 1.5.
    The update to XF 2.1 is pretty straightforward.

The problem is the migration from phpBB.
    Nothing eats more time than to realize you forgot something in the migration process and you have to do the migration again.
    So, when you are already in XF 2.x and you realize you messed up something, then you would have to go back and do the migration again, and then upgrade again. To save all that time, make sure the migration is completed flawlessly. Double check everything.
    Then, do the upgrade and do the easy things like usergroup settings etc.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  6. we_are_borg

+2,127
    The migration it self i have done three times all with same result. I know what to press in what order and the time it takes including me resting. The document that i need now is what to check and do that i have same posts and function as in the old phpBB install.

7. we_are_borg

+2,127
    I have one issue i like to solve, there YouTube links in posts that are just links i would love to see them turn up as video’s. I cant edit all posts one at the time is there an automated way.

8. salem

salem Adherent

+84
    Search and replace if it's bbcode used , if it was auto embed (3.1 &3.2 ) with the full address without the url bbcode then the similar xenfora plugin (s9e) will do the job , may need to reparse the links , mind and back up first when using find & replace .

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  9. we_are_borg

+2,127
    Everything is sorted for migration, waiting till i have vacation in 2 days then i am going to start. Going to remove usergroups first because they aren’t used, then install Xenforo, migrate, check if board is closed and so on. I have screen shots for usergroups how to set the settings etc. i know what add-ons i need. I know when I commit the ride will take about 5 to 6 hours. So this means i need to know if i can do it in one go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.