Might have found FREE vBulletin...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by BillKill, Feb 2, 2007.

1. BillKill

BillKill Enthusiast

+0
    Please, I need people to look at this and tell me if they think it is legit or not. They say they offer free vBulletin and hosting to members, but why? And I need someone to tell me if it is a scam or not. And actually look, don't just say that it is a scam and never look again.

http://forumdrop.com/

2. C1ay

C1ay Aspirant

+0
  3. BillKill

BillKill Enthusiast

+0
    Oh my God!! A true free vBulletin host!!! That is absolutely amazing.

4. C1ay

C1ay Aspirant

+0
    Not really free. They'll provide the software in order to help you build an audience for their advertising....

5. BillKill

BillKill Enthusiast

+0
    Yea, but they host you for free and give you vBulletin for free.

6. pentapenguin

pentapenguin Adherent

+2
    I had no idea there were free vB hosts. Interesting. :)

7. bex

bex Adherent

+0
    Well the main thing i'd worry about is that they don't have much information about it on their website. It says there are no up front costs that you have to pay, it doesn't say if you have to pay anything later. This part from the other services section "Additional Skin Setup fees (please note all skin additions will add an additional $20.00 upgrade fee when it is time to upgrade the vBulletin Software): $35.00" suggests that maybe you will have to pay something when they upgrade. It also says that website hosting is not currently offered, so all you get is the forum and not a website to go with it. And lastly, the forum will still be owned by them as they are the license owners, therefore what's to stop them taking your forum away?

8. BillKill

BillKill Enthusiast

+0
    I think they register a new license in your name. But if they don't it is still vBulletin, and as of now, I don't have the funds to buy a license so they are the best shot that I have.

9. SpilltheBeans

SpilltheBeans Adherent

+0
    According to their faq it's their license:
    It looks like they do offer hosting, but I think it's one of those things where they don't just accept any forum. If your forum has little chance of being successful, they probably won't take you. Also, if your forum becomes successful and you want to go on your own, what is the "out" clause? Who owns the users and posts? Very important to know.

10. C1ay

C1ay Aspirant

+0
    No, read http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213777 again, particularly post 7.

They let you use their license, not put it in your name. They give you administrator status, not super administrator status. They enable you to build an audience for them but I'd imagine it is not a community that you could someday transfer to your own copy of vb elsewhere.

11. Morganna

Morganna Mistress of Mayhem

+4,809
    Well let's look at this shall we. You don't have super admin access so you can't take backups of your database, you can't install custom styles, you can't install plug ins or any other type of template modification.

The "graciously" allow you to choose one extreme pixels style to use with the forum - so I would surmise that EP have something to do with this - and they kindly charge $32 an hour - charged at half hour increments - for any plug ins you'd like installed....

Ummm... I think I'll stick with purchasing an owned licence and hosting and installing my own, thanks :p

12. bigtop

bigtop Enthusiast

+0
    so...I just signed up...Im I screwed?

13. Morganna

Morganna Mistress of Mayhem

+4,809
    Only if you want to customise your style, keep a backup of your database or add some funky modifications like blogs, gallerys, basic postbit additions, arcades, spam filters, and the million and one other lovely things you get access to for FREE when you buy the licence for yourself...................

14. PacMan

PacMan Tazmanian

+197
    Let us know when they set you up.

15. Sarah

Sarah Habitué

+4
    Yes, also they're going to register a domain for you in their name. Seems like they could just keep everything. And with no db access, they don't even have to give you a copy.

This is on the application:

"Hey what an awesome idea for a forum! Application denied!"

My other favorite part is how "Support" is just a link to vbulletin.com.

16. PacMan

PacMan Tazmanian

+197
    That wont get you anything.

17. C1ay

C1ay Aspirant

+0
    You're right. Real support requires the owners customer number and customer password in order to enter the members area at vBulletin. I'd bet that ForumDrop is not going to provide these.

18. PacMan

PacMan Tazmanian

+197

You wont even get forum support. The way I see it, all you will do is manage a forum that you dont own. All this for a Vbulletin license? :bonk:

19. joeymntgmry23

joeymntgmry23 Aspirant

+0
    interesting, but I think I will just stick with invision for now, and purchase vbulletin later when I have sufficient funds and can install whatever tickles mt fancy =)

20. Discussions

Discussions Adherent

+1
    It's a nice concept and one whose time has come. I personally own several Vbulletin licenses so I would not use them for my own use. But, for those who are wanting to start a forum for free, instead of using IPB or PHPBB - they can now go with the very best.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted