Mental Health Concerns

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by fixer, Feb 7, 2019.

1. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+747
    You may want to consider a thread offering help to others... here is ours..

https://www.mymilitia.com/forums/topic/57514-mental-health-concerns/

You don't want to be in a situation where you were given an opportunity to help someone and ignored it.

I personally have had an active forum member, commit murder and fake his own death on a previous forum I owned/managed it's not a good feeling, do something even if its just supplying help numbers.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+747
    someone, please correct the typo in the title, wont let me

3. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,251
    Nice work fixerfixer. It might behoove you though to add a section for members of the LGBTQ community, as with the current political climate - it seems to be one of the largest groups of people at risk of potentially hurting themselves or most in need of ways to overcome mental health / negative self-image concerns ... Was this particular piece of information intentionally left off of your site? Maybe you didn't think that it would benefit your memberbase? Perhaps your forum memberbase would likely frown on information given to help boost the moral of the LGBTQ community? Anyway - just an idea and a few questions :D

Otherwise, as someone battling the hell out of mental illness - I just wanted to say good looking out.
    Cheers.

J.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+687
    Nice one Fixer, it's always good to have on hand some of the numbers and links in your post for people.

Google also offers up numbers to help people when you search for various search terms.

upload_2019-2-8_13-4-32.png

upload_2019-2-8_13-9-13.png

An interesting idea for an add on on busy boards could be a bot that replies to posts with certain keywords, linking to a help thread like yours.

For example, it could auto post under dedicated user:

"We noticed you used the term 'suicide' in your post, please know that help is available. Refer to this page for more information"

And link off to a dedicated help page on your site or an official site elsewhere.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  5. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+945
    My whole site is geared towards helping people overcome loneliness and part of that includes helping those with mental health issues that are either exacerbated or caused through loneliness. I do believe that most sites should offer such a forum so members can express their views, opinions and feelings which others could help with (even if just empathising) as that sense of 'being alone' can often lead to acts being committed out of character.

https://lonelypeople.co.uk

A number of Circles for people with specific issues.

;)

6. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+186
    I really like your forum, nice theme and very friendly, well written and clear, nice job!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  7. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+156
    I run a medical health site. We aren't professionals so all we offer is our own experiences even if it flies in the face of medical protocol as most medical professionals are trained "if you hear hoof beats, think horses". Well, most of us are Zebras...and some of us are spotted zebras on top of that. We help people think outside the box of the standard medical profession. Some of what affects many is mental health. We tread very lightly there but offer support and caring. In over 5 years, we've only had one come across as a possible suicide. As one regular member is a Mandated Reporter of Abuse or Suicide, we have options many don't.

8. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+687
    Alternatively you can make some cracking memes tailored to your audience.

After all, it's in our best interest to stop our members from offing themselves, it destroys the daily active user stats.

self dead.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+124
    Do you honestly believe he left it out intentionally to offend people? I mean I understand we (all) need to be inclusive but seriously he cant included every group, gender, culture, sex etc...

so frustrating.

10. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+945
    I feel for a great number of people who suffer from any kind of ailments, including mental health problems which are far reaching. As I mentioned in a previous post my site is primarily about loneliness, and people with mental health problems can find themselves in a very lonely place, but there are many, many issues that need to be addressed a fair number of which overlap other issues. I have a number of microsites on my main site called Circles and I have attempted to cover as many bases as possible, but the story is just beginning and more help and support is needed in many sectors.

These are my microsites at the moment, I have a few others in mind but if anyone would like to suggest an area that is not covered and could be linked to mental health issues please feel free to recommend away.

https://lonelypeople.co.uk/clubs/

;)

11. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+687
    Wow, that looks ace with the banners you've added!

12. PoetJC

+5,251
    I'd hope not but yes I do.
    That's why I asked. And the question is valid. It's why I suggested the course of action.

And it shouldn't be frustrating if you actually care about true inclusivity! Period.

J.

13. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+747
    Hard to cover every defect in the human psyche

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  14. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+747
    Good Call R0binHoodR0binHood No Help number but i bought 3 of the books

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 6.35.13 PM.png

15. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+687
    I also googled that after spending too much time here on TAZ hoping it might give me some insight on how to put up with you.

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  16. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+747
    [​IMG]

17. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+687
    [​IMG]

18. PoetJC

+5,251
    This is exactly why I asked the questions I asked. And as expected - the answer is basically **** YOU - YOU DEFECTIVE PSYCHO!!

And that sux huge, robust donkey balls ... It's an inhumane reply. And leads me to believe that this whole entire thread which feigns caring for those suffering with mental illness enough to "offer help to others" = Is in actuality BS posted by someone who obviously doesn't give a damn about all of society. Meh...

Whatever fellas.

J.

19. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+847
    I read it as asking if was an intentional omission intended to not offend his userbase, not members of the suggested additional section. The question if so, is based on assumption driven by bias. She assumes it might have been omitted because his userbase is a bunch of right wing deplorables?

If so, of course it's okay since this type of predjudicial bias is okay or not, depending on your own identity politics tribe.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.