Making FaceBook Pages & Twitter for your forums

VegasDave

Aspirant
Do you do this?

I've made pages for 2 of my 3 forums. Got a few hits from them but nothing special.

I'm sure I'm not using them right. Only a handful of likes and followers.

What do you post on your Facebook pages? What do you Tweet?

Any tips on using these tools effectively would be appreciated.

Phil_Tanny

Florida Nature Nut
I have no useful answers here, but thanks for the question. I'd like to see this discussed as well.

dotpeddler

Aspirant
We use both and though our forums are popular we are frankly just getting started on both Facebook and Twitter with just about 1500 followers/likes apiece.

We use them to promote new content, forum events, promotions, giveaways, etc.

After about two months of good attention to these channels we find it is worth it to pursue these channels as it does bring traffic and new members.

How effective are they?

We are a Christmas forum so we're seasonal any way but this year we had 450 new member registrations versus the same period a year ago and I credit every single one of those to social media (July is typically not our time of year, obviously).

My only criticism of social media is that it is just one more thing to do.....and it is work.

webby88

Participant
I'm sort of in the same boat. I've got 300+ followers that seem to be my target audience, but don't really know how to reach them.

susan4794

Aspirant
We use twitter quite a bit, posting links to reviews and posts on our forums. We have a facebook page, but really don't do anything with it.

PetersWeb

Aspirant
I use feedburner to create an RSS feed containing my Adsense and then use it to automatically tweet new posts.

SpottySocks

Participant
We use Facebook primarily. Mainly to keep members informed if the forum for some reason goes offline or keep them up to date when we are updating the forum software etc. We have got Twitter but don't tend to use it much. The forum software we use is vBulletin and there's a plugin where you can automatically post new threads onto the Twitter page, which is fab, but for some reason I can't get it to work. :rant2:

T3chn0

Fan
Yeah I use them as a back up as well and for reminders of important events.

Also, now that Facebook posts similar pages, I wonder if that will lead to some conversions although conversely, some of your members might join elsewhere as it shows up on your page too.

graymax

Aspirant
The thing that concerns me here is starting from absolutely 0 on the Twitter side. A lot of our competition already has thousands of followers. Maybe that's not such a big deal? Or maybe the followers flock after a few weeks of good content?

MesserStuhl

Aspirant
Have no interest in having Facebook or Twitter page at the moment since past experiences didn't work too well.

pamela7777

Aspirant
I always thought twitter and facebook wont help unless you already have followers is that true?